Watching Online Streaming Television From The U.S. And/Or U.K.

jfchandler

Everybody has their own style and preferences...

I prefer streaming for a couple of reasons...

1. If I'm going to watch stuff from the U.S., a lot of it will be news. And to be timely, that's either going to be streaming or podcasts...

2. If I'm going to put files on my computer, I'd prefer them to be from the original source, such as from the podcast provider.... not from some uploader I don't know anything about.

3. When I have dabbled with torrents in the past, I had a lot of problems with interrupted and missing file parts, and that was from a place like Pirate's Cove.

4. With streaming, I know where to look for the different kinds of content I want, whether its TV shows, sports, newscasts, etc... For $11 a month, a subscription to Netflix give you more than you could ever get from torrents with far less hassle and time expended.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the USATVAbroad service I reviewed above in posts #23 and #30, something new definitely is coming at the end of July/beginning August...

Over the night, I received a couple of automated emails from them indicating that my trial had expired (which it has) and giving me the opportunity to log-onto my account to continue some level of subscription.

When I checked that today, I got a page that isn't publicly available on their web site that shows a group of 25-channel TV service plans and prices. That's not a type of package they currently offer. And as you may recall, I had a trial with their only 6 main network channels for $25 a month service.

The new 25 channel package (the same private account web site shows no option for the 6 channel plan) is shown with pricing of $39 a month regular and $49 a month with DVR service.

As I said previously, had they not have canceled the 6 networks service, I might have been willing to pay $25 a month to get ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, Fox and CW.

Now, it appears, they'll be offering some 25 as yet unspecified channels for $39 a month (1,255 baht). I'm assuming that would include the major networks and some selection of other channels. While costing a bit more, it still strikes me as potentially an affordable and worthwhile deal. But we'll have to see all the particulars when they roll it out around the end of the month.

I also noticed on the private/account web page I got that they're using a new name... USTV Now... And they're also showing a line item that's labeled "Free Plan" Not sure what's up with those...

In any event, I did a screen shot of the page and 25 channel package info, so others here can see what I saw... I'll be interested to see the company's official launch of the new package.

post-53787-002885300 1279014071_thumb.jp

I have found that the cheapest way to watch both US & UK tv while in Thailand is to get a VPN account. I use www.vpntv.co.uk as they are the cheapest but you have to have quite a reliable Thai ISP.

Based in Phuket, we use both ToT and TTnT and have found that the later is the most reliable where we are.

Edited by fluidfusion

DB, please stay tuned and have a bit of patience... There are going to be several more posts from me coming in this thread in the next couple days, including what I hope everyone will find to be a very useful list of free streaming sites for real quality content like CNN, MSNBC, BBC and such that I've spent a lot of time recently compiling (and testing to make sure they work) for my own use at home...

Been more than a couple of days and I'm still waiting for the freebies you promised us all :D

You're not reading the thread very well...

Last weekend, I posted here above as promised with the offer to PM the file of free links to anyone interested in it... Received quite a few requests, and PM'd the file to every request I received...

If you'd like a copy, I'd be happy to PM it to you...or anyone else, for that matter.

DB, please stay tuned and have a bit of patience... There are going to be several more posts from me coming in this thread in the next couple days, including what I hope everyone will find to be a very useful list of free streaming sites for real quality content like CNN, MSNBC, BBC and such that I've spent a lot of time recently compiling (and testing to make sure they work) for my own use at home...

Been more than a couple of days and I'm still waiting for the freebies you promised us all :D

chandler, that's a great write-up you are doing here!

To avoid waisting time because of text being lost in cyberspace I recommend Firefox and this addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5761/

Auto-saves any text input in text fields in the browser in multiple revisions. No matter why the text input is lost (browser/system crash, tab closed accidentally, content deleted/overwritten), this addon allows you to restore your precious work with 2 mouse clicks! For more ideas check this topic.

welo

Welo... thanks for the post about that...

Indeed, I've many times (unfortunately) lost draft posts for TV (ThaiVisa, not television) when accidentally hitting the browser back button, and then losing my text when returning to my original window... And it's driven me crazy quite a few times...

Same thing used to happen with random/transient power blips before I got a UPC for my PC at home.

So, installing the Lazarus add-on recommended in the other thread you cited is something I've already done!! The add-on seemed to get very good reviews both online and from a couple of ThaiVisa tech experts in the other thread.

