Travelling Baby With Two Nationalites

lanky

I have my daugher who got her australian citizenship the other day as well as retaining her thai nationality she currently holds only a thai passport if she was to accompany me back to australia would she still be able to travel with me on her current thai passport or would she need any travel document apart from her airline ticket

Why don't you get her an Australian passport? That would be the easiest course of action, then she'd leave Thailand on her Thai passport and enter Australia on her aussie one. Thats what we do with my son when we visit UK. Otherwise I would guess that she would be subject to the same immigration procedures as any other Thai citizen - which presuambly means a visa. You also don't specify whether your childs mother would be accompanying you. If you take her on your own you'll need an official letter from the mother giving permission for you to take your daughter into Australia (at least you would to take her into UK and I guess our juristictions are fairly similar).Its all to do with one parent potentially abducting the child from the other. Hope that info helps.

One option would be to apply for a Tourist Visa, while in Australia go to any post office and apply for a Aussie passport . You will need the Thai birth certificate which would have to be verified in Thailand first by the Thai Government and a translation to English.

Visa's applications are made through VFS not directly through the embassy in Bangkok. VFS

We recently got a 3 month tourist visa to Australia for the father in law, it took less than a week with no hassles, although I know someone else applied recently for one and needed to show funds in a Australian bank account.

Definitely contact the embassy first. It might be illegal for her to travel on her Thai passport when she's an Australian Citizen.

I can't remember the details but I had to do this with my son for traveling to Austria. There's strict rules where the kids have to show the Thai passport on entry and exit in Thailand and the native passport on entry and exit in the other country. You can't choose which one you want to show, you have to show the right one!

For an Australian citizen to travel, they need Australian travel documents.

ok one more thing I will be getting an australian passport when she comes to australia she has unlimited time to stay in australia on an australian passport and if she has a thai passport she can also stay in thailand providing she her thai passport on entry to thailand if that is all correct then a rest my case