4 Baht Eggs!

I was warned by my friend that manages one of the largest feed supply shop in CM that the poultry corporations[mafias] had day old chicks for sale from BKK.....hens@48thb ea, roosters@5thb ea because the price of eggs was too low. Used to be 2.50 ea for eggs, now it's 4thb ea for the same eggs.

Who runs this country and the food costs???

hint....begins with a 'C' ends with a 'P'.

Corporate farming has got the people by the balls!!!

Actually, I used to have my own chickens.......Rhode Island Reds, the industry standard for egg and meat production here in LOS and guess who supplied the pullets and food and wholesaleing of the eggs??? begins with a 'C' and ends with a 'P'.

What i observed was during the H1N1 scare a few years ago, 'they' got complete control over the whole poultry industry and watch out when a company doesn't have competition>>>>

I would offer a counter point on the corporate farming impact. I believe that having these mega enterprises controlling the market brings stability and opportunity to small holding farmers. They price their products to what the market is willing to pay, which in general terms is not much here in Thailand. However for the small operator market niches are still available as well as new opportunities in contract farming.

I arrived here in 1999. At that time some 60+% of the population were employed in agriculture, now that figure has dropped to around 40%. This is more to do with the Thai Government's industrialisation policies and the "Better Life" dreams of Thai youth, than any corporate farming impact. The farming community is aging fast and mechanisation is expanding rapidly.

In my humble opinion, the only constant is change.

For me, we sell 3 RHode Island eggs for 10 baht here in the village and have done for the last 2 years. Our pigs are now selling for 65 baht a kilogram liveweight whereas 55 was the best around 18 months ago. We sell pork at 10 baht/100 grams (keet) or 100 baht a kilo in the village as well. So, "Long live" the large corporates.

Isaanaussie

PS. Excuse me while I dive for a flack jacket

We have a contract with Saha Farms to produce Chicken meat, We have around a 13,000 capacity bird farm, one building.

We raise the chicks from 1 day old, and depending what size bird is required by Saha Farms we will typically house a bird for between 37 to 43 days.

They supply the chicks, food, vet, vaccines. We supply the labour, water, and electricity.

Typically this gives us a profit of around 100,000 baht every 40 days(ish), but then we close the farm for approx 2 weeks, at which time the place is thoroughly cleaned, and the new batch of chicks arrive. so we get stock 6 times per year.

Been doing this now for about 3 years, and giving us a nice profit of around 50,000 baht per month.

We are just talking about now of building another chicken shed to house 20,000 birds, estimate cost to build around 3 mill baht.

Thanks to Saha farms, I have not had to use any of my UK money for living here in Thailand, My initial investment was 1.8 million baht, this was for 16 rai, the shed was already built, I bought it off some of the family who were divorcing.

So to date, I have had my investment back in just 3 years. Not easy to do that in any country, and haven't touched any UK money, since the initial investment.

So for that reason, thumbs up to the corporate power houses.

post-16702-029377100 1277869946_thumb.jp

Edited by Monkeypants

Have to agree with aussie, it is better to have someone with clout setting the retail price. Now if the farming sector could get corporate price fixing through out, while eliminating the various middlemen, many farmers could pull themselves up by their own boot straps. The problem in this, is when/if the large companies decide to eliminate the small competitor thru short term marketing. History has shown this can either result in a monopoly or additional competition on a stronger scale.

Well Aussie like I said,

It looks like we may build another shed to house 20,000 birds.

Looking to finance it through a Thai bank, approx 3 mill baht.

I am only 44 years old and have a young son of 7 months, looking towards the future for him.

30,000 chickens in total will give you a nett profit of around 150,000 baht per month.

Just got to pay back the loan.

My extended Thai family have been doing this for years, they have 4 sheds all have new trucks, nice houses.

It is definately the way forward for the smaller farmer.

Location is a key factor though, you can't build one of these in a village, we live out in the sticks I have no neighbours, no 5am Wat alarm call, 3 fishing lakes, mountains and lovely sunsets.

Also you need licences to run a farm , quality control, animal husbandry,( Strict EU controls in place) Licence from the Amphur to allow the land to be used for large scale chicken farms, the ammonia produced from the chicken shit can be quite strong so you have to have no neighbours, to contest the grant of a licence. Infact I have 4 neighbours and this is the extended family who also have farms although they are my neighbours they are about 500m away from our house and the land inbetween is either ours or theirs.

It's a good solid base as you say Aussie.

Can't see whats round the corner though, but worth a gamble in my opinion.

If my son decides in the future that he chooses this path, then he can, I don't know many jobs in Thailand that can give you a profit of 150,000 per month, No matter which university you have been too.

So I am hoping that if things turn out right he will have some great options here in Thailand, if he so wishes.

Well Aussie like I said,

It looks like we may build another shed to house 20,000 birds.

Looking to finance it through a Thai bank, approx 3 mill baht.

I am only 44 years old and have a young son of 7 months, looking towards the future for him.

30,000 chickens in total will give you a nett profit of around 150,000 baht per month.

Just got to pay back the loan.

My extended Thai family have been doing this for years, they have 4 sheds all have new trucks, nice houses.

It is definately the way forward for the smaller farmer.

Location is a key factor though, you can't build one of these in a village, we live out in the sticks I have no neighbours, no 5am Wat alarm call, 3 fishing lakes, mountains and lovely sunsets.

Also you need licences to run a farm , quality control, animal husbandry,( Strict EU controls in place) Licence from the Amphur to allow the land to be used for large scale chicken farms, the ammonia produced from the chicken shit can be quite strong so you have to have no neighbours, to contest the grant of a licence. Infact I have 4 neighbours and this is the extended family who also have farms although they are my neighbours they are about 500m away from our house and the land inbetween is either ours or theirs.

It's a good solid base as you say Aussie.

Can't see whats round the corner though, but worth a gamble in my opinion.

If my son decides in the future that he chooses this path, then he can, I don't know many jobs in Thailand that can give you a profit of 150,000 per month, No matter which university you have been too.

So I am hoping that if things turn out right he will have some great options here in Thailand, if he so wishes.

M/Pants,

Great to get a success story occasionally, brightens my day... Go For It...

IA

Lads.

I've just built a chicken house and need 1000 Rhode Island Red (or similar)chicks to fill it! I could have had them a couple of weeks ago but t was just too early,as we wanted everything in place first.Now it seems there is a big demand for them and my source in Bangkok is at the back of the queue.Does anybody know where there are some available?We are based in Kamphaeng Phet.