I've Got It!

Jockstar

Ok. Firstly lets go back a few months. Well at least 4-5. I went to True at Fortune Town with the missus. Passport with me and bill from my direct line(its not in my name). So i say"Can i sign up?"

" Yes!"

"Ok heres my passport etc."

"Oh the number isn't in your name. Well you need a copy of the owners ID card."

"Its under the name @@@ Motors"

"Sorry you need that ID card"

Ok you get the message. I asked the manager at my apartments and she not very forthcoming. So I resign myself to the fact i aint gonna get it.

Untill recently i've been talking to 2 people i work with and they live in apartments. They got it no probs. No need to show ID cards of owners. Their lines arent in their names either. So i thought. I'll try again but i wont take the missus. So i get there. They find me someone who speaks English.

"Yes sir can i help-?"

"i want to sign up for TRue internet"

"Ok do you have a number already? And is it under your name?"

"Yes i have a number and no its not under my name."

" do you have a copy of their ID?"

"No!"

"Do you have a passport, phone bill etc"

"Yes."

" Ok sign this form and pay for the service you want etc.

So anyway i pay get my modem and think. Ya ######ing beauty. sweet!

Then she says. You can connect in 4 days.

Eh?

So this has been a long long speel. But for the newer people on this forum i just wanted to fill you in. Anyway my question is. "Is this the norm that you have to wait 4 days?" Not too stressed as long as it works in 4 days. Also she said to me if the modem doesnt work then bring it back. Doesnt make you feel good when they say that. I know for a fact that a mate of mine had 4 modems before they worked. Anyone else had any problems? Cheers. Long and winded but i just wanted to tell everyone.

Yep Jockstar, I think the 4 day thing is pretty standard.

They said the same to me when I signed-up, but being the impatient bugger that I am, I connected it all the following day and it worked fine. I think they just say 4 days to give themselves a bit of a cushion before the angry Farang phones up to complain :o

I went for the 256/128 option which is pretty good, except that it often disconects after about 40-60mins. This could be due to the dodgy phonelines in my house, but is not as big a bother as when the dial-up used to keep crashing, as it only takes 5secs to get connected again.

Good luck!

Rags

Yep Jockstar, I think the 4 day thing is pretty standard.ย 

They said the same to me when I signed-up, but being the impatient bugger that I am, I connected it all the following day and it worked fine.ย  I think they just say 4 days to give themselves a bit of a cushion before the angry Farang phones up to complainย  :o

I went for the 256/128 option which is pretty good, except that it often disconects after about 40-60mins.ย  This could be due to the dodgy phonelines in my house, but is not as big a bother as when the dial-up used to keep crashing, as it only takes 5secs to get connected again.

Good luck!

Rags

I thought that broadband was always connected. Or am i wrong? ######ed if know i just thought that was the way it was.

I thought that broadband was always connected. Or am i wrong? ######ed if know i just thought that was the way it was.

Well, it's supposed to be always connected. But, sometimes the modems get out of synch and getting synched up again takes a few seconds. If the line quality is bad (noisy or weak signal strength) it can take longer.

And, some ISP's deliberately disconnect periodically.

I've got service through ISSP on a TT&T line and have never (in the three months I've had it) seen it disconnect; but I have pretty good signal strength and line quality.

So, YMMV.

Yep Jockstar, I think the 4 day thing is pretty standard.ย 

They said the same to me when I signed-up, but being the impatient bugger that I am, I connected it all the following day and it worked fine.ย  I think they just say 4 days to give themselves a bit of a cushion before the angry Farang phones up to complainย  :D

I went for the 256/128 option which is pretty good, except that it often disconects after about 40-60mins.ย  This could be due to the dodgy phonelines in my house, but is not as big a bother as when the dial-up used to keep crashing, as it only takes 5secs to get connected again.

Good luck!

