Daughter Vows To Safeguard Thai General Khattiya's Legacies

webfact

Daughter vows to safeguard Khattiya's legacies

By Budsarakham Sinlapalavan,

Kornchanok Raksaseri

The Nation

gallery_327_1086_20599.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The storm has just passed over her life, and life is slowly returning to normal for Khattiya Sawatdiphol. However, the 29-year-old legal adviser knows well that after the death of her father Maj-General Khattiya, better known as Seh Daeng, on May 17, her life will never be the same.

For the rest of her life, she will take care of and nurture the three things her father left for her. The first is the copyright to his book series, "Kom She Daeng". He always told people he would pass on the copyright to Khattiya, whom he affectionately called "Nong Dear".

She said firmly she would never sell nor give the copyright to anyone else. Her father personally handed her the CDs of the books while she was studying in the US and told her to keep it as something valuable that can help her when he is gone.

The second thing is the Khatiyatham Party, the political party he founded.

Although Seh Daeng, in the final stage of his life, took on the role of security supervisor of the anti-government red-shirt protesters, Nong Dear declined an invitation to join the opposition Pheu Thai Party.

"He had reasons for launching this party. And I must continue what he intended to do," she said.

The Khatiyatham Party's policies include separating investigation from police work and strengthening Thailand's military forces.

The third legacy from her father is his "mass" of supporters. She was astonished by how many people have faith in her father. They have also supported her mentally so far.

"Major-General Khattiya's masses are now Miss Khattiya's masses," said the daughter, whose name in English is spelled exactly the same way as her father.

"I was so glad to see more than 10,000 people coming to join the royally sponsored cremation of my father. He was neither a prime minister nor a minister. He was just a soldier with a major-general rank, and yet so many people joined the ceremony. I believe that was the result of the contributions he made," Khattiya said.

It was clear to his supporters that her father was sincere about helping out the grassroots people.

It was only a few months ago that she realised how much her father was adored.

"He told me I was not aware how people queued up for four or five hours to get his autograph. At that time, I wondered whether he was being too proud of himself," she said. But one day in April, when the Skytrain was out of service, she walked from her office in Sukhumvit's Asoke area to see her father at the Sala Daeng rally site.

"I saw people waiting in a very long line. I thought they were there for some free goodies. But at the front of the line I saw my father signing autographs for them. That showed me see how much the people loved him," she said.

As her face is becoming more recognisable in public, many strangers are greeting her and offering her encouragement.

"One day around the Rajprasong intersection, while red-shirt vendors were spreading news to friends I was there. A woman vendor came up to me and said, 'I'm not a red shirt but a yellow shirt. But I want to tell you to be strong'," she said.

"Honestly, when my father died I lost the will to do anything. I don't know whom I can share my happiness with when I do something good. When my mother died [from cancer six years ago] I still had my father. I studied hard so he could share in my success," she said.

But she is stronger now and knows what she has to live for.

Besides her father's masses, her boyfriend and her friends, her elder half-sister Kittiya or "Kae" gives her huge support and is the one she regularly talks to. The mobile phone remains the channel that they use to share daily experiences and discuss issues just like they used to do with their father.

However, the emergence of Nak-rob Sawasdipol or "Daeng Noi" (Little Daeng), a five-year-old boy claiming to be Seh Daeng's son, was a surprise. Khattiya had never told her she had a brother. And Seh Daeng's cremation was the only day she saw the boy

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-11

Some legacy violence and destruction. Yes in a nation of 66,000,000 you are going to find a lot of people subscribing to that way of life. There will always be those who want complete control if they can't get it kill and destroy.

Khattiya had never told her she had a brother.

Makes one wonder what other significant aspects he also didn't discuss with the naive young woman.

Does that really matter? It is gossip talk for aunties and should not be the business of the news media.

I am neither red nor yellow, although I do support government over anarchy.

I don't know what the truth is about Seh Deang (sp?).

Who really knows the truth about what the guy did and what his intentions were?

Also - who really knows the intentions of his daughter. She doesn't appear to be particularly pro-red and has turned down an offer to join PT.

Time will tell of course, I suspect this lady will bring some surprises.

Khattiya had never told her she had a brother.

Makes one wonder what other significant aspects he also didn't discuss with the naive young woman.

What a good man. 55555. If she fallows in his footsteps sadness will follow her through life.