Wifi Connectivity With Laptops

britmaveric

I want to pick up WIFI hotspots with my laptop...

I need to know what sort of card or usb device I need to buy to achieve this result. Do they specifically need to say WIFI or will a bluetooth adapter or any other type wireless network adapter work??

hi'

just choose one 802.11G capable, there are 3 types the a, b, and g, with the g one you can reach 54mb/s, only 11mb/s with the b one, but get the best anyway :o

like Merlin said buy a PCMCIA WIFI card 802.11b/g, slot it in and enjoy the wireless :D

francois

The current standards are wireless-b and wireless-g, 11mbits and 54 mbits respectively. The real-world bandwidth is around 2mbits for b and 8mbits for g. Most adapters support both b and g.

Three types of adapters, PCI, USB, and PCMCIA. PCI adapters are around 1,500-2,000 baht, and are used in desktops only. USB adapters are around the same price as PCI adapters, and can be used in both desktops and notebooks, but for smaller ones the signal strength can be a bit weak. PCMCIA (cardbus) adapters are for notebooks, and typically they sell for more than the price of PCI adapters (I'm surprised at the 750 baht price).

Bluetooth is short-range low-bandwidth wireless, and not meant for networking.