Anyone Know Of A Thai Typing Tutorial Program?

jsflynn603

There is a program Thai-Typing Tutor v 1.04 and though I have found numerous copies of it, it is faulty.In each lesson, you can type one or two or four letters, and then "nothing happens." It gets stuck. (Yes, I know one has to hit the space bar between letters).The maker's site is no longer active and it's a good program (if it worked totally).If you know where a working copy can be found, free or at a price, please tell us.

There is a program Thai-Typing Tutor v 1.04 and though I have found numerous copies of it, it is faulty.In each lesson, you can type one or two or four letters, and then "nothing happens." It gets stuck. (Yes, I know one has to hit the space bar between letters).The maker's site is no longer active and it's a good program (if it worked totally).If you know where a working copy can be found, free or at a price, please tell us.

A typing tutor game you could play while waiting.

http://www.thai-language.com/id/805664

I downloaded and have used Thai-Typing Tutor Version 1.04c when I was first learning to type thai a few years ago and it has always worked fine. It never froze, and I never had to 'hit the space bar between letters'. It lets you add text files (notepad) into the lessons to work on your own material and/or tricky words. It charts via a graph improvement (or not) both by accuracy and speed.

For Freeware it's great; although early on I'd have preferred a sound when I pressed the wrong key, but hey it's free. I learned to type thai totally by touch with it, so I'm NOT complaining.

I would guess, if one of the versions you downloaded sticks or doesn't work, uninstall it and find another site which offers it. I think Version 1.04c was the latest fix they ever did. Then again, I’m here in thailand and bought my p/c here as well with a thai keyboard already, so your mileage may vary. :whistling: I just checked my version and it has an email of “gurce(at)bigpond.com” for contact about the freeware. Maybe it still works, dunno.

Learning to touch type thai or even using the "hunt and peck method" is more tedious than even teaching yourself to read thai. It did take quite a while to get the hang of the 'shifty-ness', and the use of characters which on the english keyboard are rarely if ever used. For example to type the simple informal thai greeting สบายดีรึเปล่า you type the following keys; “l[kpfui7gx]jk”.

I have also found when typing thai the "finger load" (number of characters which a particular finger types) is disproportionately skewed to using the right hand's two outside fingers (especially the right pinky finger :( ) much more than the rest. In doing some rudimentary research I found that's just the thai keyboard set up known as Kedmanee versus the other one known as Pattachote which evidently spreads the finger load out more evenly. However I've never seen the Pattachote keyboard in use so it must have never caught on.

It was an uphill battle to learn to do it, but once I got it down I found my reading and word recognition went up as well.

I also learned to type using the Thai Typing Tutor, and never experienced a problem despite using it on a few different computers. For me, the only time the cursor didn't move ahead was if I typed the wrong letter, and the speed graphs were very motivating. Try downloading it again -- it is available from many places around the web. The Thai Typing Tutor game (linked above) is also very good.

• 4 months later...

There's a new, web-based Thai typing program available at http://thai-notes.com/typing/typing.shtml

WOW!! That looks like a great program! ;)

It'd probably be even better, IF I could get it to work without locking up my browser mid lesson! :whistling:

I was able to get thru a couple lessons, then it locks the browser. Dunno why. :blink:

I sent feedback to the site, and maybe will get an answer about what I'm doing wrong.

Still from appearances it's a great improvement over the program I used when I taught myself to type thai a few years ago. :D

Hopefully I get it sorted out, because it sure looks like a great resource to learn to type-thai-by-touch; which as I said in an earlier post, is definitely a tough row to hoe. . B)

Actually I hafta totally revise the earlier post I made about the program locking up :o .

I just came back from the local internet shop. First they had to FIND a keyboard with thai characters on it as all they had out were ones with KOREAN and engrish :( . After he found one, I spent about 90 minutes using the program. It worked flawlessly, not a single hiccup. :)

Obviously my ancient (3+ y/o) Acer desktop has more than a few issues with it :bah: and appears to be the source of the problem(s).