However, I'm not sure the capability to save text from web forms has a whole lot to do with streaming TV content via the Internet... But it's a good suggestion nonetheless... :)

It's you who brought up the topic... ;)

OK. so I just lost an entire post I had written, and now I'm a bit grumpy...

Since you also revived my old thread on this topic I will post further comments there...

You're not reading the thread very well...

Last weekend, I posted here above as promised with the offer to PM the file of free links to anyone interested in it... Received quite a few requests, and PM'd the file to every request I received...

If you'd like a copy, I'd be happy to PM it to you...or anyone else, for that matter.

Sorry my mistake then, I'll PM you shortly and we can share our ideas. Thanks.

For people interested in watching European TV channels for free I will recommend this site :

http://www.net-tv.tk/

A lot of Scandinavian, German and UK stations for free and most of them you can watch from Thailand. The quality is surprisingly good.

Balo... thanks for that site and link... It was a new one for me...but it was fun to explore there.

But I looked at that web site, and was surprised to find there are quite a few English language stations there, including links to Fashion TV... (not that many guys on TVisa are going to be tuning into that, though there are quite a few scantily clad models there... :rolleyes:). But there definitely are a lot of choices there, in English and a variety of other mostly European languages.

Meanwhile, on the broader topic, I've gone thru and updated my list of online streaming video links for US and UK television. So if anyone wants the updated and latest version of the list, just PM me, same as before.

As I think will often be the case, existing links get kicked out and then are replaced with often similar, but slightly different addresses, like CNBCLive2 being replaced by CNBCLive10, etc etc. Also found a working link for Spike TV during the week.

Thanks for the comments and feedback from various folks.

What is next? How can we eliminate the issues of internet bandwidth/speed?

I'm not sure I should include this in Chandler's post - but it is along the same lines.

The biggest issues we currently face regarding place-shifting and/or time-shifting our tv/cable service is the size of the internet "pipe" on the receiving end (in my case, Thailand). We can already schedule and record our favorite shows on our Digital Video Recorders in the US or UK and *STREAM* them to us when we want to watch them. The streaming itself and the quality of the show is 100% dependent on the LIVE internet connection.

The next step would be for our DVR's to PUSH the recorded program to us during off hours, so that we could watch them program wherever we are in the world and not be constrained by the amount of bandwidth available to us. In other words, we would not watch the program until 100% of it "arrived" on our local hard drive.

With store-and-forward, we would eliminate the dependence on LIVE internet. And since programs are "pushed" during off-peak internet usage times, we don't have to wait. When we are ready to watch shows, we check our file to see what shows have "arrived".

I found two companies (one since out of business) who integrated a personal computer to the Cable digital video recorder. Overall the setup was too complicated and still did not push or forward the file to the receiving location.

FROM THE WEB

"Time-shifting of recorded or downloaded content is a natural next step in the progression of the online video distribution and consumption," said Michael McGuire, vice president, Gartner, Inc. "For online video fans, the ability to capture, store and forward content is going to be transformative."

NOTE: This is not a discussion of p2p. It is slightly different from current Sling technology, because the show is forwarded as a file rather than a stream to the receiver. This is still a "one-seat" discussion -- meaning that the content is intended for the subscriber of the original broadcast and not for sharing. Just like sling, I'm sure there will be legal questions and challenges before we know the true status of these emerging technologies.

One suggestion an online group had, was to work with the cable companies so that TWO identical set top boxes were required, and the stored file could ONLY be forwarded to its "sister" box further eliminating the ability to indiscriminately forward the files.

Others wrote that they wanted to receive the file and then copy that file onto their personal video players and video phones to watch at their convenience. Streaming to a personal device requires lots of bandwidth -- and fewer unlimited data plans might make this use costly.

The real question though -- will faster internet (greater bandwidth) make this entire issue a moot point?

Edited by chaihot

Chaihot, that's an interesting discussion you pose above...

I do think it's true that in general, available Internet speeds in Thailand will be increasing over time...how quickly remains an open question.

True, for example, is now beginning to offer 30 and 50 mbit per sec Internet plans in limited areas of BKK, and I'm hearing about fiber-optic services in the works...

The unknown issue re all that, though, is what kind of speed gains will be reached for INTERNATIONAL connections... I would be willing to pay more for a faster international connection, but having a 30 to 50 mbit connection only for domestic Thailand sites, for me and I suspect many other ex-pats, is pretty useless.

