Ever Accidentally Closed The Browser Window While Typing A Long Post?

welo

I often type longer posts on message boards and numerous times I've been extremely frustrated by the current window (tab) just disappearing/closing for no apparent reason.

I am using Firefox. I think I found the culprit now. Firefox has a shortcut to close the current tab, and this is what happened: when typing fast on my Laptop keyboard I unintentionally hit CTRL-W closing the current tab. Bang! All the text gone and mostly no way to recover if the forum software doesn't support it.

Solution: Use the 'keyconfig' addon to disable this shortcut.

My question to the respectable thaivisa community:

Sometimes I would type my text in a text editor and then copy/paste into the forum software when finished, but this is not really a satisfactory solution IMHO.

Do you know of any Firefox addon that can auto-save the contents of editor panes in case something goes wrong? I used addons that can restore a closed tab, but those wouldn't restore the text contens of an editing pane.

I also looked for addons that store data entered in forms, but those wouldn't work with the editing pane of some/most forum software.

welo

Happens to me all the time but not Firefox window closing out...but internet timing out when I pressed the submit button then I had to do it all over again...sometimes when I click back the text is still there but most of the time its gone.

Thanks to all for your comments!

RKA, but that's exactly what I said I sometimes do (using an external text editor) and don't find really satisfactory :)

Tywais, that's actually one of the addons I have currently installed. Doesn't work with the thaivisa forum software though. No idea why.

Furthermore, it's still only a small improvement on doing a copy/paste.

I would rather like to use the editor inside the browser, and just have an auto-save feature that allows me to recall the typed text from the context menu or a special dialog in case something goes wrong.

I remember testing a form field logger addon that would exactly do this, but it only worked for simple text input fields, not for the editor pane that more complex editors use (there is actually a difference in the HTML component used and the addon only supported simple <input> fields

Or, I save it on the edit bar at the top of my browser.

What do you mean by that?

Still hope somebody found something that I have missed.

welo

I often type longer posts on message boards and numerous times I've been extremely frustrated by the current window (tab) just disappearing/closing for no apparent reason.

I am using Firefox. I think I found the culprit now. Firefox has a shortcut to close the current tab, and this is what happened: when typing fast on my Laptop keyboard I unintentionally hit CTRL-W closing the current tab.

I can say with absolute certainty that this has never happened to me. Random power outages -- now that's a different story...

Sometimes I would type my text in a text editor and then copy/paste into the forum software when finished

I do it all the time.

I can say with absolute certainty that this has never happened to me.

Well, I reflected on possible reasons for those tab closing phenomenon. I have 'Client for Google Translate' installed which activates on pressing CTRL twice. Sometimes I accidentally activate that window, not sure why (clumsy fingers!?). The tab proglem is always related to this 'incident'. I noticed that sometimes after closing the translator window the focus would not return back to the edit pane inside the browser but jump to the tab frame.

Whatever, I understand that maybe this problem is very specific to me and my clumsy fingers :) I will keep searching for this auto-save feature for form inputs and editor panes, since it would be a nice feature anyway, no matter why the tab is being closed.

Let's see whether disabling CTRL-W actually solved my issue or not, it's not too long ago that I changed this setting, too early to say if it helped or not.

Thanks to all for the input.

welo

Thanks to all for your comments!
Or, I save it on the edit bar at the top of my browser.
What do you mean by that?

welo

At the top of the screen are options like File Edit View History. Periodically, I highlight my entire post in the white box and copy it. Then add more comments or send.

Happens to me all the time but not Firefox window closing out...but internet timing out when I pressed the submit button then I had to do it all over again...sometimes when I click back the text is still there but most of the time its gone.

About the only thing FF does well is crash. Often. Especially when sessions time out because my ADSL connection pauses for minutes at a time. Then when you restart it tries to restart the session often leading to multiple windows popping up all over with session expired messages and CRASH. Worst is when it crashes in this way and the SCREEN LOCK is on it freezes the computer and forces shutting down by turning off the power button. AVOID FF.

Well, I reflected on possible reasons for those tab closing phenomenon. I have 'Client for Google Translate' installed which activates on pressing CTRL twice.

welo

Are there any options where one can customize hotkeys? Instead CTRL (twice) may be change it some other combination.

This would definitely help.

SeaMonkey is another derivative without the X-Close icons for every tab, but just a single X-Close icon on the right-hand side of the tab bar.

I am not sure if this might overcome your typing conundrums, but it is IMHO less error-prone than Firefox.

The other one I found to keep on target using this new 'laptop' gadget is that I have covered the touchpad with a piece of cardboard and have a REAL mouse by my side, so that my thumbs don't stuff me up while I'm a typing hard.

SeaMonkey is another derivative without the X-Close icons for every tab, but just a single X-Close icon on the right-hand side of the tab bar.

I am not sure if this might overcome your typing conundrums, but it is IMHO less error-prone than Firefox.

The other one I found to keep on target using this new 'laptop' gadget is that I have covered the touchpad with a piece of cardboard and have a REAL mouse by my side, so that my thumbs don't stuff me up while I'm a typing hard.

Not sure my disappearing tabs are due to the close button, but I might give it a chance.