I honestly hafta say that’s really one slick thai typing tutor program!! My hats off to the person who developed it, :jap: especially as it's a free resource! :P

I think I worked thru about 34 or so of the lessons. It's a great brusher-upper for people who can type already and a super good one for people just learning. B)

Again, if anyone thinks my earlier post was at all negative, (and I didn't mean for it to be in the least :) ), believe me ALL the negativity is now directed towards my home p/c.

Edited by tod-daniels

My thoughts:

I like this typing tool very much, and will recommend it to people. That said, it has its share of bugs. (The ำ vowel is invisible in places, but still requires you to type it, among other things.)

Also, I think it leans too much toward the arbitrary. I've been touch-typing Thai for several years, and I still found it very difficult to type the combinations because they had no context. I found myself relying on muscle memory for patterns it repeated, which won't help the typist once the words are put in the context of a real word.

No doubt there's some value in practicing typing arbitrary letters, but I typed all 50 lessons to test it out (took me an hour or so to work through them all), and I found that only having every 3rd or 4th lesson be made up of real words was too few. The tutor also never worked up to typing anything longer than strings of random words separated by spaces. It would do well to include sentences or even longer passages. (There were occasionally amusing combinations of random words, too, like พระ ปาก เสีย 'foul-mouthed monk'.)

It starts out introducing characters on a row-by-row basis, similar to English typing instruction. Later it starts having you type sections of the alphabet, and eventually the whole alphabet, in alphabetical order. I found this unnecessary. Being able to type the alphabet in order is of no practical value. Even *knowing* the alphabet in order is only really of value when using a dead-tree Thai dictionary. The emphasis the typing tutor gives on typing in alphabetical order is completely out of proportion with the real-world value of knowing the order (i.e. little) and being able to type the order (i.e. zilch).

Another thing that tripped me up because it felt unnatural was that it in strings of random words, it makes you type the space between each one. Flowing Thai text has few spaces, so I think it would flow better to just skip over the space and to the next word, even though the words here may be in random order. Helps give a better feel for typing flowing text.

I also wish there were a three-way color distinction (typed, current letter, untyped), instead of just two-way (typed+current letter, untyped). Even after doing all 50 lessons, I type fast enough that I would still get confused, thinking the letter it currently wanted me to type was one I had already typed. It seems more natural to use a distinct color for the letter currently being typed, or visually set it apart in some other way.

Overall though, I like the approach and I like the browser-based typing tutor.

Thanks for the feedback.

I wrote the Thai Typing Trainer so it reflects my personal philosophy about learning to touch type.

The programming was very difficult because of the differences between the various browsers. The only browser in which it works perfectly is Firefox. Other browsers have problems, particularly with the positioning of tone marks, above vowels and mai taikhu. The "Emulation Mode" gets around some of these problems, but not all of them. The problem wish sara am is a new one to me. Could you let me know which browser you are using please, Rikker?

I'm a little disappointed that you think the combinations too arbitrary. I tried to ensure that for the "random letter" lessons that the letter sequences were (in most cases) feasible, if not particularly realistic.

There is a related application which will be on-line in the next day or two. (I'm still testing it.) It provides whole paragraphs to type and measures accuracy and speed. It'll carry on from where the Thai Typing Tutor leaves off. After all, the main objective of the first program was simply to get me to know where all the keys on the keyboard were, rather than type vast swathes, since I'm unlikely ever to type a novel in Thai.

The use of typing the alphabet stems from a number of reasons. (1) When I learnt to touch type in Sanskrit I found that mentally working through the alphabet with the associated physical memory helped me to remember the postiions of the more obscure characters. (2) I got bored thinking up suitable mnemonics for the remaining letters. Accessing the less common letters through alphabetic order/physical memory is slower that directly accessing them. However, fairly quickly the typist will be able to access these characters directly.

As for the three colour suggestions, that's already there. Stuff that's typed is in grey, the current letter is in green (or red if you've made a mistake), and the stuff still to type is in black. Could this be another browser-related issue? Or do I need to make the grey paler?

Anyway, once again, thanks Rikker and all for your feedback.

My thoughts:

I like this typing tool very much, and will recommend it to people. That said, it has its share of bugs. (The ำ vowel is invisible in places, but still requires you to type it, among other things.)