Earlier in this thread, I reviewed two commercial TV streaming services based in the U.S., one Slingbox based and the other Flash based. With my current 8mbit True connection in BKK, the Flash service worked really well and the Slingbox service worked serviceably...though the video quality was marginal. Likewise, a variety of other current Flash-based services work perfectly well here right now, including Netflix and the professional U.S. sports streaming services.

Given that such things right now can be made to work anywhere from marginally to quite well, you'd have to think that it won't take that much more of international speed gains to make them much much more accessible and satisfactory in their operation.

It would be great, meanwhile, if technology would bring some new tools to the table on this subject....

I hope if anyone out there has any different kinds of approaches to this that work in Thailand, they'll bring them to the table here....

I've been watching this thread with interest as i've been streaming TV for a number of years now. What i find missing though, is the delivery of such streams. It's all fine and well getting links etc, but my aim from day 1 has been to use streaming internet tv channels as a direct *free* replacement to Thailands current offerings like UBC/Truevisions etc.

For the purpose of this post, I'm using the channels i have on the most, BBC News, Discovery & NatGeo. I like to have these on in the background throughout the day, anythings is better than the terrestrial Thai stuff, right? :)

So for a start, you'll need a box plugged into the TV. I've had an old (modified) XBOX 1, a netbook, an Asus Ebox, and a Ps3. These are great video players in their own rights, but for live TV you'll need a frontend. For the Netbook/Box and xbox i used XBMC - Xbox media Center - a free download for all platforms, and a great media centre well worth a look at. It has a remote control frontend so you can use your favourite mobile device or web browser to control it from the armchair, and will play practically anything. It handles live streams by reading the contents of a file named "BBC_NEWS.strm" - in this text file you put the direct stream URL - "http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:51002" After you add all your channels, it'll look something like the following; (i dont know if i can post my channels here, but if anyone wants to have a go, i can zip and email easily enough).

post-4252-091288200 1279862703_thumb.png

My new prefered method is to use my Ps3. nativly this cannot play any streams, and only a few select video formats. For this we need to use a transcoder, and whilst there are many commercial offerings about, i find the opensource PS3Mediaserver ideal. This runs on your PC, and will happily relay any video, mp3 or picture to display in full glory on your PS3/LCD TV combo. It will also take URL's as live input, but i find using a direct stream is a bit hit or miss.

To get around this, i background stream the channels i want. I use software such as Sopcast or StreamTorrent to gather the streams first. From there you edit the web.conf condig file and enter the local address for your stream, something like(StreamTorrent in the example);

videostream.Web,TVs=National Geographic,http://localhost:15900/5.asf

post-4252-099348800 1279863763_thumb.jpg

The best source for BBC i've found so far is from www.livestation.com, or ps3.livestation.com to watch on the console - it's the only one i've not seen go awol recently.

For the record I am on True 5/1mb premium and can stream without hassle all reliable channels at any time during the day.

Phazey, I appreciate and am interested in your post below... But I'm also pretty confused about it...

1. You reeled off a bunch of hardware boxes and software items you're using.... But what I failed to understand through all that was...what does all that accomplish in terms of ability to receive streaming video content that is beyond what you can get with a simple Internet connected laptop or netbook with a video out cable to a connected TV?? What's the point of all the technology gear and tweaks you're describing below???

So for a start, you'll need a box plugged into the TV. I've had an old (modified) XBOX 1, a netbook, an Asus Ebox, and a Ps3. These are great video players in their own rights, but for live TV you'll need a front end. For the Netbook/Box and xbox i used XBMC - Xbox media Center - a free download for all platforms, and a great media centre well worth a look at. It has a remote control frontend so you can use your favourite mobile device or web browser to control it from the armchair, and will play practically anything. It handles live streams by reading the contents of a file named "BBC_NEWS.strm" - in this text file you put the direct stream URL - "http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:51002" After you add all your channels, it'll look something like the following; (i dont know if i can post my channels here, but if anyone wants to have a go, i can zip and email easily enough).

My new prefered method is to use my Ps3. nativly this cannot play any streams, and only a few select video formats. For this we need to use a transcoder, and whilst there are many commercial offerings about, i find the opensource PS3Mediaserver ideal. This runs on your PC, and will happily relay any video, mp3 or picture to display in full glory on your PS3/LCD TV combo. It will also take URL's as live input...

