Where To Go ?

svenivan

This is the trip 5 guys took over 4 days in 3 provinces covering 850 km on motorbikes.

This map is probably the best map you can find over Chiang Rai province and half Chiang Mai province. You can either get a paper-one or a plastic-one. It is produced by GT-rider and you find it at ST-Motorcycle on Yet Jod (50 m from the new clocktower). This is just a small part of the map.

post-29230-005313400 1278137312_thumb.jp

We started in Chiang Rai on 1020, took left at trafficlight in Huay Sak on to 1306 to Ban Don Loei, took right on 1152

just a few km, right on to a "shortcut" towards Huay Kang.

That shortcut is a beautiful road going over the mountains.

On the top you have this view back towards Chiang Rai:

post-29230-078530200 1278137093_thumb.jp

Then 1174 to Payamengrai, from there 1152 down to 1020. Go north on 1020 about 10 km and take right to go up to the viewpoint.

Here is a view towards Phu Chi Fah:

post-29230-017915100 1278137387_thumb.jp

The road down to the valley is brand new, got asphalt a 5-6 weeks ago. Before it was a terrible dirtroad only for locals.

Here a pic of the new road:

post-29230-001198300 1278137422_thumb.jp

On 1155 we go north up to Pang Hat where we turn right up 1093 to Pha Tang. Pha Tang is an old KMT-village and from there is a road up to "Gate of Siam".

From there you (normally) have a good view over Laos and Mae Kong in the background. When we were there it was totally fog over Laos but the view over Thailand was really nice:

post-29230-031291900 1278137509_thumb.jp

We had lunch in Pha Tang with a friend that moved to the area.

Then we continued on this beautiful road 1093 to Phu Chi Fah.

There are two small roads from 1093 leading up to the cliff, both roads ending with a parkingplace and you have to walk/climb up the last 1.5 km.

On the northern road, the first if you come from Pha Tang, there are many resorts and we stayed a year ago 5 people at the last one (the highest one) on your left side. Then we payed 400 baht / person including a very good dinner in the evening and a decent breakfast in the morning.

It was one of the few that was open now and the price was 300 baht/person (incl dinner and breakfast) !!!

But my friends wanted to stay in the BIG city, in the village Phu Chi Fah where we stayed at Phu Chi Fah Inn and payed 300-400 baht per person.

A few of us took a trip up to the top and here a pic of the Laos side:

post-29230-060342400 1278137632_thumb.jp

And one over the Thai .side:

post-29230-081562700 1278137669_thumb.jp

Here a photo from our resort:

post-29230-057337000 1278137715_thumb.jp

Next morning we continued on 1093 to Phu Sang that is a nice waterfall just on the road.

post-29230-074430600 1278137759_thumb.jp

If you take a walk over the bridge, climb up maybe 40 meter, you will come to a hot spring that is mixing hot water with cold from a stream. So the water in the waterfall is never real cold.

After a coffee (or was it a beer?) we continued our trip on 1093, took 1210 and then 1160 and finally on our favorite road, 1148.

That is probably one of the most popular roads for bikers.

post-29230-092752300 1278138229_thumb.jp

We had planned to stay in Phulangka Resort but when we came there it was closed. But the view from there is spectacular:

post-29230-004163200 1278137831_thumb.jp

So we continued on 1148 and then took 1097 to Chiang Klang.

There we found a really nice resort about 5 km north of town, on road 1080.

Here a photo:

post-29230-038154900 1278137906_thumb.jp

We had dinner in town, back to the resort and watched the football in their sala together with some refreshments.

Next morning we continued on 1080 up to the Laos border. There was a market there, a lot of people, almost crowded.

After a coffee we continued on 1081. Beautiful views, almost no traffic, good asphalt most of the time.

post-29230-092030300 1278137962_thumb.jp

In Bo Kluea we turned right into 1256 but stopped after 100 m, on the right side, just before the bridge for lunch. I must say they served the best Fried rice with pork that I had this year.

Then on 1256 to Pua where we stayed over night in a good resort, 400 baht incl A/C, TV etc. Nice restaurant high up in the midle of town.

