"We Are Guests In This Country"

Tokay

I always conduct myself as such but this statement always bothers me and today it was said to me from a policeman who was trying to give me a ticket for having my bike about 6 inches on the white cross walk on the street (this was a new one for me). Among his other rambling in a sorry attempt to extort money from me, and even though I was speaking to him in Thai, he said to me in English, "you are a guests in my country..." and then continued with the extorting.

For those of us who do live here, can speak the language, read and write, have families and even pay taxes to the Thai government, shouldn't there come a point where we are not just "guests" here?

I live here. I work here. Have a Thai license. I contribute to the local economy. I give to the schools, the blind and several other organizations, as have many of you. But we are too often looked upon as no different than the backpacker passing through.

So the question is, at what point do we stop being "guests" in Thailand? Of course we will never be "Thai" and I don't want to be, but I find it a little rude to always be called a guest. In my home country Thais who come there and do the same thing as I do here, are no longer considered guests and are treated with a little respect.

Is it going for the citizenship that changes that? Somehow I don't think so. I know we're always "falang" and they are always Thai, but when many of you contribute more to Thailand than the majority of the Thais do, at some point you should be given a pass.

Lets me honest, borders are man made. We are all people, most of us on earth, and none of us are really any more or less important than the other in the grand scheme of things. Then if you take into consideration the word "guest" and what it means, then why don't they really treat us as such? You don't cheat guests, you don't rip them off, target them, double charge them, extort them or any other of the things they do to "guests."

This is not a complaint, this is a question. So please spare me with your, "there is a plane leaving every day" comments, which is another statement that really gets under my skin. If I owned this board I would ban people for making such a comment. :blink: :blink: :blink:

Edited by Tokay
  • Like 2

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you say "guests", do you mean that you feel like a "self-invited guest" and not a "guest". In other words, if you're a guest you'd be welcomed, but I get the idea you feel otherwise?

Actually, I came here the first time to work for a company, so I was actually invited and paid to be here. Still paid to be here but have changed companies. By "guests" it is both the statement, "we/you are only guests here" as well as the treatment by some (not all of course) Thais.

I don't think we deserve special treatment, but equal treatment would be nice. I don't need to be reminded by police or anyone else that I'm a guest. I find it a little condescending when this is used.

Can't imagine treating the Thais in my home country in the same manner or reminding them that they are only guests, then making them pay more for something than they should or treat them any differently then I would anyone else.

You know the answer to your own question. The reality is that you were shaken down by a crooked cop that really isn't crooked within the Thai context since such behaviour is encouraged and condoned by the governing authorities. What we see as corruption is acceptable in Thailand, since no one ever takes to the streets and no one is ever charged and convicted etc. This is why Thailand will never advance as a nation. Dishonest practices discourage innovation and sustainable development since the incentive to succeeed is removed. It's all about short term profits. You are a guest in the upside down world, where wrong is right and right is wrong and the people live with it. When a government official, and a police office at that, tells you that you are a guest, take the hint. This is the way it is and there is nothing that you can do about it. if you want to live in Thailand then you have to accept it. You are the house n*gger; Treated a little better than the field slaves, but still a slave and still subject to the abuse and denial of basic civil liberties, because you are not Thai.

You have also paid a visa fee for the 'right' to request entry to the Kingdom.

This can, of course, be denied (or revoked) at any time.

If the BiB want us to act like 'guests' then maybe they could start by acting more like hosts, rather than modern day highwaymen.

Never think of yourself as a guest in Thailand as it will drive you nuts when you begin to wonder why so many are being taken advantage of.

If you think of yourself as a host supporting all the various parasitic activity going around, then at least you will be ready.

TheWalkingMan

When you say "guests", do you mean that you feel like a "self-invited guest" and not a "guest". In other words, if you're a guest you'd be welcomed, but I get the idea you feel otherwise?

Actually, I came here the first time to work for a company, so I was actually invited and paid to be here. Still paid to be here but have changed companies. By "guests" it is both the statement, "we/you are only guests here" as well as the treatment by some (not all of course) Thais.

I don't think we deserve special treatment, but equal treatment would be nice. I don't need to be reminded by police or anyone else that I'm a guest. I find it a little condescending when this is used.

Can't imagine treating the Thais in my home country in the same manner or reminding them that they are only guests, then making them pay more for something than they should or treat them any differently then I would anyone else.

I think we are treated equally. The Thais get ripped off as well. Probably more than us!

