8 Killed In Landslide?

phuketrex

I've been told 8 killed yesterday in a landslide between Patong and Karon so presumably onto a Burmese workers camp? Yet there is nothing in the media.

Maybe this will be like when I posted about the 2 poisonings on PhiPhi 2 days before it appeared in the local farang media.

So you've read it here first BUT my source is Thai! This isn't something anyone is likely to make up but maybe they have their facts wrong. Anyone else heard anything?

Edited by phuketrex

No I haven't heard anything, but I'm in Rawai. With the heavy rain at times lately and the stupid hill sides "projects" people are building, I wouldn't doubt it! Weren't there were two or three killed in a mudslide just a week or two ago? And last year a camp had a mudslide in Patong killing several... Part of the cost of continuing to ruin the island for all, but the greedy developers. I hope there is a severe downturn in business and all the speculators lose their shirts and everything else.

Edited by Jimi007

I'll go and have a look in the morning IF it stops raining because where I'm told it happened is only about 400 yards from me.

2 were killed a couple of weeks ago on the hillside in Patong up behind the Beach House bar on Nanai Road.

Edited by phuketrex

This was around the time a local Thai told me "something big happening in Patong, many many ambulance, I don't know what." I was waiting to hear but nothing yet at the Gazette, Post, or the online news source which must remain nameless. Also checked a couple Thai online news sources and nothing.

There was a slide at the top of Patong Hill today (June 2nd) which closed part of the road, but the online news source which must remain nameless says there were no injuries.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Pretty much confirms it then :-( Why do they hold back on reporting it? If it's 8 bodies now ok and if they find more afterwards they can always say so in an update. I suppose it will finally make the news tomorrow.

Meanwhile a hole appears in Patong hill and it's all over the media within 30 minutes or so!!

This was around the time a local Thai told me "something big happening in Patong, many many ambulance, I don't know what." I was waiting to hear but nothing yet at the Gazette, Post, or the online news source which must remain nameless. Also checked a couple Thai online news sources and nothing.

There was a slide at the top of Patong Hill today (June 2nd) which closed part of the road, but the online news source which must remain nameless says there were no injuries.

a couple ofs days ago on the site opposite simon cabaret[ where the water/mud slides occur every heavy rain] the powers that be held a

landslide rescue training operation all sorts of flashing lights, EMS workers multiple ambulances , police etc

could well have been this event

Oh that sounds more like it! It was an exercise and they probably had people acting injured or dead as part of it. Someone passes by and sees maybe 8 "dead" people laid out and thinks it's real.

I've had a good look round where it is supposed to have happened...behind Safari Pub I was told...but see no sign of it. The road behind Safari is badly rutted and I could only get about halfway along it on my old Wave...a lot of the edge has fallen over the side in several places but not where I could see any shacks below. Plenty of elephants plodding up and down it. probably part of the exercsie took place behind Safari too.

Had not somebody suggested it was a training exercise would the paranoia have continued to grow like the 'hollywood murders' (-have we decided how many were masacred inn that atrocity yet?).

Actually surprised tin foil hats satisfied by training exercise suggestion given its far easier to hide deaths of Burmese?

Oh that sounds more like it! It was an exercise and they probably had people acting injured or dead as part of it. Someone passes by and sees maybe 8 "dead" people laid out and thinks it's real.

I've had a good look round where it is supposed to have happened...behind Safari Pub I was told...but see no sign of it. The road behind Safari is badly rutted and I could only get about halfway along it on my old Wave...a lot of the edge has fallen over the side in several places but not where I could see any shacks below. Plenty of elephants plodding up and down it. probably part of the exercsie took place behind Safari too.

talking to a mate who lives nearby the 'landslide'' area today and was definately an excercise

actually had a sign on the fence in thai/english advising of this

sign now removed/recycled..