Also, I think it leans too much toward the arbitrary. I've been touch-typing Thai for several years, and I still found it very difficult to type the combinations because they had no context. I found myself relying on muscle memory for patterns it repeated, which won't help the typist once the words are put in the context of a real word.

No doubt there's some value in practicing typing arbitrary letters, but I typed all 50 lessons to test it out (took me an hour or so to work through them all), and I found that only having every 3rd or 4th lesson be made up of real words was too few. The tutor also never worked up to typing anything longer than strings of random words separated by spaces. It would do well to include sentences or even longer passages. (There were occasionally amusing combinations of random words, too, like พระ ปาก เสีย 'foul-mouthed monk'.)

It starts out introducing characters on a row-by-row basis, similar to English typing instruction. Later it starts having you type sections of the alphabet, and eventually the whole alphabet, in alphabetical order. I found this unnecessary. Being able to type the alphabet in order is of no practical value. Even *knowing* the alphabet in order is only really of value when using a dead-tree Thai dictionary. The emphasis the typing tutor gives on typing in alphabetical order is completely out of proportion with the real-world value of knowing the order (i.e. little) and being able to type the order (i.e. zilch).

Another thing that tripped me up because it felt unnatural was that it in strings of random words, it makes you type the space between each one. Flowing Thai text has few spaces, so I think it would flow better to just skip over the space and to the next word, even though the words here may be in random order. Helps give a better feel for typing flowing text.

I also wish there were a three-way color distinction (typed, current letter, untyped), instead of just two-way (typed+current letter, untyped). Even after doing all 50 lessons, I type fast enough that I would still get confused, thinking the letter it currently wanted me to type was one I had already typed. It seems more natural to use a distinct color for the letter currently being typed, or visually set it apart in some other way.

Overall though, I like the approach and I like the browser-based typing tutor.

I'm using Google Chrome 8 (to be specific, 8.0.552.28 Beta). I should've tested it on other browsers, I guess, but then the intro page did say it had been tested in Chrome, so I was lazy. ;)

I just tried it out on Firefox and you're right, the color distinction is there. In Chrome (at least my version) the letters already typed stay green (or red), so you get the whole row turning red and green. Even for a relatively experienced typist like me that was confusing. Glad to know it's a browser issue, but one that would good to address, of course.

I saw the สระอำ problem in Lesson 9, at least. I'm not sure if it affected other lessons, but I don't think so. The four ำ characters in a row are simply invisible in Chrome, but show as a single black box in both Firefox 3.6.10 and Firefox 4.0 Beta 6.

I'm glad to hear you've got another application in the works. I hope you won't take my criticism as being overly harsh or nitpicky. I certainly appreciate all the effort that went into this.

If you're interested, I'm happy to give more detailed feedback. Just send me a private message.

@Rikker

I found myself relying on muscle memory for patterns it repeated, which won't help the typist once the words are put in the context of a real word.

No doubt there's some value in practicing typing arbitrary letter...s,

I think that's precisely the reason why its good, Rikker. My feeling is that arbitrary combinations to train muscle memory are what you want when first learning to touch-type. A program like this is ideal for the learner to internalise the key positions as people used to typing via 'peck and hunt' can easily fall back into their old 'bad' muscle habits. They 'half know' where some combinations are and risk unconsciously moving their fingers from the 'home' position as they reach for familiar keys.

Your complaint seems to be more about speeding up the wpm rate. Of course, once the key positions are internalised, practicing on real paragraphs and real words is necessary to achieve increased wpm and accuracy.

Edited by SoftWater

@Rikker

I found myself relying on muscle memory for patterns it repeated, which won't help the typist once the words are put in the context of a real word.

I think that's precisely the reason why its good, Rikker. My feeling is that arbitrary combinations to train muscle memory are what you want when first learning to touch-type. A program like this is ideal for the learner to internalise the key positions as people used to typing via 'peck and hunt' can easily fall back into their old 'bad' muscle habits. They 'half know' where some combinations are and risk unconsciously moving their fingers from the 'home' position as they reach for familiar keys.

