Your Opinion Of Phuket

grumpyoldman

So in another thread here on the forum, there were some far from favorable opinions of Phuket from people who I am not sure are qualified to make the conclusions they had come to.

I like it here, thus why I live here.

One member pm'd me about how humiliated I would be on the forum if I posted this as a topic. O.K., I'm up for a challenge and laugh at the "humiliation" bit as if you don't have face to begin with how can you lose face?

But I'd like to preface this thread with one particular item and that is when you state your opinion let us know how long you have been in Phuket, as I believe the opinions of overseas members here that spend one month a year in Patong will not be the same as those of us who actually live in nicer parts of the island year around.

So an impromptu poll if you will:

How long have you been in Phuket or are you a visitor ?

What is your opinion of Phuket?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I first came to Thailand in 2001, with large amounts of time between now and then spent back home in America. Cumulatively I have lived here about 5 years now.

It's true a lot of the problems and complaints we hear from locals and tourists now weren't as serious as back then. Also, a lot of complaints I hear are not endemic to Phuket. Despite these problems (and I have done my fair share of complaining) I still very much enjoy it here and have no plans to leave any time soon. Maybe only one or two people I have known have left the island and relocated elsewhere since I have lived here. Most of the 20 or so people that were in my social circle back in 2001 are still here and are happy here.

My opinion of Phuket....it still has a lot of it's charm it had pre-2000's, but you just need to go farther away from the tourist centers to find it. Most would agree the unabated development is out of control, but the upside to that is if you are one of those that likes creature comforts, like fantastic food, air conditioned shopping malls, and world class movie theaters, we have all that now.

Patong is Patong. Agressive rude touts, extortionate, drunk and violence prone tuk tuk/taxi mafia, lots of alcohol and wholesale sex for sale. It's good for what it is good for. A night out on the piss with the lads. Certainly these things can be found in other areas of Phuket too, and the tuk tuk cancer is definitely spreading, but still, if that's not your thing, just avoid it. And avoid the tuk tuks at all cost and you'll probably be fine. For those that live in Patong, such as the OP, they know what it is about, they know how to play the game, and how to stay out of trouble.

I suspect there is much of Phuket that many residents and regular visitors of Patong and Phuket do not know exist here. Of the respondents here I wonder how many have made it up to Khaoo Phrya Taao National Park and the waterfalls, or walked the deserted beaches of Nai Yang, Bang Tao, or Mai Khao, or mountain biked around Bang Wad dam, or up Radar Hill, or ridden a off road motorcycle through the jungles east of the many beach towns, or watched the sunset from the windmill at Promthep Cape as the remote control gliders and paragliders get in their last flight of the day, or had dinner from one of the beach restaurants on Rawaii Beach, or explored the Sino-Portuguese architecture and temples of old-Phuket town, or been to the hot springs in Kok Kloy just north of Sarasin Bridge, and area now being called "Greater Phuket," There is surfing, scuba diving, ocean kayaking, kiteboarding, wakeboarding, horseback riding, mountain climbing, white water rafting, ATV tours, elephant trekking, Muay Thai camps, beach volleyball, football clubs, the list goes on and on. There is so much that can be done here.

If adventure's not your thing, you can always join one of the many clubs on the island. You can join a wine club, a curry club, Patong Rotary, Patong Lions Club, US Navy League, or Chicky-net for female expats. There is also an International Business Association of Puket (IBAP)if your into business on the island. There is always something happening on the island, just take a look through the last few pages of the Gazette or Post.

On the negative side of things, when I go to Khao Lak, Krabi, or even Samui/Tao to a certain degree, for business or holiday, the kindness of the people and the general calmness when compared to Patong and some other tourist areas in Phuket is very evident. To understand why, one only needs to realize that the Thai's in Phuket are almost always from somewhere else and come to Phuket purely for economic reasons, which makes many of us more long term residents feel more "local" than the locals at times. (I am sure I am not the only one here who has found themselves in a role-reversal where we are asked to guide or give advice to Thai's because they are new or just visiting Phuket.) Don't get me wrong, there are many many wonderful Thai's living and working here. Most Thai's and expats living here that have experienced other parts of Thailand will know what I am talking about. There is a bit more greed seen in Phuket than other areas of Thailand, and that is, IMHO, at the heart of it's problems, but it is manageable.

