Drive To Lao From Pattaya

neilf

a uk friend of mine who is in the uk now has asked me to find out all i can about driving into laos from thailand ie. vehicle checks etc. and any special requirements needed by lao authorities for the car or him-------------he has a thai driving licence

thanks

Hi ..is not easy but not impossible .....You need a pink coloured Passport for Your Car, which will be made at the Car Tax Office everywhere, when You can present Them a Visa, a Certificate of Thai Immigration about Your Location ,,,

The Book will last as long as Your Visa !

When You go to Laos for the first Time You need the blue Owner book for the Car ( if your Friend is not Owner of the Car..is nearly impossible !) get Your Stamps from Immigration and Custom from Thai ..drive over the Bridge to

Laos, and then Laos Custom Officer will check Your Car ( only the first Time You Enter ) about the Worth and if is OK or not You will Enter to Laos.

If him confirm You will get a max of 2 Week after again Stamp from Immigration and Custom in Your Car Passport !

so ..no Pink Car Passport no Blue Book Car Ownership no Entry ...

may be much more easy take a Fly to Udon Thani and go with Mnibus to Border ....  

Had some visitors who wanted a 4 day tour around southern Laos. We hired a car at the Ubon airport . They can suply vehicles complete with the required "passport". I imagine that this may be possible from other hire car outlets near the Lao border.

You might consider just driving to the Thai border , Nong Kai, and leaving your car in the secured parking lot which is only a few min walk to the Friendship Bridge. We left our car there for 3 days and I think it was B80 per day but this was a few years ago. Then rent a vehicle in Vientianne.

You might consider just driving to the Thai border , Nong Kai, and leaving your car in the secured parking lot which is only a few min walk to the Friendship Bridge. We left our car there for 3 days and I think it was B80 per day but this was a few years ago. Then rent a vehicle in Vientianne.

I echo Spaniel's post, Unless . for what ever reason you need your personal car in Laos, the best way is to drive to Nong Kai, Park, take the Buss across the bridge,and on the other side take a very inexpensive taxi to town. We live in Khon Kaen and the ladies like to go shopping in Laos, we have gone there several times, and never had a problem.