Advice On Literbikes In Thailand

ttakata I totally agree... Many superbike reviews start out by telling you you'd be mad to buy one and there's no way your skills match the bike's abilities. The fact that you can break most countries' freeway speed limits in first gear attests to that -- it's seems most at home on a track.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice guys, and please let anyone with a CBR600RR know that I'm in the market for one :jap:

A bit off subject I guess but I admire the way the MotoGP guys handle those machines, now 800cc but still same HP as the 1 litre bikes were.

Under heavy braking and Power drifting thru the corners etc...those guys must have HUGE balls. Always admire their skills.

The difference being of course everyone going the same way , no Thai traffic, buffaloes or dogs to contend with, full protective gears and run off areas.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you mention that price is a consideration, the most important thing I would think about is cost and time for servicing and maintaining the bike. You accidentally tip over the bike or have a small low side. How long and expensive is that going to be? I can't imagine what a pain it must be to get replacement rearsets, clip ons, or plastics for these bikes in Thailand, but I may be wrong. This is the most important consideration if you actually plan to ride the bike. It seems a lot of these bikes in LOS are 'poser bikes' with minimal mileage and probably no 'quality' miles.

Body size has no bearing on the 600/1k decision. Modern 600 and 1K bikes are almost exactly the same size. 1-2 inches in bike length and 15lbs will not be something you notice.

Your issues with Ninja 650R are completely valid. The bike has pretty lousy nonadjustable suspension, especially the forks. It will be night and day difference jumping to any modern sport bike. For a practical comparison, when I rode this bike around Pai/Mae Hong Son, I could not drag knee because of stability issues. Even older sport bikes will feel a lot better in the curves than 650R. It comes down to suspension adjustability.

Submaniac has it summed up correctly. The big practical advantage of 1Ks is that you have the power available in every gear all the time. You don't need to downshift. I have a 600. Some people I ride with have 1Ks exactly for this reason. After all day riding, they are almost always in 3rd - sometimes 4th. In contrast, I am all over the place to keep up with them. That said, this is a very quick ride that I don't think is possible anywhere in Thailand, even MHS. BUT... it is a matter of preference. One is not better than the other. I like doing the shifts and revving the heck out of the 600, whereas my friends just don't get to rev the heck out of their 1Ks nearly as often.

600s are also easier to control in the twisties. On 1Ks, you really need a *very* steady throttle hand. You have a lot more guys spinning out the rear and lowsiding on 1Ks. This is also why 600s are the preferred track day machines. 600s are just as quick in the twisties, and have more room for error. Up to about 100mph, you will not be losing ground to a litre bike in the twisties. It's only at higher speeds that litre bikes really shine and come into their element.

In terms of speed, 600s will 'cruise' comfortably around 90-100mph. 1000 will 'cruise' comfortably around 110-120mph. There are very few places in LOS where I would feel comfortable going these 'cruising' speeds since there is no such thing as limited-access highways. And top speeds? Forget it. At least in the West, you have places where you can top out your 1K without the thought of dying. In LOS, there is no such place.

If price was no object, I would get the best bike out there - BMW 1000RR and do my best posing on it. If you're more practical, I would look for a 04+ 600cc because I think 600s are more fun to ride.

One last thing, disregard all these random thoughts if you like to stunt. For stunting, 1000s are much better bikes.

A bit off subject I guess but I admire the way the MotoGP guys handle those machines, now 800cc but still same HP as the 1 litre bikes were.

Under heavy braking and Power drifting thru the corners etc...those guys must have HUGE balls. Always admire their skills.

The difference being of course everyone going the same way , no Thai traffic, buffaloes or dogs to contend with, full protective gears and run off areas.

WOOT! :lol:

So Glad you asked:

I know at least 2 guys riding brand new Gixxers. Might be heresy BUT I think this Gixxer looks better than new. When we say get those ugly cans off this is what we mean.

post-79990-033760900 1278430401_thumb.jp

post-79990-014372200 1278430416_thumb.jp

post-79990-091594500 1278430430_thumb.jp

Edited by powderpuff

ttakata I totally agree... Many superbike reviews start out by telling you you'd be mad to buy one and there's no way your skills match the bike's abilities. The fact that you can break most countries' freeway speed limits in first gear attests to that -- it's seems most at home on a track.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice guys, and please let anyone with a CBR600RR know that I'm in the market for one :jap:

Yes, and probably next season it is 1200cc..