But after a day or so away, I always miss Phuket and wish to return. Maybe it's just the familiarity, or maybe I miss the variety, or maybe it's the lifestyle. Probably a bit of each.

8 or 9 year resident.

Lots of life has improved, net connections, first world items, foodstuffs, etc.. Tho lots has got worse, summed up by the 'culture of greed' feelings and short sightedness and 'me first' attitude to aspects of the islands development by those that control it. I tend to see the same effects in other Thai areas that are developed enough to have the amenities I need. Giving up the island life for CM is definitely a strong contender.

If my wife had the passport I carry I dont think I would be living here, but within Thailand replicating Phukets travel connections is not easy.

or even Samui/Tao to a certain degree

On Samui right now with Tao coming this week.. Finding Lamai so peaceful.. The 1 bed (4 room) bungalow I am renting in a nice resort, with pool, gardens, wifi and ubc etc is 3000 a week.. The music scene (club land) so much more prevalent and the people real easy going. I always read Samui is more lawless and crime and violence more a factor but I never see it.

On the downside.. Just getting on and off the island is a pain in the arse.. Visa runs costly and time consuming, harder to access good ride terrain (on road), and just a lack of access to 21st century things (try finding a smartphone for sale, even the electric is up and down, let alone internet). It would be a problem to work online or trade if this service is the norm.

Great to chill and for a vacation, but frustrating to live with is you need those services as I do.

Phuket has many imperfections, but so does almost anywhere. Big problems with day-to-day living here are the many rude Thai youngsters, the trash/garbage along the roads, and the aggressive vendors and tuk-tuk drivers.

But if you own a boat or like the beach then this is the place to be. An overnight sail down to Langkawi, cruise around the islands, some real fishing ... nowhere else in the LOS even comes close.

I have been there only once and that was back in the 1990's Will never go back was crowded,busy and everyone was obvious in their approach that they were there only for the money. If they couldnot rip you off they just got nasty

Who needs that. From what I have heard it just keeps getting worse.

I have been a frequent visitor to Phuket since 2000...had umpteen holidays there,with a partner and can speak/understand some Thai especially when shopping dining drinking etc.

I have many very good memories of the place but in the last 3 -5 years the place has been rapidly over-developed.

However most of the island has succumbed to the Greed and scam culture.Many establishments stil try to fiddle the bill...even when you have a trusted thai partner.

Very overpriced...the 2 tier Thai.farrang price is well used...it just seems you need to have 4 sets of eyes.

Even with The £ low in exchange...most other parts of Thailand offer affordable hassle free enjoyment in comparison.

I am happy to see in the current economic climate ...that Thais in that region are suffering due to their greed with more visitors steering clear.My partner concurs entirely with my views...and feels embarrassed at many of the thai practices here.

It needs to take a long hard look at its practices then folk will come back....But there a very forward thinking culture ...are they?

Left in August 2005 after working there 18 months. Returned April 2007 and left after 3 days and not been back since. Reminds me of benidorm or majorca in the 80's but more expensive and seedy. Everything overpriced from taxis to sunbeds. Really just a more expensive version of Pattaya. :(

Lets start this where it all originated to be fair to grumpy old mate..

this all came about from another thread, not the right place for sure, as was on a murder story.. but this is good, oportunity for members to discuss and debate our little islands points

as follows is the gist of the matter;

