Anyone Know Of A Good Gardener?

Good Morning,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a hardworking, honest, reliable, reasonably knowledgeable gardener who is looking for a full time job with one day off a week in the Bophut area. Respectable local salary.

Please PM me if you can help.

Cheers.

I have been doing some research on this lately.... (oh do I want to get a work permit???)!

There are reliable gardeners around, (But they charge!).

I've watched some of them work & have been fairly impressed at what they get done in a day. (It's what I used to do, in the " west", so I know good garden workers when I see them.)

The complaint I hear, from both Thai or Burmese gardeners & some "Farang owned" companies, is some people are not prepared to pay fairly, for overheads etc, such as equipment, cost of gas & oil, tool repair (replacement blades etc. ) vehicles etc.....these things don't fall out of the sky! :rolleyes:

Some people just want pay a low amount of money for being "on the job"... which after considering the over head costs involved, means they actually work for next to nothing.... that's when they are not reliable, or come once never to be seen again.

I hear that statement so often," they not come back..." I certainly know why... :blink:

The other problem I often see is especially with grass cutting, there are too many rocks, that ding the blades....of weed eaters & lawn mowers. These rocks need to be removed to make the maintenance work easier. ... yes, initial extra work.

So what would you call a reasonable salary? If you think 200 to 300 baht a day, including equipment, I think you'll have a hard time finding anyone reliable. :o If that's the case, then Screamingeagle's statement is correct!

So what would you call a reasonable salary? If you think 200 to 300 baht a day, including equipment, I think you'll have a hard time finding anyone reliable. :o If that's the case, then Screamingeagle's statement is correct!

I used to pay 500-1KB per day (labor only), but now they just laugh at that. Like all building, repair, gardening, etc., it is better to either do it yourself or find an experienced farang friend to manage a few Thais. A worker's salary is only 200-300 per day, but if a farang hires them, they want at least ten times that, plus you will most likely have inferior work, theft, and many other problems. I also need gardening and concrete work and will pay 500-1K per day -- gardening once a week, but the concrete work would be several weeks. So, let me know if you find a worker who doesn't want the salary of a plastic surgeon!

Edited by parallaxtech

I have been doing some research on this lately.... (oh do I want to get a work permit???)!

I've watched some of them work & have been fairly impressed at what they get done in a day. (It's what I used to do, in the " west", so I know good garden workers when I see them.)

The complaint I hear, from both Thai or Burmese gardeners & some "Farang owned" companies, is some people are not prepared to pay fairly, for overheads etc, such as equipment, cost of gas & oil, tool repair (replacement blades etc. ) vehicles etc.....these things don't fall out of the sky! :rolleyes:

Some people just want pay a low amount of money for being "on the job"... which after considering the over head costs involved, means they actually work for next to nothing.... that's when they are not reliable, or come once never to be seen again.

I hear that statement so often," they not come back..." I certainly know why... :blink:

The other problem I often see is especially with grass cutting, there are too many rocks, that ding the blades....of weed eaters & lawn mowers. These rocks need to be removed to make the maintenance work easier. ... yes, initial extra work.

Mmmmmm! Thanks for that. I have all the equipment anyway thanks and am not asking for anyone to bring their own. I have no intention of paying a "low amount of money" as you suggest and am fully aware of what a good local salary consists of. If you trouble yourself to read my original post you will notice that I am looking for a full time gardener to work on a monthly salary. Not a team etc. on a daily rate.

By the way the only problem with Screaming Eagle's comment about "doing it yourself" which you later endorse, is that it does not take into account that it is not that easy to use a lawnmower or trimmers from 5000 miles away for part of the year! But thanks anyway.

Cheers.

Edited by nod

]

I used to pay 500-1KB per day (labor only), but now they just laugh at that. Like all building, repair, gardening, etc., it is better to either do it yourself or find an experienced farang friend to manage a few Thais. A worker's salary is only 200-300 per day, but if a farang hires them, they want at least ten times that, plus you will most likely have inferior work, theft, and many other problems. I also need gardening and concrete work and will pay 500-1K per day -- gardening once a week, but the concrete work would be several weeks. So, let me know if you find a worker who doesn't want the salary of a plastic surgeon!

Good Heavens! You have indeed been unfortunate if you have only managed to find workers that want at least 2000 or 3000 baht per day!

Mmmmmm! Thanks for that. I have all the equipment anyway thanks and am not asking for anyone to bring their own. I have no intention of paying a "low amount of money" as you suggest and am fully aware of what a good local salary consists of. If you trouble yourself to read my original post you will notice that I am looking for a full time gardener to work on a monthly salary. Not a team etc. on a daily rate.

By the way the only problem with Screaming Eagle's comment about "doing it yourself" which you later endorse, is that it does not take into account that it is not that easy to use a lawnmower or trimmers from 5000 miles away for part of the year! But thanks anyway.

Cheers.

Hello Nod,

I was making a generally statement, not trying to imply you were "cheap" (sorry!) I know see "labour only" .... guess not had my second coffee this morning, when I read it. But part of my answer was based on what I been hearing from asking around.... not just your inquiry.. .

What you are offering or have been paying, is much better than some people expect to pay!

I was trying to make a general statement & not trying to be personal... If you have the equipment etc, that sure would make a difference in pricing... Depending on your location on the island, I may be able to suggest one or two people. .. but they are in Maenam area & do not like to travel "great distances" ..... Bopout maybe OK ....

PM me if you like, if you don't get anywhere finding someone~!

Edited by samuijimmy

Cheers.

Hello Nod,

I was making a generally statement, not trying to imply you were "cheap" (sorry!) I know see "labour only" .... guess not had my second coffee this morning, when I read it. But part of my answer was based on what I been hearing from asking around.... not just your inquiry.. .

What you are offering or have been paying, is much better than some people expect to pay!

I was trying to make a general statement & not trying to be personal... If you have the equipment etc, that sure would make a difference in pricing... Depending on your location on the island, I may be able to suggest one or two people. .. but they are in Maenam area & do not like to travel "great distances" ..... Bopout maybe OK ....

PM me if you like, if you don't get anywhere finding someone~!

Thanks Jimmy. Sorry if I sounded a bit defensive. Thanks for the offer and I may come back to you. Have a couple of hopefuls to have a chat with first, so fingers crossed.

Cheers.

I have had one company , advertising as being experts, ruin my yard. Trying to contact another well known firm, not interested by the looks of it, business must be booming.

It's hard for you Nod, being away, Isn't there companies out there that do the whole home maintenance thing?

"Thanks Jimmy. Sorry if I sounded a bit defensive. Thanks for the offer and I may come back to you. Have a couple of hopefuls to have a chat with first, so fingers crossed.

Cheers"

Nod, You are forgiven! <_<

"Back west" I had several clients who I may be saw once or twice a year, for a few weeks... so I understand the trust one needs, to have reliable help.

I would send weekly or so photo updates..... of progress... So they always knew things were being done & how the wonderful garden looked! :D

Since I left, nearly three years ago, I still hear from most of them regularly... always the question, when are you coming back, we need you?..... No plans except, I am planning on staying here!

I've spent many hours labouring in my garden here & observing other gardens, learning what does & does not do well, or why...

As Rooo points out, " Isn't there companies out there that do the whole home maintenance thing?" hmmmm? The way the investment economy is going, :bah: perhaps so?