Dengue And Cholera Outbreaks In Thailand Bring Warnings After 30 Die

webfact

Dengue and cholera outbreaks bring warnings after 30 die

By Pongphon Sarnsamak

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Public Health Ministry has ordered its officials across the country to keep a close eye on the outbreak of two communicable diseases, dengue fever and cholera, following reports these illnesses have killed 30 people over the past six months.

Minister Jurin Laksanawisit said 26,185 dengue fever infection cases had been reported and six people had died during the past week alone. Two victims were in Songkhla province and one each in Nakhon Si Thammarat, Nakhon Ratchasima, Udon Thani, and Chai Nat.

The Ministry reported the Central region was the hardest hit with 9,823 cases, followed by 6,976 in the South, 6,579 in the Northeast, and 2,807 in the North.

Deputy Health Minister Pannasiri Kullanartsiri said people aged between 15 and 24 were the most vulnerable to dengue fever infection, followed by children between 10 to 14, and those from 5 to 9.

Jurin added he had also ordered public health officials to monitor the spread of cholera after reports of five deaths. Three cases were in Pattani and the rest in Songkhla and Tak.

Officials reported 982 people infected by the food-borne disease during the past six months. Among the infected, 708 were Thai, and 274 migrant workers.

Southern region has the highest number of people infected with cholera with 505 cases, followed by the North with 279, the Northeast with 166, and the Central region with 32 cases.

A cholera outbreak in 2007 infected 986 people and seven people died. The number of infections was reduced in 2008 to 200, and in 2009 to 300 cases, with 2-3 deaths a year.

The Public Health Ministry has issued a warning to people to protect themselves from infection by eating cooked and hot food, using a middle spoon and washing hands frequently.

For exported food products, Department of Disease Control's director-general Dr Manit Teeratantikanont said the department had strictly checked bacterial contamination among exports. Any food products with bacteria contamination would not be allowed to leave the country.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-06-29

• Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Using a separate serving spoon in all collective dishes is an excellent way of preventing desease transmition from an infected person to all of the other diners , I passed this information along to my extended family . The other thing of course is to ensure hand washing before eating , especially with children , one more thing , washing flip-flops is VERY important as they are recorded as carrying the most bacteria of all , look where people walk with them . When they are 'Flipped off at the entrance' other footwear should be provided if you have small children , the bacteria they carry is transmitted to the foot , deposited across the floor and thence to a small childs mouth playing on the contaminated floor . Walls and floors should be washed with clorinated , soapy water on a regular basis also to kill off even more possible bacteria , pay attention to door handles , the PC key-board is also notorious for the germs it carries .

Thailand warning on dengue fever

PHUKET: -- Thailand is facing a major outbreak of dengue fever and cholera, which have killed 30 people over the past six months.

A report in The Nation this morning quotes Health Minister Jurin Laksanawisit as saying that 26,185 dengue fever cases have been reported and six people have died during the past week alone.

Meanwhile, the number of dengue fever cases in Phuket is soaring, according to the Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO).

The ministry says that people aged 15-24 are most at risk of infection with dengue, followed by children between 5 and 14.

A cholera outbreak in 2007 infected 986 people in Thailand, seven of whom died. The number of infections was reduced to 200 in 2008, but climbed to 300 last year, with 2-3 deaths a year.

Here in Phuket, Provincial Health Director Narinrach Pichyakamin told the Gazette two weeks ago that his office had recorded 213 cases of dengue fever between January 1 and June 12 this year.

The initial target for 2010 was to keep the figure below 170 cases for the entire year, Dr Narinrach said.

Phuket currently has the highest incidence rate (63.4 cases per 100,000 residents) of dengue of any of the Andaman Coast provinces, and currently ranks 13th among Thailand’s 76 provinces.

Dr Narinrach pointed out that June and August usually see the highest numbers of dengue cases in Phuket.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-06-29

• Like 1

The Public Health Ministry has issued a warning to people to protect themselves from infection by eating cooked and hot food, using a middle spoon and washing hands frequently.

I presume that means a METAL spoon :whistling:

Just noticed a large poster in Tesco Korat stating that a separate spoon should be used for serving food.

The Thai habit of everyone dipping their spoon into the main dish is <deleted> disgusting!

Using a separate serving spoon in all collective dishes is an excellent way of preventing desease transmition from an infected person to all of the other diners , I passed this information along to my extended family . The other thing of course is to ensure hand washing before eating , especially with children , one more thing , washing flip-flops is VERY important as they are recorded as carrying the most bacteria of all , look where people walk with them . When they are 'Flipped off at the entrance' other footwear should be provided if you have small children , the bacteria they carry is transmitted to the foot , deposited across the floor and thence to a small childs mouth playing on the contaminated floor . Walls and floors should be washed with clorinated , soapy water on a regular basis also to kill off even more possible bacteria , pay attention to door handles , the PC key-board is also notorious for the germs it carries .

Better yet, never leave the house, put on a space suit, avoid contact with any people or animals and grow your own food in a closed environment. Or am I overreacting a little bit? :rolleyes:

They do mean middle spoon, as some families use their own spoon to take from the curry bowls and so! Not many use a middle spoon.