]asiawatcher, on 2010-06-24 14:32, said

Whilst the majority of people who have been in Thailand more than few years would concur that Phuket, Thailand's little tourist magnet, is a shit hole, and whilst the Mafia hide behind their charms and gold chains whilst creating havoc, breaking every law possible, scamming and defrauding and yes, murdering, it is not to say all Buddhists are this way inclined. There is also a strong possibility the woman was murdered by a tourist, who would fall under the Christian (or other) Mafia who hide behind their crosses and gold chains whilst creating havoc, breaking every law possible, scamming and defrauding and yes, murdering. ohmy.gif

But the whole scenario of Phuket stinks, continues to stink and is full of two legged vermin irrespective of race, creed, colour or religion. A shame the beauty of the place is the draw card into the cesspool Thailand thinks is a gem. annoyed.gif

No-one deserves to die at the hand of another, especially in a brutal way. We as a race of so called intelligence in the animal kingdom have a lot to learn and we are the only animals in the food chain that kill for no reason!unsure.gif

grumpyoldman, on 2010-06-24 18:19, said:

Asiawatcher I see that you don't say where you are from, so to going throwing out that Phuket is such a "shithole" without saying how much time you have spent here, makes your post irrelevant and absurd.

That you put words in people's mouths with "Whilst the majority of people who have been in Thailand more than few years would concur that Phuket, Thailand's little tourist magnet, is a shit hole" is just a joke. Have you done a poll on this or is this just your ego driven assessment?

Mods should delete your post, it's crap.

my reply

wow how dare someone post something that you dont agree with!

phuket is a ''shithole'' without doubt and we who think so have a right to freedom of expression just as you do.

also who do you really think you are to suggest that the mods should delete that post just because itis ''crap'' in your opinion?

its a forum oh grumpy one..a place where people can post their own views ,is it not?

how boring would a forum be if we all had the same views , whether right or wrong?

grumpyoldman, on 2010-06-24

The conclusion is not valid as it is stated that many people's opinions are involved, when in fact they are not.

If it is such a shithole why am I now sitting on the beach looking at beautiful blue/green water, islands, looking forward to an afternoon on the beach, maybe some surfing, for sure some beach volleyball, same on the schedule for tomorrow. Oh well I guess one (I guess with you it makes two) goofball's shithole is another's paradise.................

my reply;

is this a trick question maybe?why are you sitting on a beach looking etc etc,?

;wow i really dont know..maybe you are bored silly i really dont know , but if you are on any phuket beach for ;first you would have had to find a spot with no dog <deleted> //FACT

then you find aspot with no rubbish, both on the beach and in the water...;near impossible//FACT

looking at beautiful blue/green water..where?5555 now you are really strreeetttccchhiinng your rose tinted views ..wow grumpy also near impossible...its all brown and full of sewerage// FACT

volleyball yep i agree you will find some volleyball game somewhere a few volleyball games on patong , but very gay..not for me but up to you .

all the above tell me as was quoted a ''shitehole'' and if you want to call it paradise ..well mate thats your prerogative i suppose.i reckon your opinion would not be a common one except for a few others in rose tints i feel that maybe if you came from Ethiopia or some 3rd world landlocked country ,yes phuket would seem like paradise

your problem apart from rose tinteds is also that you are not able to post without insulting people to make your point

calling me a goofball, and calling anothermembers post ''crap'' and ego-driven basically shows what sort of person you really are i guess and is totally unnecessary and probably against the forum rules / Yes?

when you come back from you exiting day out grumps go through just a few of the thousands of posts that really do show the fact that phuket is a ''shitehole'' its all on here mate!

you can live in denial as long as you like, but the facts are as presented by many many fellow members..not just us two goofballs mate!

that brings us up to date and i stick to my point inthat i agreed with what asiawatcher said..

it is in fact a shitehole ..that is my opinion about phuket,and as i have lived here near every low season for some 20 years [read my ''about me'' ] i feel i have the neccessary time spent to form this opinion

i have watched it gradually turn from 'near paradise' to an unattractive greed driven hole, not in any way paradise as grumpy would have us believe...those rose tinteds sure do distort the truth

because of commitments and long term agenda i will continue to live here and make the most of the few good points left here and the arrangement i have is perfect

i accept the fact that it is a shitehole and get on with life here...no rosetints on me..sorry but i can only tell it how it really is.

