Thai Police Arrest Serial Killer

george

Police arrest alleged serial killer

pic-20050629-2307.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai police have arrested a man the claim is the country's first serial killer, saying he has admitted killing four female sex workers after robbing them.

Somkid Phumpuang, 41, was arrested in the north-eastern province of Chaiyaphum, Major General Aswin Kwanmuang, deputy of the national crime investigation bureau, said.

"It's Thailand's first ever serial killer," he said.

"The suspect confessed that he killed four prostitutes after arguing about their payments."

Aswin said Somkid was sexually active and would commit a murder every seven or eight days.

The most recent victim was killed on June 21 in a hotel in north-eastern Buri Ram province.

Somkid was arrested this morning while staying with his wife in Chaiyaphum province.

Police had been following him since the June 21 killing, as he stayed in hotels using his own name.

--AFP 2005-06-29

The latest updates:

Radio Bangkok Breaking News:

Tune in now:

http://www.radiobangkok.net

Obviously none too bright...uses his own name while on his awful killing spree. Congratualtions to the boys in brown for getting their man.

My thoughts and prayers to the victims families and loved ones.

Sounds like more like robery and murder.

Doesn't quite sound like serial killer.

Why?...isn`t four victims enough?

If you read between the lines here, you will understand. What the police found were 4 victims drowned in a bathtub full of milk and covered with cornflakes. It only took 4 murders to figure this out, whereas in the US it usually only takes 1 such event to determine the MO of the perp.

Otis

If you read between the lines here, you will understand. What the police found were 4 victims drowned in a bathtub full of milk and covered with cornflakes. It only took 4 murders to figure this out, whereas in the US it usually only takes 1 such event to determine the MO of the perp.

Otis

Milk and cornflakes.....You must be the only person reading this topic who finds it remotely humerous and you are obviously talking a load of c`rap.

Troll methinks :o

"Thailand first serial killer..."

How old is Thailand again? Are we only counting since the Siam took on the name of Thailand? First serial killer, this must mark the death of Thai culture as we know it. No doubt he was was intoxicated with western beer, and just finished watching a western movie before he took these young ladies lifes.

Not too smart of a fellow, and I hope he gets his just rewards.

<snip>

Someone extremely close to me...knew 2 (as ones dead)...if killing multiple people for fun or profit qualifies one as a serial killer.

btw. How did 2500-3000 people die during the last drug purge-in 90 days?

Plenty of serial killers around in fact.

More Eastern bullshit in the face of all evidence and common sense....

IA

Edit: Inappropriate wording removed

/Admin

Edited by george

Otis

i wouldnt be too sure about 1 in the US ..u might get the cops on ur ass but its not going to be easy catching them..they're gonna kill as they drive to each city, state, or whatever

How many did he have to kill to become serial ? :o

My understanding was that you had to kill 5 people to be a serial killer

According to:

http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/we...s=serial+killer and

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/serial%20killer

Noun

S: (n) serial killer, serial murderer (someone who murders more than three victims one at a time in a relatively short interval)

The Nation update:

‘They wanted too much money’

‘Serial killer’ confesses to murdering four sex workers in cross-country spree

pic-20050629-2307.jpg

Serial killer Somkid Phumpuang, 41,

wanted for the killing of five sex workers

in several provinces,was arrested at a

house in Chaiyaphum's Muang district

where he had been hiding for the past week.

CHAIYAPHUM: -- Police yesterday arrested a suspected serial killer at a house in Chaiyaphum’s Muang district where he had been hiding for the past week.

Somkid Phumpuang, 41, was wanted for the killing of five sex workers in several provinces.

Somkid, who also goes by a number of aliases, admitted to killing four women, allegedly because of arguments over fees for sex.

“I killed them out of anger because sometimes they overcharged and double-charged me after I had sex with them,” he told reporters calmly, according to Associated Press.

“I spent the money that I robbed from them to buy more sex from prostitutes.”

Somkid faces numerous charges of murder and theft, and is in detention pending an investigation and assessment of his psychological state.

After his arrest, Chiang Mai police yesterday suggested that he might have murdered up to six victims because a woman was found murdered at an apartment in the northern province in a manner reminiscent of Somkid’s alleged other crimes.

The suspect was found at the house of a widow who was charmed by Somkid two weeks ago, after they met at a bus terminal.

Somkid claims he killed his victims over disputes about the women’s service fees. However, police have expressed doubts about his motives and will be using psychiatrists to help with their investigations.

“He appears cognisant, but we need the advice of the experts,” said Crime Suppression Division commander Maj-General Winai Thongsong.

According to Somkid, he travelled by train to commit murders in Mukdahan, Lampang, Udon Thani and Buri Ram. When his crimes hit the headlines earlier this month, he hid at his girlfriend’s home.

The suspect yesterday told reporters that he would prefer the death sentence to spending time in jail for his wrongdoings.

Winai said that his division planned to take over Somkid’s case from the various local police stations involved, as he feels that a single investigation of all offences would be tighter than several separate probes. He added that his division would work closely with police in Trang to determine whether Somkid was involved in the murder of traditional Thai masseuse, Patcharee Amatanirand, 39, at a hotel in the southern province.

Meanwhile, Somkid’s uncle, Kling Kingkaew, said that he thought his nephew deserved the death sentence. He said Somkid had always been a hot-tempered troublemaker.

“I will not be sad if he is executed. I would also like to thank the police for arresting him. The arrest will ensure that he won’t be able to kill any more people,” Kling said from his hometown of Nakhon Si Thammarat.

--The Nation 2005-06-30

now don't I just know I need to duck .............................but

The death penalty never solved anything. There is now NO civilised county in the world that still has the death penalty on its statutes.

I abhor this mans crimes (assuming eh IS guilty) as much as the next man but killing him is not an answer. The only countries still applying this kind of solution are neanderthal in he extreme with no respect from their civilised neighbours.

Hes not a serial killer.  He fvcked the girls and just didnt have money to pay them so had to kill them all.

could be, as latest update shown...

The Nation update:

‘They wanted too much money’

‘Serial killer’ confesses to murdering four sex workers in cross-country spree

--The Nation 2005-06-30

The death penalty never solved anything. There is now NO civilised county in the world that still has the death penalty on its statutes.

I abhor this mans crimes (assuming eh IS guilty) as much as the next man but killing him is not an answer. The only countries still applying this kind of solution are neanderthal in he extreme with no respect from their civilised neighbours.

there can be thousand arguments in favour of or against this topic. uncivilised???? :o

Uncivilised?! What countries are you talking about? The death penalty is a serious issue and "civilised" countries weigh the desicion very carefully before sentencing. Too just come out and say that those "countries" are "uncivilised" and "neanderthal" is very disrespectful as well as ignorant. To say that these "countries" can't pass that kind of judgment upon some one who has hurt, killed, and abused the people of that "country" and culture belittles the victims suffering, especialy if their culture demands such punishment. It is not your place to decide who is "uncivilised" from your perch on high. I suggest you argue your point using logic not emotions.

Uncivilised?! What countries are you talking about? The death penalty is a serious issue and "civilised" countries weigh the desicion very carefully before sentencing. Too just come out and say that those "countries" are "uncivilised" and "neanderthal" is very disrespectful as well as ignorant. To say that these "countries" can't pass that kind of judgment upon some one who has hurt, killed, and abused the people of that "country" and culture belittles the victims suffering, especialy if their culture demands such punishment. It is not your place to decide who is "uncivilised" from your perch on high. I suggest you argue your point using logic not emotions.

well said thaibebop, I fully agree with you!