Mobile Phone

Hi All,

If this is a frequent topic I apologise in advance.

I am moving to Samui in the next couple of months. I am coming over there for work, and will still need to keep my UK number, although I dont intend to use it much in Thailand.

Upto now I have been using a Thai payg SIM on my visits.

I am out of contract i the UK with my Blackberry Pearl.

Would you - upgrade here to a new handset, but that means I am tied into another contract

Or - just buy a decent handset in Thailand?

How easy would it be t get a contract phone there? What are the packages like? (I will have legit company and WP)

Any thoughts appreciated.

You can buy a decent handset over here, prices are competitive, contract phones pretty much unheard of. That means you'll have to pay full price for the phone. But on the other hand, it will be unlocked and work here and in the UK.

Personally I only buy unlocked phones. Much less hassle. It's also overall cheaper but only those gifted with amazing maths skills can see that.

BTW I think you can get an iPhone on contract except it's not really a contract it's more like you are getting it on credit and have to pay back over a period of time. IMO not worth unless you're seriously short on cash.

Edited by nikster

I don't think Samui has any 3G coverage, so you'll be on edge/GPRS. Most of the operators have web access for about 650B per month. It wont be too fast, but perfect for email or basic browsing. Call costs are very low.

Not 100% sure, but I imagine you could get the BB unlocked over here and simply use it.

I don't think Samui has any 3G coverage, so you'll be on edge/GPRS. Most of the operators have web access for about 650B per month. It wont be too fast, but perfect for email or basic browsing. Call costs are very low.

Not 100% sure, but I imagine you could get the BB unlocked over here and simply use it.

Hey RedC,

Email is all I am interested in, do I just call them up and add it to my existing payg sim?

Sadly the BB is F'd!