i love it here for the fun and sex up front and honest!

grumpy old man if you really believe that phuket is paradise because of what you originally said..re; beaches ,views, green/blue water [ thats the best laugh] you would be lost for words if you got out and visited;

just to name a few...near;;beaches of east coast viet nam esp Mui Ne or Boracay in phillipines or bali beaches where at least you can surf.

go a little futher to aus where i spend time ..thousands of prime spots as you called paradise in phuket but without all the <deleted> mate!!

Edited by ausinpatong

I've been here for nearly 9 years and still enjoy it, I have a young family and a move up to CM may be on the books in a few years but I have a pretty extensive list of pretty cool friends here. It IS expensive and you can be ripped off if you aren't careful but it's still a pretty cool place,

I have come to Phuket for the last 15 years for my 6 weeks vacation and still love it. Now I know my way around the island and it make a big difference compare to the first time visitor. The beaches are very nice (personally I don't like Patong Beach), good choice of restaurants, good hotels and nice services. Since I am a long time visitor I know my way around the scams and I don't use the tuk tuk service so it takes out a lot of painful experience. When I want to escape from Phuket I take a ferry and go to Krabi (Ao Nang).

Remember Phuket is much more than just Patong.

Edited by NamKAheng

I lived in Patong in 2005 on Soi Ha Sip Pee, for about 9 months. It's as far as I could get from town. Patong was a hole, but it was fun for a while. I went back to the US for a few months as I had to do some work. I moved into my present house in Rawai in July, 2006. There are still some nice areas, and I know many native Phuket Thais here and I am treat as a local. All the shop owners I know always ask my GF where I am if I don't come with her. I know where to get most things for the best prices around. My landlord's son is the president of The Rawai Long Tail Boat Association, and they treat me as part of their family. I live in their family compound and under their protection. I'm Invited to family functions and gatherings. So, I guess I have a sheltered life. I never have a problem with Phuket Immigration, I just got another year extension of my visa in less than 30 minutes. It took that long because the Immigration officer and I were chatting about family and things, like the world cup. It takes me maybe 10 minutes to do my 90 day reporting. I don't like the insane development going on all around, but it seems to happen everyplace I've ever lived.

I still have a house at the coast in California and go there once a year or so, as I have a daughter at a university there and I have a job that I can work whenever I want. I've thought about moving to another part of Thailand as my GF has 40 Rai, but I may keep my house here and California too. I am not anchored here, but I'm comfortable here. I have a car and two motorbikes to get around. Tuk tuks only bother me when they are in front of me and there's no place to pass, but there are few down on this end of the island. The airport taxi's are a rip off, compared to Bangkok. But way cheap compared to the US!

I just hate the moat daeng fi (fire ants)! I'm also not big on high season, but somehow I suffer through it... I don't think I can live in Pattaya, Hua Hin, Rayong, Chon Buri or Cha Am areas. Talk about brown water. I tried Bangkok for a few months, It was smelly, and dirty. But the Subway and Sky Train were a great way to get to some places. Chang Mai was too smoggy or smokey, Chang Rai was okay, Kanachanaburi was fun for a while too. I wasn't big on Krabi either. So, I'll hang out in Phuket until I find somewhere I like better...

ScubaBuddha gives a very nice description of the variety of quality experiences you can have in this relatively small province.

After nearly two years here (and 30 years in other parts of Thailand) I am continually impressed by the diversity of shops, restaurants, and neighborhoods in Phuket.

Another surprise is how inexpensive it can be to live comfortably here. I can get along fine on 15,000 baht a month. If I want to splurge a bit, I can move it up to 20K baht. It's up to me how posh to live.

The selection of quality used books I think is better in Phuket than any other province in the country (except, perhaps, Bangkok).

If you enjoy a Thai seafood-based diet, there are fantastic choices of quality food at low prices (e.g., 40 baht or less per meal).