2. Re your direct "free" replacement comment, all of the streaming links I gathered in the TV sources file I prepared for this thread are freely available on the Internet... None of those in the file I prepared are subscription services, though I did separate reviews of some subscription services earlier in this thread. As far as I'm concerned, right now, I have absolutely no need for True's Thai TV offerings, though I keep their service for my wife. Everything I want to watch is available to me on the Internet.

It's all fine and well getting links etc, but my aim from day 1 has been to use streaming internet tv channels as a direct *free* replacement to Thailands current offerings like UBC/Truevisions etc.

3. I completely don't understand what you're saying below. I use and understand StreamTorrent and Sopcast. Both are free software programs that deliver streaming video content to Windows-based PCs. But what's your reference to editing the web.conf (I assume you mean CONFIG file) in those programs all about?

And I don't know what you mean about "background streaming" channels. You can stream videos to a PC or some other kind of device via the Internet, but then what??? Are you saying you are capturing or saving the streams in some fashion as video files for subsequent viewing??? I'm not aware that StreamTorrent or Sopcast have any capability for that in and of themselves.

But i find using a direct stream is a bit hit or miss. To get around this, i background stream the channels i want. I use software such as Sopcast or StreamTorrent to gather the streams first. From there you edit the web.conf condig file and enter the local address for your stream, something like(StreamTorrent in the example);

Hi there,

I'll have to answer briefly as i've "left the bath tub running"...

1)I've been streaming for a number of years, and my aim was to give an example of a permanent setup - no wires running around the place and no unsightly computers etc hanging off of shelves awkwardly. Also the control of the said devices is in most cases easier from the armchair...

2) I agree with you. I have my own sources of free streams too.

3)You've used Sopcast and Streamtorrent a lot. Run them on one PC and start a stream, then go to another PC (a laptop maybe), open VLC and then choose "Open network stream" Enter either;

http://<IP of PC>:8902 OR http://IP of PC:15900/1.asf (Sopcast and Streamtorrent respectivly). The stream will play on the 2nd PC/Laptop. This is Background streaming/relaying. Sopcast can only play one channel at a time, Streamtorrent can play many, you just have to change 1.asf to 2.asf or whatever.asf (can be found by right clicking on the stream window and selecting properties).

OK, I'm understanding a bit better now.. thanks for following up...

Re 1, in my case, I just have a book-sized laptop PC that sits on the table next to my bedroom TV, and they are connected by a single cable -- S-Video out and stereo minijack on the laptop side, and 3 RCA plugs (red and white for audio and yellow for video) on the TV end. It's hardly messy or obtrusive... The laptop is connected to my home's wireless N network, with the router located in the adjoining room. The wireless runs fine.

Having a remote control would be nice... I've read that the Logitech Harmony series of remotes will work with most of these kinds of devices, including many PCs and laptops. But I checked re my brand of laptop, and since it doesn't have infrared, it can't be controlled by the Harmony.

Re 3, OK, so you're talking about relaying a video stream from one PC in your home to another PC in a different room. I can understand that, although if you've got the second PC in the other room you're relaying to, presumably, you could simply use that 2nd PC to receive the content directly, since in your example, it would have to be connected to your network/the Internet as well.

I'd call that relaying, not sure I'd call that background streaming. But in either case, I'm not seeing how that in any way helps with the problem of the international bandwidth speeds we get here in Thailand sometimes dropping out or slowing down to an extent they stall live video streaming.

And re Stream Torrent, yes, one of it's nice features is the ability to have multiple windows and video sources playing simultaneously. I've done that sometimes, and then just minimized and muted the stream I wasn't watching, while maximizing and turning up the sound for the one I was watching. Of course, there again, you face the bandwidth problem. If you're trying to play 2 or 3 or more streams simultaneously, each of them is eating into/using up your bandwidth. Playing one at a time means your whole available bandwidth can go toward that stream.

Lastly, one small piece of hardware that I have found useful is a stereo Bluetooth earbuds set I picked up at FortuneTown for about 1,800 baht. Since my laptop has Bluetooth, I can direct the audio from my laptop to the Bluetooth headset, so at night I can watch and listen to programming without disturbing my wife once she's sleeping.

