Study In Thailand

CrossBones

I have been thinking of doing a degree course in Thailand. I understand the tuition fees are really cheap, but not sure how much.

Can I get a UK student loan and study in Thailand? This would be a great blag, I know you can get student loans and study in europe if you are British.

Anyone have any experince of studying here? What universities are Falang friendly?

I was thinking of doing something easy, maybe journalism. Can I bribe the teachers to pass me if I dont go to class? How does this work? Lol.

I did some courses here in Bangkok. Undergraduate courses (mostly business subjects) in Bangkok University and Graduate studies (business subjects again) in Assumption University. Both universities are quite easy and not expensive. Prices depend whether your doing undergraduate or graduate classes.

If you need more info, pm me and i might be able to help you.

You can also check their websites:

www.bu.ac.th - Bangkok Uni (campus located at Rama IV)

and www.au.edu for Assumption Uni (Ramkamhaeng Road)

I have been thinking of doing a degree course in Thailand. I understand the tuition fees are really cheap, but not sure how much.

Can I get a UK student loan and study in Thailand? This would be a great blag, I know you can get student loans and study in europe if you are British.

Anyone have any experince of studying here? What universities are Falang friendly?

I was thinking of doing something easy, maybe journalism. Can I bribe the teachers to pass me if I dont go to class? How does this work? Lol.

by the way, do Thai universities teach in English?

what's the point of studying in thai uni/colleges when they dont teach in english and your thai is not good?

by the way, do Thai universities teach in English?

what's the point of studying in thai uni/colleges when they dont teach in english and your thai is not good?

Yes, some Thai universities have International sections where all classes are taught in English. Assumption University is the first international university in Bangkok.

But of course the quality of teaching varies....

What were you planning on doing with the degree? I do not think foreigners can work in Thailand generally on the type of jobs which require a degree. You can get one on KSR which will probably be as good as any.

Be aware also that a degree from a Thai university is not going to have the same clout as a degree from a Western university.

It is also unlikely that you will be eligible for a student loan and and any form of student fee assistance unless you are on some kind of student exchange program or a year's study abroad.

My advice would be to find a course in the UK which may offer you the chance to study for a year or a semester in Thailand. It is a unique experience.

Yet another cheating farang. And we wonder why we are held in such low esteem in the LOS

Yet another cheating farang. And we wonder why we are held in such low esteem in the LOS

Has he thought about learning Thai 1st?

Might make it that much easier to bribe those professors... :o

When in Rome?

Many universities in Thailand offer international programmes - Payap University in Chiang Mai for example. These are friendly and welcoming to all nationalities.

I know Canadian students can get a student loan from their government assuming the university is recognised (very easily done). As far as I'm aware German's can't though - I don't know about English.

Tuition fees are of course a lot cheaper than in England so your studying money would go a lot further. Your eventual degree won't be as highly recognised though, but for many people and many future careers this won't matter - you will have a degree. For your CV you can emphasize the experience of studying abroad.

The standards are maybe a bit lower than UK (certainly lower than the top UK universities like Oxford or Cambridge, but probably comparable with some of the old polytechnics). However, studying in your native language alongside students who are studying in a second (or third) language will give you a considerable advantage. Hopefully that would mean you wouldn't need to bribe your lecturers.

• 3 weeks later...

I am working on an english masters here in the US and my family and I will leave for Thailand when I am done, but I really wanted to also get a history masters. Can any one recommand and Uni in Thailand that will award fro a history masters in Thai history, or southeast asian history?