I strongly concur with SB's observation that many (2/3) of the residents in Phuket are from somewhere else, and are probably here to make some money and then leave.

Thus, there is little incentive for them to get to know the farang customers, most of whom are tourists and will only spend a few days or weeks here.

So, it takes a longer time to be recognized as a genuine local in Phuket and, therefore, someone worth getting to know.

This makes Phuket less outwardly friendly to the ex-pat than, say, a typical provincial town in the northeast. But once you become recognized as a bona fide resident then the locals open up and are quite friendly.

In sum, like few other provinces in Thailand, you can tailor your own life-style in Phuket: from hi-so yachting, and fine wine dining to simple living among million-dollar views.

Yes -- there are the scammers, the trash dumps, and rusting, abandoned housing projects. But, as said, if you know how to peer through the weeds, you'll see the orchids.

• Like 1

ScubaBuddha gives a very nice description of the variety of quality experiences you can have in this relatively small province.

After nearly two years here (and 30 years in other parts of Thailand) I am continually impressed by the diversity of shops, restaurants, and neighborhoods in Phuket.

Another surprise is how inexpensive it can be to live comfortably here. I can get along fine on 15,000 baht a month. If I want to splurge a bit, I can move it up to 20K baht. It's up to me how posh to live.

The selection of quality used books I think is better in Phuket than any other province in the country (except, perhaps, Bangkok).

If you enjoy a Thai seafood-based diet, there are fantastic choices of quality food at low prices (e.g., 40 baht or less per meal).

I strongly concur with SB's observation that many (2/3) of the residents in Phuket are from somewhere else, and are probably here to make some money and then leave.

Thus, there is little incentive for them to get to know the farang customers, most of whom are tourists and will only spend a few days or weeks here.

So, it takes a longer time to be recognized as a genuine local in Phuket and, therefore, someone worth getting to know.

This makes Phuket less outwardly friendly to the ex-pat than, say, a typical provincial town in the northeast. But once you become recognized as a bona fide resident then the locals open up and are quite friendly.

In sum, like few other provinces in Thailand, you can tailor your own life-style in Phuket: from hi-so yachting, and fine wine dining to simple living among million-dollar views.

Yes -- there are the scammers, the trash dumps, and rusting, abandoned housing projects. But, as said, if you know how to peer through the weeds, you'll see the orchids.

How do you EXIST on 15,000 a month...unless you are not counting rent and transport?....A half decent place to stay is at least 8,000-12,000 a month.....not into staying in a one room Thai apartment, seafood at 40 baht???????????.....seriously, please share your secrets and explain in detail your montly expenditure...

ausinpatong, per the previous where I said the conclusion of "most would consider Phuket a shitehole" was baloney.

6 favorable opinions in the thread, I see one sort of noncommital/undecided one negative but he was here 18 months years ago and then came back for a couple days in Patong...........enuff said there.

So I'll stick stick to that original "most would consider Phuket a shitehole" as crap as there is no validity.

As far as the other stuff you say in you book of a post, I go to the Philippines, quite enjoy it, used to surf Bali a lot in the 90's but don't like the food, and yes, many gays play volleyball as well as other sports, but that bounces right off as I am very comfortable in my heterosexuality. Funny though sort of reminded me of when we were kids the last desperate jab would always be "oh yeah..............well...........you're gay".

Keep em coming people, how long have you spent in Phuket and do you like it or no?

Cheers, GOM

(reason for edit:crappy typist)

Edited by grumpyoldman

I have lived in Phuket two years, going well when you are single, but as maried NO. (to much HI TOM from lady's wen we take a walk in Kata Karon)

I have moved to live in Rayong and for half price compere to Phuket, up here I live in a 4 room villa and a nice garden for 5000/month, compere to Phuker 10000 for 3room no garden.

and much less traffic and more safe, the food, beer, everything is cheaper if you move from Phuket

So for me no more live in Phuket, only visit my friend some time :-)

(Sorry for my English I am from Sweden)

Tom

Edited by hellstens

ausinpatong, per the previous where I said the conclusion of "most would consider Phuket a shitehole" was baloney.