The model I got was a Samsung SBH650, which basically is just a pair of earbuds plugged into a small matchbook sized receiver that can be worn with a clip or on a lanyard. So if I want to go grab something to eat or drink from the kitchen while I'm watching something, I can still hear the broadcast audio via the Bluetooth headset even when I'm momentarily out of the room. It's also nice not having to worry about being tethered to the TV or laptop via a headphones cable, for the same reason. Once I got the Bluetooth headset, I did have to buy the separate Bluetooth software (BlueSoleil) since my laptop didn't come with its own manufacturer installed set-up for stereo Bluetooth.

1)I've been streaming for a number of years, and my aim was to give an example of a permanent setup - no wires running around the place and no unsightly computers etc hanging off of shelves awkwardly. Also the control of the said devices is in most cases easier from the armchair...

3)You've used Sopcast and Streamtorrent a lot. Run them on one PC and start a stream, then go to another PC (a laptop maybe), open VLC and then choose "Open network stream" Enter either;

http://<IP of PC>:8902 OR http://IP of PC:15900/1.asf (Sopcast and Streamtorrent respectivly). The stream will play on the 2nd PC/Laptop. This is Background streaming/relaying. Sopcast can only play one channel at a time, Streamtorrent can play many, you just have to change 1.asf to 2.asf or whatever.asf (can be found by right clicking on the stream window and selecting properties).

Hopefully this isn't old news to everyone but me ... but I came across an older thread on the slings here on TV. Although it didn't add anything new to the current discussion, it does contain some interesting personal experiences and screen captures.

• 2 weeks later...

Have I got a GREAT USA TV deal for folks here, and best of all, it's absolutely free with no catches or strings...

Earlier in this thread, I reviewed and wrote about a U.S. TV service from the U.S. called USATVAbroad, which offered several pay per month plans for accessing U.S. cable television networks over the Internet to U.S. folks living abroad. And then, after I had tried and reviewed a trial of one of their plans, they abruptly canceled that plan, and promised something new was coming as of Aug. 1... Well, that new thing is here now.

The same company is back with a new name and web site that's now called USTVNow, and by registering for a free account with them and no strings attached, you will get FREE, and let me repeat that, FREE and unlimited 24/7 access to their Flash video feed of the 6 major U.S. TV networks -- ABC, CBS, NBC, CW, Fox and PBS. No credit cards, no deposits, no other catches. But it does strike me as a really great marketing move to enlist paying customers for their broader service.

If you're satisfied with the six major networks and want nothing more, you can continue with that and it won't cost you a dime... But now, the $100 and $200 per month many cable channel plans they had offered in the past are gone. And their new pay services are much simpler and less expensive, instead offering the 6 major networks plus 15 other cable channels (and they're mostly good ones with CNN, CNBC, FX, USA, TBS, TNT, ESPN, etc) for a flat $39 per month or $49 per month with DVR capability. For me, and considering the other options and pricing available elsewhere, I think this is a great deal.

I already had my prior signup account with USTVNow from my trial, so I didn't have to register again. But their registration page is located here, and is easy to complete, with them asking only that you create a User ID and password. The FAQ document on the new service, including the full list of channels offered in their pay plans, is located here.

After finding out that their new and free service was available earlier today, I signed on again and was watching their free TV feed during the day at home, and the video quality was quite good. No technical problems at all. And the nice part is, on the same page as the video window, they also have an online programming guide that shows you what's airing on all the channels for the time period you're watching. To choose or change the channel, just click your selected channel name on the online channel guide.

For those who may not remember my earlier posts on this company, their video feed is coming from the Pennsylvania area, so all the networks and channels are running on Eastern Standard Time. And the local content such as local news, rather than coming from New York or L.A., is coming from Pennsylvania. But considering the deal on offer, I'm not going to complain.

I'm going to stay with the free service for a bit, and see how they do in terms of reliability. And if all goes well, I'd be seriously considering spending the $39 a month to gain access to their full cable channels lineup, considering that the example channels I mentioned above are really the ones I'd want to watch anyway. And at $39 per month, that works out to less than 1,250 baht... which is less than the cost of a TrueVisions monthly Gold Package payment.

Just from a sports perspective alone, if I can watch NBC, Fox and ESPN during the pro football season, I can see everything I'd otherwise see on ASN... And that doesn't even begin to touch the content from all the other cable channels that are part of their $39 package...

