Best Saunas In Cm

Andreas84

Can anyone recommend some good saunas in Chiang Mai, in example in the Huay Kaew area? I am not meaning sauna as in the sense of a meeting place for gay people, but a good "western" sauna with wooden inventory, and really hot (preferably 80 degress celcius or more, that's what I call sauna).... They have one at Fitness Thailand, but it is not working at the moment (was closed last time I checked)

The OP shouldn't be too paranoid about accidently finding himself the centre of attention in a Sauna with only a towel for protection :P There is only one "Gay Sauana" a farang would be likely to find in Chiang Mai - that's the "House of Male" behind Kad Suan Kaew. AFAIK it doesn't even have a proper sauna, just a rather decrepid steam room. Not that most people go there for the sauna experience :rolleyes:

Oh, I guiess there is the Lavender Lanna Hotel too, believe they have a sauna but not sure how gay it is now.

There's a new place that opened last month. They have an herbal steam room that is very hot--too hot for me, a very nice wet herbal sauna, hot tub (that lately hasn't been too hot), a cold tub, swimming pool, massage (on the up-and-up), and they're working on getting a fitness room together. Showers and towels are plentiful; water and fruitplate is free. Last month they had a special offer of 10 visits for 700 baht; maybe that rate is still available. It's the deal of the year in Chiang Mai for sauna lovers.

It's called the Lanna Sauna and Sport Club, located several blocks west of Ratchabaht University off Chang Puak Road. Take the soi that's between the Pharma Choice and the 7-Eleven across from the University athletic field. Go down that soi almost to the end. You can take either of 2 lefts...they will get you to the same place...it's a U-shaped road. A the far end of that road is the place...a newly-painted orange building with no signage. Go up a few steps and you're there. Here's a wikimapia link.

Hours daily are something like 12 noon to 8 pm. Phone 053-221-288 or 089-999-5099. No need to worry about those gays here--or anywhere else for that matter. As far as I can tell all are welcome, male and female, adults and kids, gay and straight.

There's a new place that opened last month.  They have an herbal steam room that is very hot--too hot for me, a very nice wet herbal sauna, hot tub (that lately hasn't been too hot), a cold tub, swimming pool, massage (on the up-and-up), and they're working on getting a fitness room together.  Showers and towels are plentiful; water and fruitplate is free.  Last month they had a special offer of 10 visits for 700 baht; maybe that rate is still available.  It's the deal of the year in Chiang Mai for sauna lovers.

It's called the Lanna Sauna and Sport Club, located several blocks west of Ratchabaht University off Chang Puak Road.  Take the soi that's between the Pharma Choice and the 7-Eleven across from the University athletic field.  Go down that soi almost to the end.  You can take either of 2 lefts...they will get you to the same place...it's a U-shaped road.  A the far end of that road is the place...a newly-painted orange building with no signage.  Go up a few steps and you're there.  Here's a wikimapia link.

Hours daily are something like 12 noon to 8 pm.  Phone 053-221-288 or 089-999-5099.  No need to worry about those gays here--or anywhere else for that matter.  As far as I can tell all are welcome, male and female, adults and kids, gay and straight.

That sounds like a good option :-)

no, I did not find myself by accident in any gay Sauna. I just know that there is a significant gay community here in CM, and that they might have a different understanding of what the word Sauna means...

There's a new place that opened last month. They have an herbal steam room that is very hot--too hot for me, a very nice wet herbal sauna, hot tub (that lately hasn't been too hot), a cold tub, swimming pool, massage (on the up-and-up), and they're working on getting a fitness room together. Showers and towels are plentiful; water and fruitplate is free. Last month they had a special offer of 10 visits for 700 baht; maybe that rate is still available. It's the deal of the year in Chiang Mai for sauna lovers.

It's called the Lanna Sauna and Sport Club, located several blocks west of Ratchabaht University off Chang Puak Road. Take the soi that's between the Pharma Choice and the 7-Eleven across from the University athletic field. Go down that soi almost to the end. You can take either of 2 lefts...they will get you to the same place...it's a U-shaped road. A the far end of that road is the place...a newly-painted orange building with no signage. Go up a few steps and you're there. Here's a wikimapia link.