I think he is talking about the bib and highway robbery,I've been stopped for being in the out side lane on number one highway for to long (?) the inside lane was absolute <deleted>, the answer from my wife is they are hungry.

dont really know what your moaning for in uk i have recieved 3 points and a fine for doing this another pointless whinge me thinks.............

Nonsense. In the UK you would not have committed an offense by have your bike 2 feet over a white line.

dont really know what your moaning for in uk i have recieved 3 points and a fine for doing this another pointless whinge me thinks.............

Nonsense. In the UK you would not have committed an offense by have your bike 2 feet over a white line.

really park on the white zig zag lines approaching a zebra crossing then and see what happens 3 points and fined

also got three points and fined for having a loose chain on motorbike and you think bib are bad london police just the same

Edited by taninthai

really park on the white zig zag lines approaching a zebra crossing then and see what happens 3 points and fined

also got three points and fined for having a loose chain on motorbike and you think bib are bad london police just the same

If you have been parking on zig zag lines by a Zebra crossing, you should have been fined and publicly flogged.

Really. You would have to be a bit of a tw4t to park like that .:)

The OP was 6 inches over a "white walk line" - blatant tea money extraction, not a winge.

Edited by cardholder

Ok the OP is not really griping about the police. He is asking when we stop being 'Guests' here in Thailand. I do uderstand what he says. I have a Thai friend who lives in the UK he has a Thai restuarant. He pays taxes etc. And nobody says 'you are ony a guest here'

I work here. pay taxes, work permit, truck, motorcycle ect. and still sometimes people that should know better suggest that i'm just a guest here.

I believe its just a misunderstanding between the English/Thai translation.

But I'm not a tourist. I live here i do not live in the UK therefore the same as my Thai friend in the UK. I'm not a guest here in Thailand.

• Like 2

thats only if your a citizen or national of the u.k.

if your a guest/ free loader you usually get away with it scott freewink.gif

You were a victim of a raciest Thai police man, but that's Thailand the land of smiles, You should just except that its Thailand or don't live there. ++++++++++++++++++++`----We in Britain , or most of us have a sense of fair play, Some thing that Thailand does not understand , it just does not translate in Thai.As for the London police the finest in the world would probably have back up in the form of videos if in London, I have never had any problem with any police in the UK, Thailand is corrupt and most Ex pats and people know it , Falang equal baht.

Really. You would have to be a bit of a tw4t to park like that .:)

The OP was 6 inches over a "white walk line" - blatant tea money extraction, not a winge.

yeah well we all make mistakes

rather pay bit off t money than court hearing points and fine

you know how thailand works dont like it then see yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I think he is talking about the bib and highway robbery,I've been stopped for being in the out side lane on number one highway for to long (?) the inside lane was absolute <deleted>, the answer from my wife is they are hungry.

as a car driver, i hate when motorcyclists drive in the right lane. stay where you belong or purchase a car.

Ok the OP is not really griping about the police. He is asking when we stop being 'Guests' here in Thailand. I do uderstand what he says. I have a Thai friend who lives in the UK he has a Thai restuarant. He pays taxes etc. And nobody says 'you are ony a guest here'

I work here. pay taxes, work permit, truck, motorcycle ect. and still sometimes people that should know better suggest that i'm just a guest here.

I believe its just a misunderstanding between the English/Thai translation.

But I'm not a tourist. I live here i do not live in the UK therefore the same as my Thai friend in the UK. I'm not a guest here in Thailand.

I think we are now talking about the main point of distinction.

I can understand how a tourist/temporary visitor is regarded as a 'guest'.

Once we progress to part-time or full time living in Thailand we consider ourselves to be 'resident' (forget the legal or Inland Revenue definitions, I am talking about where we call 'home'). I spend 8 months a year in Thailand, it feels like home and I call it home. I do not consider myslef to be a guest.

One final point; the term guest can have two obvious interpretations and applications:-

1. many times I have experienced "You are a welcome guest in our country"

2. But for the OP's experience - "You are ONLY a guest in our country"

OP says:

"Then if you take into consideration the word "guest" and what it means, then why don't they really treat us as such? You don't cheat guests, you don't rip them off, target them, double charge them, extort them or any other of the things they do to "guests."

Does he think Thais are treated any differently? They get it worse!

geriatric is on the money.

The cop (possibly way down in the social order) was giving his best retort to a white man that could speak Thai. You probably irked him by doing so and may have been better off ignoring him with no Thai. On the guest thing, don't take it personally - it's an almost alien level of perception and a thinking that is several generations out of sync. As much as this type of thing may make your blood boil, it really is just best not take it too seriously.