6 favorable opinions in the thread, I see one sort of noncommital/undecided one negative but he was here 18 months years ago and then came back for a couple days in Patong...........enuff said there.

So I'll stick stick to that original "most would consider Phuket a shitehole" as crap as there is no validity.

As far as the other stuff you say in you book of a post, I go to the Philippines, quite enjoy it, used to surf Bali a lot in the 90's but don't like the food, and yes, many gays play volleyball as well as other sports, but that bounces right off as I am very comfortable in my heterosexuality. Funny though sort of reminded me of when we were kids the last desperate jab would always be "oh yeah..............well...........you're gay".

Keep em coming people, how long have you spent in Phuket and do you like it or no?

Cheers, GOM

(reason for edit:crappy typist)

funny how you refuse to clarify your original argument old fella..,this gem here; you can twist the facts as much as you like, but this below is my original disagreement with you;

If it is such a shithole why am I now sitting on the beach looking at beautiful blue/green water, islands, looking forward to an afternoon on the beach, maybe some surfing, for sure some beach volleyball, same on the schedule for tomorrow. Oh well I guess one (I guess with you it makes two) goofball's shithole is another's paradise.................

now you have progressed up the ladder from name calling to sensationalising one small factual statement re gay volleyball on patong beach [out of a whole 'book posting'] as you called it into a major issue..wow im hetero..good on you mate ,but remember the old 'he who protests too much' expression

another sorry attempt to deflect away from your original tripe about sitting on the beach in paradise..

also seeing as how you expect people to tell time spent here in this paradise shitehole how long have you lived here?

i figure you as fairly recent by the fact that you still see everything rose tinted.

or have vested interests and need to convince people tha phuket really is paradise. that would be sad!

When I first came to Phuket it was for a short holiday but I never left apart from going to work offshore which was a month of work, eat, sleep with no females or booze allowed. On my month off it was party time & was that way for many years. Soi Bangla was a 2 way dirt road, the Kangaroo bar was the place to be after 2a.m. & you could virtually count the number of katoeys on one hand. Those were the good old days, when all females were actually original females, tuk tuks were 10 Baht anywhere in Patong (my favourite driver would even come to collect his money the next day when I could not pay).

I am still here living quite a different lifestyle & although I sometimes get frustrated with the traffic & uncontrolled development Phuket is still my preferred choice to live as it has everything I need to enjoy life, family, friends, shopping, movies, good food, laid back Thai atmosphere which includes sanook, herbal steam saunas, a couple of good clubs with the opportunity to help with community service. The list is much longer but why labour the point.

I've been here 12 years and compared to back in 1998 when you couldn't get decent food in the supermarket, internet was only slow dialup when it worked, and you needed to look high and low for certain items, quality of life has certainly gotten better, traffic and overbuilding not withstanding. All of you negative posters need to be in an area that's not a shitehole and not engage in normal tourist activites. But hey, please do move away so that will be one less car on the road and one less person bitching about the high cost of living and every other perceived negative attribute. Good riddance!

Hi

Been here close to 10 years now, yes it is a shithole or half a shithole, it was nice when i first came here but hey that’s 10 years ago it can’t be like that all the times, Phuket move forward as well (not to the best) i have been thinking about moving to CM as well, i was up there for a few days so not a chance i will do it (for now) no sea, i like the sea, and i have to be close to Villa market so i think i have to stay here.

Just get rid of most of the tourist and it will be nice again ;) , yes yes i know but i don’t live of them like a lot of people does.

And close half the eating places they are not worth anything, they just try to sell some food there taste like <deleted> anyway, amazing they are still open. But don’t you dare touch M&M and Fattys

Have a nice day it’s raining in Nai Harn so i am of to Villa for some nice imported stuff.