Your complaint seems to be more about speeding up the wpm rate. Of course, once the key positions are internalised, practicing on real paragraphs and real words is necessary to achieve increased wpm and accuracy.

What I meant was muscle memory for longer strings, like when the same multi-character pattern is repeated 3-4 times on a line, by the third time I'm just repeating 'index-finger, ring-finger, pinky, index-finger' or what have you, instead of paying attention to the actual letters being typed. This assumes that I already have muscle memory for the individual characters, of course.

I think the arbitrary consonants would be much better when paired with vowels, rather than trying to type strings like ภถภถภถถภภถภถภ or ฝผผฝฝผฝผฝผฝผฝผฝ.

@Rikker

What I meant was muscle memory for longer strings, like when the same multi-character pattern is repeated 3-4 times on a line, by the third time I'm just repeating 'index-finger, ring-finger, pinky, index-finger' or what have you, instead of paying attention to the actual letters being typed. This assumes that I already have muscle memory for the individual characters, of course.

I think the arbitrary consonants would be much better when paired with vowels, rather than trying to type strings like ภถภถภถถภภถภถภ or ฝผผฝฝผฝผฝผฝผฝผฝ.

Rikker

You are right on the money with this point. The absolute dire flaw of Thai-Typing Tutor v 1.04 was this muscle memory issue. Indeed, it made the programme pointless.

This new typing tutor is a big improvement, but words should always be used as soon as they can be.

I want to congratulate the maker-- much appreciated. I have been using it all evening. I have complained so long for somebody to come along who has some notion of what typing tutors look like. Have a look at Mavis Beacon for a perfect typing tutor programme, but this is an excellent attempt.

FWIW: I hafta agree with "Rikker" on this

The strings of thai letters you type, especially ones that are either above or below your 'home key finger set' are just muscle memory, NOT typing! By moving your fingers up a level or down a level anyone can type the string quite easily.

However, it is my experience; once your fingers come off the ‘home keys’, it’s like you're ‘walkin' in the dark without a flashlight’ as far as tryin' to touch type thai. In other words, you’re just bumbling around :o . .

Those home keys are the gold ring to touch typin’ thai, (even if the finger load in thai is skewed to the right hand), Well at least in the Kedmanee keyboard set up it is. Which is the standard thai set up as opposed to the Pattachote one (which spreads the finger load out more evenly, but NOONE uses, as it never caught on. :( ..)

If I don’t keep my two index fingers almost glued 100% to the home keys, I am suddenly typing gibberish thai. That can be disconcerting in ‘chat’ scenarios via the internet, :blink: lol..

Now if they had consonants or even small short words (of which thai has plenty) which used the different levels whilst keeping your two index fingers glued to the home keys, it'd be far better of a program. :)

<SNIP>The absolute dire flaw of Thai-Typing Tutor v 1.04 was this muscle memory issue. Indeed, it made the programme pointless.

On this point we must agree to disagree;

The one thing I liked about the old thai typing tutor program (v.1.04) was you could add any ‘note pad’ file into it that you’d previously typed or even ripped off the internet and then practice typing “real thai”. In that program I’ve got 30 or 40 ‘text’ files which I used when I was first learning to touch type thai that I just copied off the internet; short stories, songs, bits of news, etc.

<SNIP>

I want to congratulate the maker-- much appreciated. I have been using it all evening. I have complained so long for somebody to come along who has some notion of what typing tutors look like. Have a look at Mavis Beacon for a perfect typing tutor programme, but this is an excellent attempt.

On this point I agree 100%, no question about it :) , for a totally free resource, it’s pretty darned good :P .

I give them allot of points for trying B) .

There's a new, web-based Thai typing program available at http://thai-notes.co...ng/typing.shtml

Thanks for the link, AyG, and special thanks to ThaiNotes for the nice tool.

If I may make suggestions for improvement:

1) An error message pops up when non-thai characters are entered. This is fine to realize that you have not switched to the thai keyboard. However, the popup is also triggered by some of the special characters (dot, brackets, hyphen ...). So some typos (ภ/-, ์/?, ...) break the flow of the exercise because you first have to close the popup. I could not complete (err, not even begin with) lesson 48 for the same reason.

