Winxp Wont Recognize Rar

joka

hello,

i have this problem with xp not recognizing rar files. i wonder if this has something to do with the built in windows xp extractor. i had a computer crash last week, because of the windows update thing, so have been slowly rebuilding my setup.

i have tried winrar and 7 zip. a file is shown as a rar file, but clicking on it brings up the "i don't know what file this is " window . after clicking all the boxes for using winrar to open these type of file extensions, i can return again and find a few unchecked, rar being one of them. but if i right click on the item, i can unpack it this way. so i can still unpack stuff, but i miss the little stacked books icon!

joka - I assume your referring to the following icon winrar_icon.jpg

Your problem appears to be in the area called "file associations"

Try this. Open WinRAR, then click OPTIONS > SETTINGS > INTEGRATION

On left side, in column labeled "Associate WinRAR with" uncheck all boxes and then click OK and close WinRAR program completely.

Now reopen WinRAR, go to the same place and just check the one box labeled RAR. Close program again. (Note: Even thought only RAR box is checked, WinRAR will still open Zip files.)

Now test the program to see if you see above icon when you point it towards an RAR compressed file.

If you still don't see the WinRAR icon, do the following, in order shown:

1. Uninstall WinRAR using "Add/Delete" in Control Panel.

2. Reboot Computer.

3. Reinstall WinRAR, allowing it install itself using the default settings.

4. Open WinRAR and click OPTIONS > SETTINGS > INTEGRATION and check the RAR box on left side, if it is not already checked. Click OK.

5. Point WinRAR to a RAR compresssed file. (You should now see the "books" icon in main window in front of the files name.)

If above still doesn't work, it will be necessary to set the file/folder "Associations" for WinRAR manually. That can become a rather lengthy explaination, so would first suggest you check in your Windows HELP program for details. Just click on the HELP programs "Index" tab and type in "assoc" (no quotes). Look for a listing which says something like "associating file types with programs". Double click on the name, and select/read the help file for each topic you see listed and follow their directions.

Hopefully the above will help you solve the problem. Post back any questions.

cheers :o

hi'

you can also go to control panel/folder options. and look for .rar in the file types, then check that it's the right icon and the right program that is set to open them.

francois

Edited by francois

well, i tried doing it with checking and unchecking the file associations in winrar, nothing. i looked under control panel, file types, and rar isn't listed in there. i tried to add it, but that didn't work. where is the windows help program?

thanks,john

well, i tried doing it with checking and unchecking the file associations in winrar, nothing.  i looked under control panel, file types, and rar isn't listed in there.  i tried to add it, but that didn't work.    where is the windows help program?

thanks,john

if u hv downloaded tat particular file frm net.. chances are more that its a virus... try going to tool-folder options and chk show extention of known files and read the extention.. or may b the whole file is corrupted

John - OK, lets try the following:

Figure 1 folder_options.jpg

Figure 2 edit_file_type.jpg

1. Click on My Computer. When it launches, click the Tools button and select Folder Options. (You should see a window similar to Fig.1)

2. Inside Folder Options, click the File Types tab ( as shown in Figure 1) to reveal the list of all of the different file extensions on your computer.

3. Scroll through the list and select the extension RAR for which you want to change the icon.

4. Once you have the entry selected, click the Advanced button.

5. In the Edit File Type screen (Fig.2), click the Change Icon button, shown in Figure 2.

6. The Change Icon screen will be displayed. There, you will see various system icons. Now click the Browse button and go to Program Files and locate the WinRAR folder. Double click on the WinRAR folder and when it opens, look for and find winrar.exe. Double click on the name, then select the icon you want and highlight it.

7. Then click OK to select the new icon.

8. Then click OK once more to save your changes.

(Note: You don’t have to reboot after you make the change, because you should see the change immediately after you click OK to save them.)

Post back if you still have problems.

(PS. To view the Windows Help file, clickon START, then HELP & SUPPORT)

hello,

there is no rar listed in file extensions. i tried to add it but that didn't work either. is there some file type it should be associated with under the advanced button when i try to add rar as a new file type?

thanks,,,,,,,,,,john

John - When you tried to add RAR as a new extension, what message did you get (if any)?

If RAR was already "associated", you should have received a message (warning) that it was already assigned. If it is not assigned, then you should be able to enter it as a NEW association.

Suggest you uninstall WinRAR, reboot, then reinstall it again, then check the File Types list again for an RAR name.

Post back findings.