I could not live out in “nowhere”, that’s why I live in this shithole, and i half love it. <_<

i figure you as fairly recent by the fact that you still see everything rose tinted.

Lived here six, been travelling here twenty.

Nice pm calling me gutless, and still pushing the gay thing huh?

Hope you saw this from a poster "But hey, please do move away so that will be one less car on the road and one less person bitching about the high cost of living and every other perceived negative attribute. Good riddance!"

How do you EXIST on 15,000 a month...unless you are not counting rent and transport?....A half decent place to stay is at least 8,000-12,000 a month.....not into staying in a one room Thai apartment, seafood at 40 baht???????????.....seriously, please share your secrets and explain in detail your montly expenditure...

a small apartment with furniture, aircon, TV, fridge freezer, shower does not cost more than 3000-4000tbh what is a shithole for others can be an okay place to another, why spend more than you need, you have to stay right in the batter with Farang 300 000 or you can live in an area of imminent Thai then the price goes down.

if you own a scooter and do your weekly shopping at Tesco Lotus and not spend money on hookers and beer, so you can get by quite nicely on 15000, but if you like to drink beer and pick up hookers then becoming much more expensive

Lived there for 5 years, to me it got worse and worse every year, I left and will not return until I read about massive changes. It is a shit hole. Even when leaving my son had overstayed, wich is a non issue as any one under 12-14 (can't remember the age limit) does not pay an overstay fee. But they pulled me aside and said "your son over stay long time, fee is 500baht a day but we can discount half price for you" I laughed at him and said, kids under 12 no have overstay fee. He laughed and said you caught me, have nice trip. That was my trip moving away from Thailand, and it was confirmation that I was leaving a totally corrupt place.

The corrupt people from the vendors, to the taxis, to police, all the way to immigration at the airport. Not to mention it is far overpriced in my opinion. For what they charge to the services received, Phuket is way off the mark.

But opinions are like a$$holes everyone has one, and I am sure for every person that hates Phuket there is one more that loves it. And for those that will ask, I am not a teacher, or a sex pat, or a drunk, or married to a Thai.

a small apartment with furniture, aircon, TV, fridge freezer, shower does not cost more than 3000-4000tbh what is a shithole for others can be an okay place to another, why spend more than you need, you have to stay right in the batter with Farang 300 000 or you can live in an area of imminent Thai then the price goes down.

if you own a scooter and do your weekly shopping at Tesco Lotus and not spend money on hookers and beer, so you can get by quite nicely on 15000, but if you like to drink beer and pick up hookers then becoming much more expensive

15k is only just double my elecy bill...

Add in running a car, medical insurances, visa runs, etc etc and I cant understand anyone living (not just exisiting) on 15k.. 50k is a struggle, but I know people who can do that.. But 15 ??

Hi

Been here close to 10 years now, yes it is a shithole or half a shithole, it was nice when i first came here but hey that’s 10 years ago it can’t be like that all the times, Phuket move forward as well (not to the best) i have been thinking about moving to CM as well, i was up there for a few days so not a chance i will do it (for now) no sea, i like the sea, and i have to be close to Villa market so i think i have to stay here.

Just get rid of most of the tourist and it will be nice again ;) , yes yes i know but i don’t live of them like a lot of people does.

And close half the eating places they are not worth anything, they just try to sell some food there taste like &lt;deleted&gt; anyway, amazing they are still open. But don’t you dare touch M&M and Fattys

Have a nice day it’s raining in Nai Harn so i am of to Villa for some nice imported stuff.

I could not live out in “nowhere”, that’s why I live in this shithole, and i half love it. <_<

Thats a mirror of my feelings on it.. Within Thailand its got the most amenities that fit my needs, but its the direction of the progress that concerns me. And CM as a bolt hole idea but it lacks the sea.

Of course if we have the double dip depression I think we will, theres going to be a lot less tourists and early retirees anyway, but crime probably rises some more.

15k is only just double my elecy bill...