2) Customizable lessons would be awesome. (That is one of the strong points of the Thai Typing Tutor). I.e. allow users to load the text from a local file rather than the client-sided predefined lessons. I guess that way the tool could even easily be used for learning qwerty, dvorak or pattachote.

Side note: on my keyboard (openSuse 11.3 standard thai) sits at <shift>+ while sits at <shift>+

Contrary to Rikker I quite liked the 'random word' lessons, and to some extent even the 'going through the alphabet' lessons, because they put emphasis also on the more rare characters. But some of the alphabet lessons (the ศษส ศษส training in particular) indeed did not feel very inspired.

The second application, Thai Speed Trainer is now online at http://thai-notes.com/typing/thai_speed_trainer.shtml This should address some of the concerns about the lack of natural typing practice in the first application.

There are only eight exercises available at the moment. They're reading exercises from thai-language.com and are used with permission. I hope to add more exercises - and more challenging exercises - over the next couple of weeks.

I haven't written any instructions on how to use the Speed Trainer yet, but it's pretty straightforward. Start typing and the timer starts. Press Enter at the end of each block of text. When you finish you get a report on words typed, errors and typing speed.

I've tested it on the usual suspects and it works fine, though looks really ugly in Opera. That's Opera's fault, not mine.

The only bug that I'm aware of is with the box with the text to be typed doesn't shrink. It's initially sized to the largest block of text in the current exercise. However, it doesn't shrink back when you change lesson. I will fix this, but it's not top priority at the moment.

I'll reply to other feedback soon.

I just typed my way through the 8 lessons. I averaged about 40 wpm. Cool.

I'm already learning things about how I type. I don't have look at the keyboard, but I realized I do have to look at what I'm typing a lot to make sure I'm not making mistakes. That is, I'm not very good at keeping my eyes on the paragraph I'm typing, I keep looking down at the text box.

If you want lots of material you don't need to ask permission for, try Thai Wikipedia. It's all Creative Commons.

I really look forward to seeing where you go with this, and hope you'll keep improving it.

If I may make suggestions for improvement:

1) An error message pops up when non-thai characters are entered. This is fine to realize that you have not switched to the thai keyboard. However, the popup is also triggered by some of the special characters (dot, brackets, hyphen ...). So some typos (ภ/-, ์/?, ...) break the flow of the exercise because you first have to close the popup. I could not complete (err, not even begin with) lesson 48 for the same reason.

2) Customizable lessons would be awesome. (That is one of the strong points of the Thai Typing Tutor). I.e. allow users to load the text from a local file rather than the client-sided predefined lessons. I guess that way the tool could even easily be used for learning qwerty, dvorak or pattachote.

Side note: on my keyboard (openSuse 11.3 standard thai) sits at <shift>+ while sits at <shift>+

My bad. I added the check for Thai input towards the end of development and obviously didn't test well enough. I now check only the first character of input for each lesson, and if it matches the target then all is well. This should eliminate almost all of the false positive alerts.

I'm intrigued by the idea of customisable lessons. To be honest, I hadn't realised this was a popular feature of "Thai Typing Tutor". Mine is a web application, so people would need to upload their lesson file, and it would then be shared with everyone using the program. (I could create a logon system to allow private files but, frankly, I can't be bothered, and I like the idea of people sharing their lessons - though I do worry about spam lessons.) The upload could be quite straightforward. I'll definitely look into this, though it will take a few weeks. And if I remove the checking for Thai input the program could be used for other languages/keyboard layouts. I also have plans for developing a Thai-language version of the programs and would like to help Thai people to learn to type English. (Whenever my partner needs something typed in English I get "volunteered").

As for " sits at <shift>+ while sits at <shift>+ห" - again, my bad. I'll correct this within the next 24 hours.

...I don't have look at the keyboard, but I realized I do have to look at what I'm typing a lot to make sure I'm not making mistakes. That is, I'm not very good at keeping my eyes on the paragraph I'm typing, I keep looking down at the text box....

That's common. It's a function of the fact that the majority of your typing is not copying but writing whatever you're thinking, and so usually you're looking at the screen and self-correcting as you type. Copying from the page is a slightly different skill and like touch-typing itself, needs its own practice.