Rags

As buadhai mentioned it is certainly meant to be connected for all of the time that it is switched on. However I think that the line quality in my house is probably to blame, particularly as the telephone lines are connected with masking tape.... :o

To be honest it is not a big problem for me at present for simple internet use, but if I was to start downloading movies and the like, I could see myself getting pretty pissed off. It may then be some time for a bit of DIY :D

Rags

I had line quality problems with my ADSL when I lived on Saipan. The phone company said it was "inside wiring" and my responsibility. I had the really crappy wiring job in my apartment replaced with Cat 5 Ethernet cable from the phone company demarc to the phone jack. That eliminated the problem and we had a great connection after that.

So, it may be worth your while to start out replacing the "inside" wiring. Remember that with ADSL you want real twisted pair wire and not the flat cable that is sometimes fashionable. (This applies to the cable between the phone jack and the modem as well.)

Article on Cable to use for ADSL

Another Article on Data Cable

Edited to add second article.

Edited by buadhai

The "always on" thing is a bit misleading. What's "always on" is the signal that runs from the DSLAM at the CO to your phone line. It's there even when you don't have a modem connected, hence, it's "always on". Sort of like saying that saying that your TV's "always on" since there's always a signal being broadcast. In rare instances (line quality is really bad, construction, power outages) the signal gets interrupted. You will see it as your modem blinking as it tries to re-sync.

Of course there's more to it than just the aforementioned signal. You could attach your modem to it and turn your computer on, and the modem would sync with the DSLAM. Great. But you can't use the internet. In order to actually get any use from the line, you have to login, and once you login, you get an IP address, and you can start surfing. The ISP can deny your login (didn't pay the bill? RADIUS server down/unreachable?) or disconnect your login after 24 hours (True's retarded policy). The ADSL signal is not affected, but your surfing is.

So, "always on" doesn't mean "can always be used without interruption". It's just marketing's way of using technical mumbo jumbo and fine print to bring in customers.

Hi,

yes on day number 4 the engineer comes, he need a copy of your workpermit and turn it on for you.

hahahahaha :o

no forget it, thats just a joke and NOT TRUE!

For me it also needed 4 days, thats normal.

Ok. Firstly lets go back a few months. Well at least 4-5. I went to True at Fortune Town with the missus. Passport with me and bill from my direct line(its not in my name). So i say"Can i sign up?"

" Yes!"

Ok you get the message. I asked the manager at my apartments and she not very forthcoming. So I resign myself to the fact i aint gonna get it.

Untill recently i've been talking to 2 people i work with and they live in apartments. They got it no probs. No need to show ID cards of owners. Their lines arent in their names either. So i thought. I'll try again but i wont take the missus. So i get there. They find me someone who speaks English.

"Yes sir can i help-?"

"No!"

"Yes."

Eh?

So this has been a long long speel. But for the newer people on this forum i just wanted to fill you in. Anyway my question is. "Is this the norm that you have to wait 4 days?" Not too stressed as long as it works in 4 days. Also she said to me if the modem doesnt work then bring it back. Doesnt make you feel good when they say that. I know for a fact that a mate of mine had 4 modems before they worked. Anyone else had any problems? Cheers. Long and winded but i just wanted to tell everyone.

Hi,

yes on day number 4 the engineer comes, he need a copy of your workpermit and turn it on for you.

" Yes!"

"Yes sir can i help-?"

"No!"

"Yes."

Eh?

When they asked do you have work permit. My reply was. Not yet its coming. Well it is just dont know when. :D:D

no yet is bad.

Yes I do have one soon.

And as this might make him and his boss a lot of work, you give him 1000 THB so he can invite his boss to a lunch, to make his feeling better.

This sentence with 1000 THB: I really heared that sentence, my wife told it once to a bank officer and it worked.

Much fun with your super fast internet!

Hi,

" Yes!"

"Yes sir can i help-?"

"No!"

"Yes."

Eh?