Next day to Chiang Klang, 1097 back to 1148, then north towards Chiang Kham, took 1186,

1126 and then finally 1020 back to Chiang Rai.

post-29230-043967800 1278138079_thumb.jp

post-29230-069227200 1278138108_thumb.jp

(a little detour when the GPS took the "Shortest" route, not the "Quickest".

A very nice trip on fantastic roads, beautiful views together with very good friends!

Life is good! :DB):D

• Like 2

Thanks a lot for this. I have been on many of those roads but didn't know that the road down from the top of Doi Yao was paved now. That mountain is only 20km from my home and I like to go up there for the air and the view. That new road down will really shorten my route to Phu Chi Fah and Pha Tang. Again thanks a lot. :)

Gave you a boost on your reputation as well.

Edited by villagefarang

Check your profile page. :)

"Points make prizes", or something like that.

Anyway, thanks for the trip report Sven, Maybe I'll get an Invite next time :whistling:

If thats the mountain I'm thinking about , I did it about 15 years ago in the Pickup. It took an age to get there.

Is it suitable for big bikes like VF's and Choppers , or is it still the domain of the mighty 250 or not so mighty Honda 125.

Is it suitable for big bikes like VF's and Choppers , or is it still the domain of the mighty 250 or not so mighty Honda 125.

We all drive 250cc offroadbikes because sometimes we find interesting dirtroads that we want to explore. But the trip on the map is perfect for all bikes, even those very big, very heavy 400cc Shoppers that are so popular!

But check your brakes before going up to Doi Yao! It is steep going down on the other side but good asphalt! I did the same trip with an old very heavy 650 Yamaha 7 years ago and at that time it was only a really bad dirtroad on the other side. Scary!

:):D:)

Yeah, I'm with you on the 250 Dirtbike, wish I could swap my collection of useless Scooters, phantom's etc. for one.

Or maybe, my wife will surprise me on my Birthday, Or Xmas.

Keep on dreaming Jubbmeister :whistling:

hi Sven ,

a fun trip report with great pictures ( i 'm never around this time of year , some nice clouds there ) ,

and you sure know where to go

& don ' t worry , i don ' t know your reputation really , but i guess it must be ok :D

( you still collecting the hash fee ? )

cheers

Just got back from doing that new road down the back side of Doi Yao. It reminded me a little of that road in San Francisco (Lombard St.) they call the crookedest road in the world or something like that. Incredibly steep with super tight hairpin turns. A little scary but fun even at a very slow speed. :wacko:

We turned right on 1155 and headed to Thoeng. Turned right on 1174 and stopped at a reservoir I like before heading over the Huay Kang shortcut. We ended up and Doi Chaang for coffee and bumped into a couple more friends there. A beautiful day, covering 192km, great weather and views, and visiting with friends. :)

Thanks Sven for letting us know about the new road. :D

Hope Sven doesn't mind my piggybacking on his 'where to go' topic but it is current and I know he is a Black Village fan, too.wink.gif Several of us have recommended a visit to Black Village but here is another visual reminder of why you might enjoy going there.smile.gif

Edited by villagefarang

Very nice photos VF, both from Black Village and Doi Yao.

Best time for taking good clear landscapes is coming up now.

Do you like the S90 better than the old Sony?

I have a friend that bought the S90 and I was impressed how sharp it was. And you can take RAW with it too!

:DB):D

Very nice photos VF, both from Black Village and Doi Yao.

Best time for taking good clear landscapes is coming up now.

Do you like the S90 better than the old Sony?

I have a friend that bought the S90 and I was impressed how sharp it was. And you can take RAW with it too!

:DB):D

RAW and a better chip, in a smaller package that fits in a pocket. What else can I say? Love the S90 and never touch the Sony anymore. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We all drive 250cc offroadbikes because sometimes we find interesting dirtroads that we want to explore. But the trip on the map is perfect for all bikes, even those very big, very heavy 400cc Shoppers that are so popular!

But check your brakes before going up to Doi Yao! It is steep going down on the other side but good asphalt! I did the same trip with an old very heavy 650 Yamaha 7 years ago and at that time it was only a really bad dirtroad on the other side. Scary!

:):D:)

It's even better on a Trek, Specialized, or Giant.

• 2 weeks later...