Incidentally, if you're touch-typing English, the best way to improve this is to practice in something like MS_Word but turn the spellchecker/'correct as you type' option OFF. This really screwed me up for a long time. You never realise how many mistakes you are making because Word will autocorrect a lot of them for you.

Edited by SoftWater

All of this raises another question in my mind: When we touch type our native language, is the muscle memory we develop memory for the positions of the individual letters, or is it word-based muscle memory? Or both? I type English so much (and so fast) that I feel like I'm too close to it to know. Or if there's an appreciable difference.

But I find that for Thai my muscle memory is word-based. That is, I have muscle memory for sequences I type frequently, or for words that I type frequently. Which helps explain why I found the random sequences so difficult, and why I felt they were particularly unhelpful.

I don't know if that's the nature of touch typing, that you develop contextual muscle memory (like I used to do for particular measures of piano pieces), and I'd simply never realized it, or if my touch typing for English and Thai are actually different. I know my Thai touch typing is still way behind my English, I guess I'm just wondering if my Thai has a chance to ever approach my current level of skill with English.

Anyhow, this is probably threadjacking, I just wondered if anyone has thoughts or insights on the topic.

To be honest, I came to this discussion assuming the former, but having listened to yourself and others in the thread I'm not so sure now.

Being a classroom language teacher rather than a linguist, I'm usually mostly interested in what works rather than theory. Though I recognise that theory has a place in helping us answer practical questions, here, as often in things skill-based, what works is simply repetitive practice. Why or how it works we can speculate on, but short of empirical research...

Incidentally, here's a good practical tip for kicking your 'looking at the screen' habit that I've used to good effect - simply turn down the brightness on your monitor to zero so the screen is black while you type out your practice pieces. The trick is to abandon yourself to your fingers (i.e. suspend or ignore your cognitive judgement). When you turn the screen back on you'll think you've made a hundred mistakes. You'll be amazed to find the number is much much smaller.

:)

Edited by SoftWater

• 1 year later...

I tried some of these typing tutors. It is disappointing to find how primitive they are compared to (english) typing tutors for the PC 30 years ago. Back then the tutor monitored your speed and accuracy. You automatically advanced to the next lesson only when you became competent enough. The new one everyone seems to be raving about here is surprisingly primitive and feature deplete. All you do is type back what you see. No encouragement, no real tests, no way to know whether you are done or should move on to the next lesson. I am amazed 3 decades later this is the best we can do? Feels like trading in the ferarri for a yugo. I've looked in software stores for real typing tutors to no avail.

Canopy, I have the same feelings, but my feelings extend to the Thai-English dictionaries available. I stand amazed they are such poor quality. Their users appear to have such low expectations. If only more could look at the Canon Wordtank Japanese-English dictionary of the year 2000 to realise what we should expect. It just is not good enough having dictionaries with no example sentences and so on.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

After a long delay, I've added a Thai typing trainer that allows you to paste your own text to the website http://www.thai-notes.com. The direct link is http://thai-notes.com/typing/custom_speed_trainer.shtml, though Firefox users should probably read the Introduction page first.

I've tested in on Firefox, Chrome and Opera, and it appears to work fine with each of those browsers. I haven't yet had a chance to test it on Safari or Internet Explorer, but I'd expect it to work OK.

As always, any and all feedback much appreciated.

After a long delay, I've added a Thai typing trainer that allows you to paste your own text to the website http://www.thai-notes.com. The direct link is http://thai-notes.co...d_trainer.shtml, though Firefox users should probably read the Introduction page first.

I've tested in on Firefox, Chrome and Opera, and it appears to work fine with each of those browsers. I haven't yet had a chance to test it on Safari or Internet Explorer, but I'd expect it to work OK.

As always, any and all feedback much appreciated.

I am very impressed with this author's typing tutor at http://thai-notes.com/typing/thai_typing_trainer.shtml . It is simple, straightforward and effective. After you have gone through the course once, go back and practice typing lessons once a week. I want to thank the author very much for all the hard work he expended to create this very valuable product. And,for free too!!