Hard Disk Problems

Uncle_Ho

I woke up today and one of my hard disk in my computer which has 2 partitions is not visible. I restarted the computer just in case but it did not help either. I went to the computer management tool and to the disk management and saw that my hardisk says

"189.92 gb Unallocated - Not initialized" .....<deleted> ? All my music and my television series are in that hardisk ...

I tried to initialize it but nothing is working ...

Does that mean my harddisk is gone ? What should i do ? Any suggestions ?

Is it possible this is the work of a hacker(s) .. because i on my computer for 24 hours and it has the internet connections on all the time...but i have a firewall installed though...

its not been a good day really ... PLEASE HELP ..

Cheers.

I woke up today and one of my hard disk in my computer which has 2 partitions is not visible. I restarted the computer just in case but it did not help either. I went to the computer management tool and to the disk management and saw that my hardisk says

"189.92 gb Unallocated - Not initialized" .....<deleted> ? All my music and my television series are in that hardisk ...

Does that mean my harddisk is gone ? What should i do ? Any suggestions ?

Is it possible this is the work of a hacker(s) .. because i on my computer for 24 hours and it has the internet connections on all the time...but i have a firewall installed though...

its not been a good day really ... PLEASE HELP ..

Cheers.

:o:D

I make a backup now, you make me afraid......

hardisk says

When it says "189.92 gb Unallocated - Not initialized" that means partition gone. Still some data recovery tools can bring them in.

"I tried to initialize it but nothing is working " Hope you've not formatted after initializing. Though you shouldn't have done this step. It leaves less hope for Data Recovery tools.

If you plan to take the hard-disk to so called Expert, make sure that u take backup of all other files first.

Good Luck

---------------------

1) Always update your Anti-Virus (Norton is one of the best),

2) use firewall like Zonealarm

3) Keep the Windows thing updated by clicking the Windows Update link once a fortnight.

4) Use good browser like FireFox ( www.mozilla.org ) which is much much secured than IE

"I tried to initialize it but nothing is working " Hope you've not formatted after initializing. Though you shouldn't have done this step. It leaves less hope for Data Recovery tools.

I already formatted the hard drive .. my oh my .. i will try though .. thanks for all the suggestions ..

I already formatted the hard drive .. my oh my .. i will try though .. thanks for all the suggestions ..

doh, well you'll have little chance of recovering data intact now. I just had a 160gb drive die, was using for MP3 and had 100gb. I'm comming over to thailand for the month though so it hasnt bothered me much. Cant imagine how im going to replace all that music though.

sorry for you!

But see if that way: now you have plenty space for new movies!

If you join the Expat Hub in Thailand it is full again very fast!

Hi

Once it happened with one of my friend. He send his staff to a site, where he is supposed to backup, but instead he formatted the HDD. My friend asked my help, so I told him to use EZ Recovery. You can download this software for free, but if you cannot find the software, you can contact me. :D

BTW, i got few mouse trapped on my roof, and they are trapped in the glue. :o

If I were you I'd be heading directly to Tukcom or Pantip and plonk down 100 baht for a CD called "Utilities & Recovery".

It's got a bunch of tools on it just for occasions like these - - "Powerquest Recovery Central", "Undelete Professional Edition", "Executive Undelete Professional Edition" etc.

I remember one time that CD got me a US$100 tip after I saved some guys emails once - took me all of 20 minutes...

"189.92 gb Unallocated - Not initialized" .....

[i just had a 160gb drive die,

The size of these drive indicate they were not so old - how common is it for these newer drives to fail , and what are the main causes?

Unfortunately i've experienced multiple hard drive failures over the years. Whilst the 160 gb may have seemed relatively new, its even a SATA drive not IDE yet its about a year or more old. Im still suprised it died so fast however im pretty sure i was having power issues relating to the SATA.

In the same PC i have an 80gb that is at least 2/3 years old and its running fine. I wouldnt say its common for a new drive to just fail. I wish i had more time to find out about requesting an RMA etc...

hi'

my 2cts here ...

sata runs at a higher temp than ide ... 55c is not unusual :D

specialy if two hdd are set in a small space, only hot air running in between ..

I remember to be obliged to open the case because of temp alert on the disk, and within 5sec it was ok ...

you can reach over 60c easily, for a better and longer lifetime, a sata has to be cooled, and doesn't need anything fancy, just add a padd with one or two fan, attached it to the hdd and slot it back(may be have to remove the metalic rails, and then you go down to a "normal" 40c and max 45 in full load :o

and put one more fan to get some fresh air in the case from the bottom of the case, an 80mm will do... and why not an optional extra fan to push hot air out ...

francois