Hours daily are something like 12 noon to 8 pm. Phone 053-221-288 or 089-999-5099. No need to worry about those gays here--or anywhere else for that matter. As far as I can tell all are welcome, male and female, adults and kids, gay and straight.

That sounds like a good option :-)

I just tried the place, the steam room was too cold,when I got there, then it was too hot, no steam

the sauna was about 47degrees, warm, not hot like a sauna

I did ask for the sauna to be hot, but they didnt alter it, so I left disappointed

maybe thats the way they like it, but its not for me

I just tried the place, the steam room was too cold,when I got there, then it was too hot, no steam

the sauna was about 47degrees, warm, not hot like a sauna

I did ask for the sauna to be hot, but they didnt alter it, so I left disappointed

maybe thats the way they like it, but its not for me

I tried the place, too. The sauna was 55-60 degrees celsius when I was there. Should have been hotter, but was still ok. The steam room was decent when I was there; hot, and with steam too. (It is called a steam room, so should be expected)  But when I arrived there were no customers, so the steam room was not active right then. They had to turn the heat on, which did not take too much time. There is some room for improvement, but I think the main thing is this place just needs more customers.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Herbal Steam Sauna, single cubicles, with controlable heat. Been using it for years, even used by locals. THB 130 if I remeber correctly. 71/1 Rajchapakinai Tai Road 053 -214629 , rooftop setting inside the old city, just off the rajamanka road.

Good Herbal Steam Sauna, single cubicles, with controlable heat. Been using it for years, even used by locals. THB 130 if I remeber correctly. 71/1 Rajchapakinai Tai Road 053 -214629 , rooftop setting inside the old city, just off the rajamanka road.

Yes I was there once it was a good experience. I had no idea what it was but was pleasantly surprised. My wife was with me and did not permit me to get the temperature up to what I wanted next time get her own room.:jap:

• 10 months later...

This is awesome - exactly what I'd been looking for, well, close enough anyway.

It's opposite the Same-Same guest house, small place, Sauna is on the 4th floor with a few stalls, a table and hot tea, so you go in and out of the herbal steam room a few times, and cool down outside with hot tea. They set the steam to low; it took a few minutes to actually make steam (I was there in the morning), then it was slowly slowly until I opened the valve all the way - WOW! The small room instantly fills with steam, as hot as you like, really. Brilliant.

I was looking for this kind of traditional herbal sauna place ever since I found the red cross sauna + massage in Luang Prabang, Laos: A similar setup, tea and sitting room outside, but they had two very small saunas, one for men, one for women, and were using some sort of oven. It was nicer because the saunas were all wood and the hot stone oven was nice.

But the one in CM has the same effect even though the rooms are all cheapest of the cheapest, concrete seats, and instead of a nice little oven you get an old pipe spewing steam. But... it sure works! Going to be there again for sure.

If anyone else knows of another place like this, traditional thai steam sauna, let me know.

Oh yeah we have a Finnish made Sauna in the moo baan, the problem is it doesn't really get hot enough, some of the heating coils appear broken. A luke-warm experience...

Edited by nikster

Like i said on the last forum a year ago

More Ta 0871736639 in mae rim has a traditional thai steam room they charge 100 baht and it's Down 12 banner get the the mae rim to mae jo road the one with the traffic lights just after canal road go over the bridge that goes over the river ping turn left when you see the market on the right hand side drive down until you see a yellow sign turn right down there until you see a small soi with a small bridge that goes over the stream take the first left that runs parallel with the stream take the 2nd left and you should see the sign for more ta , if all else fails you can ring him if you can speak thai .

He's massage is quite expensive i always opt out as he used to charge 300 baht for 2 hours then lots of farrang started going there and he put it up to 500 baht so i always so no although my friend who has been here for 10 years said it was the best he ever had but i prefer the blind massage in santitam as it's 100 baht per hour.

the best REAL sauna in chiang mai was in santitham. at santitham plaza, next to the swimming pool and the bar area.

now it's either closed for good or under major renovations.

the one real sauna somewhere near chiang mai gate and silver street is ok, but they don't understand that throwing water on the stones is the way of doing it right.

we explained that in english and in thai, but still they didn't allow that.

• 5 months later...

Does this come with or without 'smoke'? Sometime the smoke of the wood & herbs comes in the sauna cabin...uche-uche-uche...bah.gif