Thai D/l For Thai National W/ Idp

I just thought I'd report that my Thai GF, who had a D/L from the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (a US territory that includes the island of Saipan) and an International Driving Permit (IDP), was able to get a Thai D/L without having to take the written or driving exams. All she had to do was take the color blindness, peripheral vision, depth perception and reaction time tests; same as me.

This was in Korat.

I just thought I'd report that my Thai GF, who had a D/L from the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (a US territory that includes the island of Saipan) and an International Driving Permit (IDP), was able to get a Thai D/L without having to take the written or driving exams. All she had to do was take the color blindness, peripheral vision, depth perception and reaction time tests; same as me.

This was in Korat.

I assume her IDP was issued by an agency authorized by the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands...I am curious, what does the 1949 treaty say about US territories....maybe AAA or some local appointed agent?

US Territories are considered to be a part the US for driver's license purposes. Our IDP's were issued by AAA.

I hope that by now....after everyone has discussed this topic....that everybody knows that in order to drive legally in Thailand the driver needs to have a driving license from his of her own issuing state AND an IDP that is issued by an agency appointed by the issuing state of his or her national driving license. AND, if they are going to spend any considerable time in Thailand they have to get a Thai driving license. The details of how to get a Thai driving license are found in various parts of this forum.

IMPORTANT: An International Drivers License sold over the Internet that is not in conformity with the 1949 Convention is not valid anywhere. It may fool some of the police some of the time but it will not fool the insurance companies if you have an accident that results in anything other than tiny claims.

Edited by corkscrew

US Territories are considered to be a part the US for driver's license purposes. Our IDP's were issued by AAA.

I hope that by now....after everyone has discussed this topic....that everybody knows that in order to drive legally in Thailand the driver needs to have a driving license from his of her own issuing state AND an IDP that is issued by an agency appointed by the issuing state of his or her national driving license. AND, if they are going to spend any considerable time in Thailand they have to get a Thai driving license. The details of how to get a Thai driving license are found in various parts of this forum.

IMPORTANT: An International Drivers License sold over the Internet that is not in conformity with the 1949 Convention is not valid anywhere. It may fool some of the police some of the time but it will not fool the insurance companies if you have an accident that results in anything other than tiny claims.

Nah mate, I'll give it 'till monday for some wasock who can't use the search function to ask all over again :o

Such is life :D:D