Add in running a car, medical insurances, visa runs, etc etc and I cant understand anyone living (not just exisiting) on 15k.. 50k is a struggle, but I know people who can do that.. But 15 ??

Do not you think its about time you stopped telling people how you are the last of the big spenders, we all get sick of b/s.

I do not doubt a person could live here on 15000 baht if they wanted to there are Thais living on less and bringing up a family.

I think Phuket is a great place to live and by following this forum most of the people doing the bitching not only on this

subject but others as well do not live here and never have.

Lived here six, been travelling here twenty.

Nice pm calling me gutless, and still pushing the gay thing huh?

Hope you saw this from a poster "But hey, please do move away so that will be one less car on the road and one less person bitching about the high cost of living and every other perceived negative attribute. Good riddance!"

so lived here all of 6 years i figured that!explains the rose tints huh..don't worry grumpy , in time you''ll see it how it really is as the tint fades..lol

i really dont think the quote above was addressed to me ,but if the poster does address me personally i will respond to him..not you! you are just a bored grumpy old trouble maker from what i have seen and i will not be drawn into a to and fro with you anymore

you seem to lack the 'neccessaries' to engage in a discussion at any level mate

shame you haven't got the heart for an honest discussion on the issue,and that you cannot comment without flaming...indicates a certain lack of quality in a person ..

and then to make nasty little comments on PM and then block me from replying to you justifies my assessment of you matey

i think that over the 20 years i have lived here, one of the main things that justify the statement that phuket has indeed become a shitehole is thus;

a lot of the people [both thai and farang ] who have gradually moved here, particularly after sunami are not the sort of people i want to associate with.

the worst of the worst lowlifes, cons ,scammers, get rich at other peoples expense, the greedy develope at all costs brigade, etc. etc have arrived en-masse

as livinlos [and i have been noting his intelligent posts ] says and this one i agree 100% 'the totally unavoidable, upcoming double-dip recession which will quickly become a world depression will be the greatest equaliser to all since the great depression ... sad and painfull but now a reallity looming on the horizon but as high profile places such as here begin to really suffer, the lowlifes and cons and developers often are the first to go...thats good riddence to be sure.

the place really has gone downhill in all respects since that sad day the wave washed away so much of the paradise and replaced it with &lt;deleted&gt;!

nice to see another honest appraisal of this place from HD rider

i lived up in C/M for a few years until recently and it is a better place for sure in a lot of ways not paradise at all but has a lot of good points, but as you say ..no sea!

this was a major issue for me after 2 years and i made the move back here however upon my first visit to the sea after longing so much for it i was very dissapointed to say the least..

you forget the bad side of things when you actually miss something. dodging dog crap, wading through rubbish on beach and in the murky brown sewerage looking water soon gave me the reality check

i now save my beach time for when i return to surfers paradise..now there are some real fine clean beaches..pristine actually.

because of longterm committments here i continue to live here and i do like it here,but i am honest enough to tell it like it is

its a shitehole..no doubt about it but i just overlook all its shiteiness and enjoy my own life in my own way...i aint leaving yet!

seeing as you mention villa for food here...mate the Rimping chain in C/M is near as good as you will get anywhere in SE asia

a big plus for me that was.and the prices for food and indeed most commodities up there are significantly lower than here

but C/M is also not paradise ...SMOG the biggest downside esp if you have any repiratory condition... i lived out at Doi Saket where you dont get smog but you still have months of fires burning, day and night...sad!

Edited by ausinpatong

I like Phuket, been here for only three years but I have no problems with any of it, I even like Patong where I live. I may go to Bangla Road twice a year, I never take a tuk tuk and I can easily ignore the touts and the hard sell aspect, those things just don't bother me because I make them invisible to my line of sight. But I do really enjoy the views, clean air, the low season and its associated weather, good inexpensive eateries that have taken me time to find, shopping in Bantam Market, inexpensive movies in Jungceylon, inexpensive drinks and good company in OTOP and finally, I like the locals in Phuket, I get along with them just fine.