Public Spots In Thailand Go Smoke-Free

webfact

Special Report:

Public spots in Thailand go smoke-free

Thailand’s Sport stadiums and public spots have all turned smoke-free zones, following an announcement by the Ministry of Public Health on 28 June 2010.

Speaking at a press conference on the Government's anti-smoking campaign, Secretary-General of the Thai Action on Smoking and Health, MD Prakit Vateesatokit, reasoned that the proclamation has been released following the Government’s attempt to ban smoking in public places in order to prevent second-hand smoke effect on non-smokers.

MD Prakit reported that South Africa’s Health Department has prohibited smoking in 10 national stadiums as well as public areas and transportations across the country, in hosting the 2010 FIFA World Cup. Apart from publicizing its non-smoking rule to the people, anti-smoking signs have been posted at public stadiums and surrounding areas, while those who violate the rules will be banished from the restricted area.

FIFA has initially banned smoking at the 1988 Winter Olympics in the city of Calgary Alberta, Canada. All Olympic matches have then turned smoke-free. Anti-Smoking rule was also implemented at the 2002 World Cup, hosted by Japan and South Korea, and the 2003 All-Africa Games. More recently, China declared the 2008 Summer Olympics tobacco-free, while Lao PDR organized the fourth smoke-free Southeast Asia Games in December 2009.

Secondhand smoke is known as the cause of lung cancer, heart disease, low birth-weight , and chronic lung ailments such as bronchitis and asthma, particularly in children. The World Health Organization says the only effective means to eliminate the health risks associated with secondhand smoke is through implementing 100% smoke-free environments.

As a result, Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health had released its 19th Announcement on 28 June 2010, declaring all sport stadiums and public areas the smoke-free zone, in line with the Protection of Non-Smokers’ Health Act, B.E. 2553 (2010), in a bid to ensure the health and well-being of those present in the areas.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-07-06 footer_n.gif

Controlling pollution from buses, pick up, trucks...would have better effect on protecting people health than the second-hand smoke from cigarettes. :ermm:

Be careful with using logic mate. I tried it once and was berated for it.  :whistling:

Controlling pollution from buses, pick up, trucks...would have better effect on protecting people health than the second-hand smoke from cigarettes. :ermm:

Hey Both would be better!!

Bangkok will soon replace 4,000 transit busses with new, natural gas busses. That's a good start. Also, while far from ideal, Thailand has much newer and cleaner running cars and trucks than you see in India, Indonesia, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, and most all other developing nations of the world. I'll gladly take the air in BKK over that of Mexico City, Delhi, New York and LA.

Also, while far from ideal, Thailand has much newer and cleaner running cars and trucks than you see in India, Indonesia, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, and most all other developing nations of the world.

Don't doubt that, although it's farcical that tuk-tuks and songthaews haven't been made to clean up their act! The majority constantly spew out crap in public areas... tuk-tuks being the worst offenders. One of them going down the street in front of you must be equivalent to several hundred smokers blowing gunk in your mush.

Also, while far from ideal, Thailand has much newer and cleaner running cars and trucks than you see in India, Indonesia, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, and most all other developing nations of the world.

Don't doubt that, although it's farcical that tuk-tuks and songthaews haven't been made to clean up their act! The majority constantly spew out crap in public areas... tuk-tuks being the worst offenders. One of them going down the street in front of you must be equivalent to several hundred smokers blowing gunk in your mush.

Couldn't agree more! While it's great that they're trying to reform smoking policies, let's get the act together on exhaust regulation. The emissions that tuk tuks and song taos give out are repulsive, especially when sat on a motorbike behine them in traffic. :bah:

FIFA has initially banned smoking at the 1988 Winter Olympics in the city of Calgary Alberta, Canada.

Soccer at the winter olympics?? Or are FIFA part of the Olympic committee?

Another useless and incompetent report by the Thai news media. :lol:

Bangkok will soon replace 4,000 transit busses with new, natural gas busses.

Better than we can do in Australia!

I think you overlooked the word SOON in the sentence............SOON there will be 3G..........SOON there will be reliable internet..............SOON we will arrest those terrorists on the run...........SOON ........Thailand the hub of soons

FIFA has initially banned smoking at the 1988 Winter Olympics in the city of Calgary Alberta, Canada.

Soccer at the winter olympics?? Or are FIFA part of the Olympic committee?

Another useless and incompetent report by the Thai news media. :lol:

Can't even get basic facts right. Useless.

Secondhand smoke is known as the cause of lung cancer, heart disease, low birth-weight , and chronic lung ailments such as bronchitis and asthma, particularly in children. The World Health Organization says the only effective means to eliminate the health risks associated with secondhand smoke is through implementing 100% smoke-free environments.

This is another convenient scare story which has been comprehensively disproved by scientific studies.

I hate being in smoky places and I support any ban on smoking, but I wish authorities worldwide would not try to sell their legislation by lying; that kind of scare-mongering behaviour can quickly become a habit (see MMR, swine flu, bird flu, global warming, DDT, BSE, Y2K, etc etc)

This is another convenient scare story which has been comprehensively disproved by scientific studies.

I hate being in smoky places and I support any ban on smoking, but I wish authorities worldwide would not try to sell their legislation by lying; that kind of scare-mongering behaviour can quickly become a habit (see MMR, swine flu, bird flu, global warming, DDT, BSE, Y2K, etc etc)

I was wondering when someone was going to point out that the whole secondhand smoke thing is utter tosh. Just an excuse so the zealots can impose their preferences/beliefs on everyone else. Same, as RB points out, as AGW, DDT etc etc.

When will these misguided do-gooders butt out of other peoples lives? It's just so tiresome. Like being pestered by Jehovas Witnesses on your doorstep.

Isn't it a bit retarded to be smoking in a venue intended for healthy activities, not that inflicting brain damage at the muay thai stadium is that good a thing, but I always wondered about smokers puffing away in front of athletes. Not very nice is it, forcing these people exerting themselves, to have to inhale the smoke? At least I have the decency to walk away when I fart.

Perhaps Pattaya can be turned into a smokers paradise and all the smokers, perverts and drunks can be encourage to move there. Then, hopefully, Pattaya falls into the sea and the survivors are pelted with fireballs from the heavens, and................... oh, nevermind, I was watching Davey and Golith again:ph34r:

Sorry, but how can one take this seriously, when there is zero enforcement or compliance as it is. Thailand, the hub of empty promises.

Isn't it a bit retarded to be smoking in a venue intended for healthy activities, not that inflicting brain damage at the muay thai stadium is that good a thing, but I always wondered about smokers puffing away in front of athletes. Not very nice is it, forcing these people exerting themselves, to have to inhale the smoke? At least I have the decency to walk away when I fart.

Perhaps Pattaya can be turned into a smokers paradise and all the smokers, perverts and drunks can be encourage to move there. Then, hopefully, Pattaya falls into the sea and the survivors are pelted with fireballs from the heavens, and................... oh, nevermind, I was watching Davey and Golith again:ph34r:

Sorry, but how can one take this seriously, when there is zero enforcement or compliance as it is. Thailand, the hub of empty promises.

So true, but the money and global plaudits from the WHO keeps flowing.

And as yet, the chop chop tobacco market that is nationwide has NO tax. I hear the owners keep the Bentley dealership quite busy.