On their web site, the service is labeled "USTVNow Beta", which isn't surprising since it just launched. And of course, they could change their plans or service at any time in the future... But for right now, I'd say, try USTVNow, see what you think, and post about it here....

Screen capture of their web page and video window posted below... The video window can be adjusted to "full screen" by clicking a small icon in the video window, the same as most other Flash players.

post-53787-025211200 1281176600_thumb.jp

Edited by jfchandler

So, let's talk about one available option, for those who are willing to spend a little bit of money...

It's interesting they're using Slingplayer software.. the same software you get with a $100 Slingbox..

Do you know if their quality is somehow better than you get through a Slingbox?

Have I got a GREAT USA TV deal for folks here, and best of all, it's absolutely free with no catches or strings...

and is easy to complete, with them asking only that you create a User ID and password.

But for right now, I'd say, try USTVNow, see what you think, and post about it here....

I wish you woud have mentioned that you need an american social security number or USA credit card to register.

Re the post above, you definitely DO NOT need a credit card or SSN to register for and watch the free service (6 major networks).... As I said above, only create a User ID and password.

Re their pay service, I signed up for a paid trial before, and wasn't asked for anything about a SSN. I did have to use a credit or debit card to make the payment...

Here's exactly what is says on their web site's registration page....

Terms and Conditions
  • I am a US citizen or resident.

• I understand and agree that I may not share my member's area login details with anyone else. These details are for my personal use only.

<-- Check to agree to above conditions

Edited by jfchandler

I'd suggest you look at the USTVNow service I've reviewed above in post #50.

The 100% free part of that service provides unlimited 24/7 streaming of the six major U.S. TV Networks -- ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW and PBS -- all via very good quality Flash video, which I found to be better quality and less bandwidth intensive that the Slingbox services reviewed earlier in this thread...

And a whole lot less expensive to, even if you decide to opt for USTV Now's paid plan -- $39 per month -- that adds 15 other cable channels like CNN, CNBC, ESPN, USA, TNT, TBS, etc... But you can also just stick to the 6 major networks and not pay a dime.

The other nice thing about USTVNow's service is that it does NOT require any kind of VPN or proxy to function... because it's intended specifically for the ex-pat clientele, and because it's not open to public streamers like Justin.TV, it's not being blocked by the Thai government.

So, let's talk about one available option, for those who are willing to spend a little bit of money...

It's interesting they're using Slingplayer software.. the same software you get with a $100 Slingbox..

Do you know if their quality is somehow better than you get through a Slingbox?

http://www.fakenameg...rity-number.php

and is easy to complete, with them asking only that you create a User ID and password.

But for right now, I'd say, try USTVNow, see what you think, and post about it here....

I wish you woud have mentioned that you need an american social security number or USA credit card to register.

Re the post above, you definitely DO NOT need a credit card or SSN to register for and watch the free service (6 major networks).... As I said above, only create a User ID and password.

Re their pay service, I signed up for a paid trial before, and wasn't asked for anything about a SSN. I did have to use a credit or debit card to make the payment...

Here's exactly what is says on their web site's registration page....

Terms and Conditions
  • I am a US citizen or resident.

• I understand and agree that I may not share my member's area login details with anyone else. These details are for my personal use only.

<-- Check to agree to above conditions

When i tried to register this morning it asked me for a SS# or USA cc. I told an american mate about it and he had no touble registering using a USA cc and is watching it now and says it is quite a good stream. Bad luck for us Aussies.

http://www.fakenameg...rity-number.php

thanks for that, knew there would have to be a way around it.

any ideas how to record the stream?

RE USTV Now, they do offer a slightly more expensive plan, $49 per month, that includes an integrated DVR service....

If you notice, on the online programming guide, each of the shows has a little "rec" next to the program name. I assume that activates the recording of that show, if one has subscribed to their DVR plan...

But, I've never tried or used their DVR service, so I don't have any direct experience with it...

The other way, of course, would be to use some kind of screen recording software on your PC...totally separate from USTV Now's service. There are various programs that accomplish that that can be downloaded online.

As much as i thank the OP for some good info i think this thread has always been about promoting this ustvnow, the op never mentions in his lengthy posts that you have to be a US citizen to use it and you need to provide proof of that something that isnt mentioned until you have signed up and provided your email address!!