When they asked do you have work permit. My reply was. Not yet its coming. Well it is just dont know when. :D:D

no yet is bad.

Yes I do have one soon.

And as this might make him and his boss a lot of work, you give him 1000 THB so he can invite his boss to a lunch, to make his feeling better.

This sentence with 1000 THB: I really heared that sentence, my wife told it once to a bank officer and it worked.

Hi,

" Yes!"

"Yes sir can i help-?"

"No!"

"Yes."

Eh?

Its not always that easy. But i'm Scottish and i can bulllshit with the best of them. :D

" Yes!"

"Yes sir can i help-?"

"No!"

"Yes."

Eh?

i had mine done with an expired ozzy drivers licence :D

but then they have a copy of my passport for the landline :D

old one though :o

Edited by kreon

Jock: I met a few Scottish and mate sorry to tell you, these I met, very really nice and honest people, so no chance to get some advantages in Thailand.

no yet is bad.

Yes I do have one soon.

Hi,

" Yes!"

"Yes sir can i help-?"

"No!"

"Yes."

Eh?

Its not always that easy. But i'm Scottish and i can bulllshit with the best of them. :D

well, true must be doing another big push for customers, because they offered it to me where as in the past they said they couldn't connect me, due to the fact i was out of their range. so they connected another guy in the "village", and he hasn't been able to connect yet for two weeks. so, not too good of a first impression. but they said things will be better next month.? so now i can decide betweeen a crappy TOT adsl, or maybe crappier True adsl. thing is you have to sign a one year contract with true, whereas tot is month to month.

I had line quality problems with my ADSL when I lived on Saipan. The phone company said it was "inside wiring" and my responsibility. I had the really crappy wiring job in my apartment replaced with Cat 5 Ethernet cable from the phone company demarc to the phone jack. That eliminated the problem and we had a great connection after that.

So, it may be worth your while to start out replacing the "inside" wiring. Remember that with ADSL you want real twisted pair wire and not the flat cable that is sometimes fashionable. (This applies to the cable between the phone jack and the modem as well.)

Article on Cable to use for ADSL

Another Article on Data Cable

Edited to add second article.

An easier way is to disconnect all inside lines at the outside lightning box and tie like colored wires together (if more than a pair). Then run a new cable from box to your splitter/filter (computer). You then plug the filter phone line to wall socket and have bypassed the house wires for computer but run any number of home phones on one filter.

I forgot bto ask advice about this. When i picked up my modem yesterday. They also gave a me

DFE-528TX

10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet

PCI Adapter.

Do i need this? I have a new PC . Very high specs. Cant be bothered to list as i've listed it so many times. I have 2 LAN conections at the back of my PC. Is this the same? Its the same connection.So do i really need this thing? Cheers in advance.

Forget about the card...

Your lan ports are better qualityย  :o

If I recall you might ecen have a gigabit lan port :D

Just plug the cable in...

Cool. Thats what i thought. So when will i know its connected. Will it be when a light comes on the modem. Or do i have to keep unplugging my dial up modem and reconnecting to the new one. Sorry. But i have no idea.

agree with that below!

Lan Modem, you should see a light that your computer is connected with the DSL modem, but this does not tell you anything about the connection to the internet.

you can keep your dialup modem connected and use it for fax or answering machine.

the rest of the connecting I am not sure my router will be config per html and handles than everything itself, but not sure if there are also other systems.

h90

Forget about the card...

Your lan ports are better qualityย  :o

If I recall you might ecen have a gigabit lan port :D

Just plug the cable in...

Cool. Thats what i thought. So when will i know its connected. Will it be when a light comes on the modem. Or do i have to keep unplugging my dial up modem and reconnecting to the new one. Sorry. But i have no idea.

Got home today and tried connect bvgecause the light was on. No ######ing joy. Tried and tried then i noticed the light was off. Oh! Well maybe tomorrow. Did anyone have any problems when they first hooked up?