Just noticed a large poster in Tesco Korat stating that a separate spoon should be used for serving food.

The Thai habit of everyone dipping their spoon into the main dish is <deleted> disgusting!

Is that a 'Thai' habit?

Everyone I know here in Thailand, friends and family, all use a separate serving spoon for each dish.

I take it that dengue is only spread by mossies or has that now changed? Using a separate spoon to serve food is a must! Fingers are not acceptable! lol  But only controllable in your own house....If you've ever heard of H-pylora then you don't want it so don't share spoons with others including your kids as if you have it you can pass it on to them....It causes stomach ulcers and cancer...My parents both had it and when I had gassy stomach etc I got checked back in the UK. was glad that was the only problem and cleared it up with strong anti biotics......<br>

The Thai habit of everyone dipping their spoon into the main dish is &lt;deleted&gt; disgusting!

Is that a 'Thai' habit?

Everyone I know here in Thailand, friends and family, all use a separate serving spoon for each dish.

Don't know what part of Thailand you are from but here in Isaan, and indeed wherever Isaan people congregate it seems to be the norm. Also just 1 mug for drinking shared around is usually the case.

Neither a big spoon nor a little spoon!

The Thai habit of everyone dipping their spoon into the main dish is &lt;deleted&gt; disgusting!

Well dipping your wick is even more disgusted, look where thats been

and btw the most bacterial place on your body (not mine) is your mouth, huge hoard of microbial activity and then you engage in spit swapping with another mouth and you dont know what thats been on yuk

Toilet door handles, bannister rails on escalators in big C

just because Im paranoid doesnt mean Im not sick

--------------------------------

You are a lucky guy "dumball". I did also try to pass on the info and instructions how to deal with this,

but the only reaction I got was that "falang always knows best, I am Ok and our home clean, falang shall not

come here and tell thai not to share food as we always done."

So with this said, what the hel_l???? I really dont know what to do, more than to stop eat home and /or only

eat stuff that I myself have cooked.

Glegolo

Good info, dumball. Thank you...and for the tips. Everyone should be aware of these precautions.

I take it that dengue is only spread by mossies or has that now changed? Using a separate spoon to serve food is a must! Fingers are not acceptable! lol  But only controllable in your own house....If you've ever heard of H-pylora then you don't want it so don't share spoons with others including your kids as if you have it you can pass it on to them....It causes stomach ulcers and cancer...My parents both had it and when I had gassy stomach etc I got checked back in the UK. was glad that was the only problem and cleared it up with strong anti biotics......<br>

whats H-pylora?

thais do not use middle spoon, rather disguesting to eat other people's saliva...

THAIBKK, where are you coming from?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are refering to THAIBKK;s say, that thais dont use a middle spoon. I am surpriced that you

probably dont know yourself that almost the whole of Thailand is NOT using middle spoon or

other things to prevent sikness.

They have a common plate at the middle of the table and everybody use their fingers and eat without

any forks, knives or spoons.. the fingers goes into their mouths and than back again into the food at the

middle of the table. Of course this is not for ALL dishes, but for quite a few of them.

That is the reality here in Thailand. But maybe not in upper class in Bangkok, I dont know about that, but

here in Isaan at least, that is a fact. And that is what I at least have to fight against.

I have given up, and I am eating my own falang food instead and are trying to servive as long as possible.

Glegolo

'doubleduh' date='2010-06-29 16:47' timestamp='1277804846' post='3718451']<br />'dumball' date='2010-06-29 11:34' timestamp='1277786074' post='3717815']<br />Using a separate serving spoon in all collective dishes is an excellent way of preventing desease transmition from an infected person to all of the other diners , I passed this information along to my extended family . The other thing of course is to ensure hand washing before eating , especially with children , one more thing , washing flip-flops is VERY important as they are recorded as carrying the most bacteria of all , look where people walk with them . When they are 'Flipped off at the entrance' other footwear should be provided if you have small children , the bacteria they carry is transmitted to the foot , deposited across the floor and thence to a small childs mouth playing on the contaminated floor . Walls and floors should be washed with clorinated , soapy water on a regular basis also to kill off even more possible bacteria , pay attention to door handles , the PC key-board is also notorious for the germs it carries .Better yet, never leave the house, put on a space suit, avoid contact with any people or animals and grow your own food in a closed environment. Or am I overreacting a little bit? src='http://static.thaivisa.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:'

Your response is not funny , why do you think so many villagers get sick and the death toll for under fives is so high ? Hygene is NOT a high point in many Thai lives , just check out what I have suggested , it is health and lives being discussed , not the latest Thai tv comedy show .

whats H-pylora?

I think that is that bit of flesh between a womans vagina and her arse..............

--------------------------------

You are a lucky guy "dumball". I did also try to pass on the info and instructions how to deal with this,

but the only reaction I got was that "falang always knows best, I am Ok and our home clean, falang shall not

come here and tell thai not to share food as we always done."

So with this said, what the hel_l???? I really dont know what to do, more than to stop eat home and /or only

eat stuff that I myself have cooked.

Glegolo

[/size]

Yes I have adopted a similar pattern after getting blank looks. I very rarely eat Thai food in the house unless it has been cooked 'Suk Suk'.