Btw you don't need to switch browsers, you can easily configure Firefox to match your needs

Enter 'about:config' in the Firefox address bar.

Enter: browser.tabs.closeButtons

Possible values and their effects

0 : Display a close button on the active tab only

1 : Display close buttons on all tabs (Default)

2 : Don’t display any close buttons

3 : Display a single close button at the end of the tab strip (Firefox 1.x behavior)

I agree that the touchpad can be VERY annoying, I often disable it while typing longer texts, especially if I have my USB mouse connected.

I actually noticed that during the last 'incident' the touchpad was not disabled.

Maybe it's all just a massive conspiracy between my touchpad, the CTRL key, Firefox and thaivisa to steal my precious life time...

Btw: if you don't have a hardware button to disable your touchpad you might check out if the driver supports disabling it.

With my Touchpad driver (ALPS on Windows 7) there are some nice features that can be enabled (goto Control Panel / Mouse Settings).

• Tap off when typing.
  • Detailed settings on the scroll area for vertival and horizontal scrolling
  • Touch Settings
  • Display Icon In the Taskbar (unfortunately no way to easily turn off the touchpad from there)

welo

EDIT: found a small tool that claims to support the 'disable touchpad when typing' feature even if your driver does not support it. Anyway, you should check if you have a propert touchpad driver installed on your system if you are running XP. The built-in touchpad driver does not support a lot of those gimmicks.

Edited by welo

Not sure my disappearing tabs are due to the close button, but I might give it a chance.

Enter 'about:config' in the Firefox address bar.

Enter: browser.tabs.closeButtons

Possible values and their effects

0 : Display a close button on the active tab only

1 : Display close buttons on all tabs (Default)

2 : Don't display any close buttons

3 : Display a single close button at the end of the tab strip (Firefox 1.x behavior)

I agree that the touchpad can be VERY annoying, I often disable it while typing longer texts, especially if I have my USB mouse connected.

I actually noticed that during the last 'incident' the touchpad was not disabled.

Maybe it's all just a massive conspiracy between my touchpad, the CTRL key, Firefox and thaivisa to steal my precious life time...

Btw: if you don't have a hardware button to disable your touchpad you might check out if the driver supports disabling it.

With my Touchpad driver (ALPS on Windows 7) there are some nice features that can be enabled (goto Control Panel / Mouse Settings).

• Tap off when typing.
  • Detailed settings on the scroll area for vertival and horizontal scrolling
  • Touch Settings
  • Display Icon In the Taskbar (unfortunately no way to easily turn off the touchpad from there)

welo

Btw you don't need to switch browsers, you can easily configure Firefox to match your needs

Welo, I can tell by that kind response to my foolish suggestion that you are either a goodf lady or a good gentleman. It's good to know that I'm not dreaming when I am awake thesedays, and so thanks for the help and I wish you sweet dreams and happy wake up tomorrow. Norn laab faan dee, khap.

:)

Edited by SeanMoran

Welo, I can tell by that kind response to my foolish suggestion that you are either a goodf lady or a good gentleman. It's good to know that I'm not dreaming when I am awake thesedays, and so thanks for the help and I wish you sweet dreams and happy wake up tomorrow. Norn laab faan dee, khap.

:)

That's nice to hear, thank you! I am a married (straight) man though :D Others might say I should go get a real life, 've been spending too much time on thaivisa lately LOL

I actually switched the close button according to your recommendations, so even though the suggestion to switch browsers was maybe a bit over the top the idea about the close button was definitely a good one! Thank you!

welo

Im also on Firefox and never had this problem until I

Im also on Firefox and never had this problem before I started using it as my main Browser,its undoubtedly a Firefox problem.

But I'll trade it off with the extra speed achieved by using Firefox.

I normally press the back button and usually get my text back,but not always.

My firefox NEVER loses any text in any form or box when it crashes, I was thinking that this function is in the core now ?

But i also have TEXT AREA CACHE addon, so maybe it is the one that helps ?

Nice one!!

Crashing is not the problem, but accidentally closing the tab. At least in my case.

I like the TextArea Cache Addon, it resides in the status bar and allows a preview of the cached/archived text. Minor inconvenience is that you have to copy/paste the text to restore it into the text area.

Lazarus handles all kinds of form fields, and can restore complete forms. All from the context menu. The preview contains just the first 30 characters. The preview shows up on mouse over.

Well, a matter of personal liking I guess.

Wonderful, I will never ever have to rewrite a post again :)

welo

• 5 months later...

I've lost a lot of draft posts over the years, some of them long and involved... So seeing this and the add-on solutions is a great benefit...

I have a UPC at home, so random and/or transient power outages haven't been the cause.

Rather, it's usually been accidentally hitting some key on my keyboard or mouse that goes back one window in my browser history that loses my draft post.

As commented below, sometimes then moving one window forward to the original post will restore the text.. But many times, the original window just restores with a blank entry field...

I've used FireFox and currently Pale Moon, and I've never been able to figure why sometimes it restores and sometimes it doesn't.

And I don't think it has anything to do with the length of time something has been onscreen, because I've had some long draft posts on my screen for long times in drafting, only to then see them disappear by accident.

GGGRRR.......

I normally press the back button and usually get my text back,but not always.