So Glad you asked:

I know at least 2 guys riding brand new Gixxers. Might be heresy BUT I think this Gixxer looks better than new. When we say get those ugly cans off this is what we mean.

Very very nice! Most reviews about the new Gixxer (past and present) have been very positive with the exception of some who think it's a bit dated looking. I tend to agree- it's an incredible bike, but not as sexy looking as the Honda CBR1000 or Yamaha R1. Fortunately there's no shortage of aftermarket parts for those who want to add a little bling to their GSX-R B)

Here are a couple of beauties I saw at the Ko Samui Bike Week last month-

061210Bikeq.jpg

061210GixxerSSR.jpg

061210Gixxer1SSR.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

PairOfGixxersSSR.jpg

That video was sweet, cool CGI and an even better message.

I like all the latest Z1000s, I like how Kawi has the balls to do wacky tailpipes, at least they're different and willing to take chances.

I've always liked the 2003 the most with the stacked pipes, heavy, but still cool.ZR100022.jpg

I always thought a D-tracker or something meant for offroad use would be ice in bangkok with all the bumps and potholes. Maybe when I'm older I'll get a d-tracker.

Also, I have found one place that is safe to top out a big bike. Hit 270 on my 750. It's that road called Boromrathatoni, From the PinkClao bridge almost all the way to Nakom Pathom it is a raised bridge where no kids on scooters can throw their bike up 30 metres and no dogs can jump that high. Before the gsxr broke down I'd take it out out the city and back 3 times per week, and yes there are cars but almost every time there would be stretches with no cars for a couple kms with enough time to nearly top out 6th gear. This is about as safe as you get.

I know the police don't let bikes go up but I always just blow past them and they never do anything. I never really see any guarding the area anyways. Just one guy sitting in a tent on the Nakom Pathom side on the pinkclao side I never see any. One a couple times. I only got stoped once when I went up and there was a uge traffic jam so it was low speed travel. I gave him 100baht and went on my way. 100 baht was well worth the fee of riding up there liek 10 times already.

Hit 270 on my 750... Before the gsxr broke down I'd take it out out the city and back 3 times per week...

hmmm...have you noticed there may be a correlation between riding the hel_l out of your bike and it subsequently breaking down?

270 sounds pretty fast, you're a crazy man. You must catch a lot of airtime in BKK riding fast. I've caught air on my scooter going just 60-80 on some of the canal passover bumps.

Its different on a heavy bike, but its a raised highway with no off ramps for like 20 kilos. Sometimes I get some wind and handlebars start to shake a bit, then I slow down a bit. :D<BR><BR>But yea it was an indicated 270 before breaking and 6th gear was pretty much topped out.

Its different on a heavy bike, but its a raised highway with no off ramps for like 20 kilos. Sometimes I get some wind and handlebars start to shake a bit, then I slow down a bit. :D<BR><BR>But yea it was an indicated 270 before breaking and 6th gear was pretty much topped out.

Every time I don't hear from you for a while I start to wonder if you've splattered yourself on the highway.... Just a matter of time IMO... Good luck! :)

I was at Mityon Pattaya getting my ER6n serviced and I saw Bard's (SSR) Yamaha Fazer 600 for sale. I think they wanted 390,000 Baht. its a hel_l of a bike with arrow exhausts, tall screen and paniers. It sounds awesome. Its either a 2008 or 2009 bike. I was interested for a second until I thought either the wife or the bike would do me some damage.

The only way to find out whether it is too much for your competence level is to rent one 600cc bike and a 1000cc and try it out, if you did not crash it, than go for it man! Just kidding!

I think most important is conering, if you know how to corner, or go slow, than you are ok with litre bike, litre bike has lots of torque, like a mustang, and also higher gas consumption. As mentioned, the only way to find out is to try out hands on, but go slow and corner very slow until you get used to it. The Ninja 650 is a good buy, well there are all sorts of bike in Pattaya, try it out and decide.

Edited by Cobrabiker

Well, think weight. Think about all the roads and surfaces you have ridden on. Think the maximum top speed you would use and where you would use it and for how long.

I rode a liter bike the other day and hated it. When can one unleash XXX hp? Naught to 150 km in under 6 seconds - what's the next challenge?

An off road type suspension for the pot holes and waves often found in corners makes more sense. Good luck with the latest ZX-R 600 or CBR 600 RR on really bad roads. Let us know how long those high end shocks and forks are lasting...

After a few hours in the saddle, how much is your bum aching?

Hope you will find a weight to power ratio which suits you and your driving style. For me, I discovered that less can be more.

Ride on,

Chris

Going fast on a straight road is one thing. How are you on the 1095 going to Mae Hong Son? You might be overtaken downhill by a local on his Honda Wave. sure, he knows the ideal line to take and where to brake and where to accelerate etc.

Bet a guy on a KTM 690 supermotard will humble you in a mountain race. You are free to use a ZZR-1400 if you like <_<

The Metzeler test pilot has a time of about 7 minutes on the old Nurnburgring, a very demanding race track. Make that in under 10 minutes and you are a d*mn good rider.

Have you discovered the mountain roads with their bends yet?

Enjoy riding and stay alive,

Chris

Well, think weight. Think about all the roads and surfaces you have ridden on. Think the maximum top speed you would use and where you would use it and for how long.

My GSX-R 1000 weighs LESS than my Ninja 650R. Sure the Gixxer can go 300km/hr. Doesn't mean I want or need to go that fast. My 650R tops out at ~220km/hr. Doesn't mean I need to go that fast either! Dunno the top speed on my Vigo and quite frankly I have no interest in trying to find it.

I rode a liter bike the other day and hated it. When can one unleash XXX hp? Naught to 150 km in under 6 seconds - what's the next challenge?

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely and riding a bike with 180-200Hp is a fantastic experience but should be approached with caution and respect. Because of its incredible power I find the Gixxer to be far more challenging to ride than the Ninja 650R and it's a challenge I enjoy immensely. :D

An off road type suspension for the pot holes and waves often found in corners makes more sense. Good luck with the latest ZX-R 600 or CBR 600 RR on really bad roads. Let us know how long those high end shocks and forks are lasting...

Nonsense- you'd be surprised how capable modern sport bikes are on less than ideal surfaces-

MCAdventureR1.JPG

Real world example in Thailand. This "road" got MUCH WORSE yet we rode it with a Ninja 650R, VFR800 and R1-

011510Rt1243DirtSm.jpg

After a few hours in the saddle, how much is your bum aching?

Of the bikes I've owned in Thailand the Ninja 250R was the most uncomfortable, followed by the stock er6n / Ninja 650R. My GSX-R 1000 with gel seat and gel grips is surprisingly comfortable. If you ride a supersport correctly there's no reason they can't be as comfortable as just about any other bike.

Hope you will find a weight to power ratio which suits you and your driving style. For me, I discovered that less can be more.

And there's nothing wrong with that. As someone recently said, it can be more fun riding a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. On public roads I'm faster on my 650R because it's a far more forgiving bike. Make a mistake on a liter bike and you can find yourself in a world of hurt in a blink of an eye.

I leave you with this little gem :lol:

3295631-busaposter41811543.jpg

The more that buys the 600 is even better for me. :) At least they stay out of the way and at the back of the pack where they belong. :)

I luv it when guys with big egos buy litrebikes and join the rides with me. I will always remember the dude showing off on his brand new CBR1000RR. Sticking his knee out as hard & as far as he could, when in the curves.

He had a fright when I overtook him on the outside in a corner riding two up with my chick. The look on his face was priceless.:)

My bike? 115hp & probably twice as heavy as the latest Superbike on the market. LOL Mind you, 3 years of solid track days helps a lot!!

The more that buys the 600 is even better for me. :) At least they stay out of the way and at the back of the pack where they belong. :)

I luv it when guys with big egos buy litrebikes and join the rides with me. I will always remember the dude showing off on his brand new CBR1000RR. Sticking his knee out as hard & as far as he could, when in the curves.

He had a fright when I overtook him on the outside in a corner riding two up with my chick. The look on his face was priceless.:)

My bike? 115hp & probably twice as heavy as the latest Superbike on the market. LOL Mind you, 3 years of solid track days helps a lot!!

Kind of ironic that your last big wreck was on a puny little Triumph 675 huh? :giggle: Don't forget-

Looking forward to our epic ride over the long holiday weekend!

BKK-Tak-Mae Sot-Mae Sariang-Mae Hong Song-Pai-Chiang Mai-Nan-Loei-Bangkok in 4 days! EPIC!!!

Ride On!

Tony

errrmmmm. :ermm:

errrmmmm. :ermm:

Spud.... are you the Dude?