Spouse Rights Change In Eu?

pauleddy

I just had an email from a (normally reliable) friend in Spain.

He says that the EU countries are now obliged to give equality and right of entry to the (non-EU) partner of an EU national heading anywhere in the EU---even if no civil ceremony can be shown because the previous COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE did not allow same-sex ceremonies. As a medium/long term partner (?) the "spouse" can accompany the EU citizen without problems.

I may have misunderstood--and/or explained this poorly, although my friend says that it is important new legislation and is not yet common knowledge.

Could one of our erudite legal brains clarify?

Thanks

PaulEddy

Edited by pauleddy

This is great news you may not have heard of, but good to know...Good going EU! Now if the US will only catch up?!

...an EU Directive covering freedom of movement recognises same-sex relationships by allowing a worker’s family to travel with him or her to another member state, whether or not that family derives from a legal marriage in the origin country. People who are in a formally recognised union, like a civil union or partnership, qualify as family members along with either partner’s children, and so do those who have been living as partners for a significant amount of time but do not have the option of legal marriage.

• 2 weeks later...

This is great news you may not have heard of, but good to know...Good going EU! Now if the US will only catch up?!

...an EU Directive covering freedom of movement recognises same-sex relationships by allowing a worker's family to travel with him or her to another member state, whether or not that family derives from a legal marriage in the origin country. People who are in a formally recognised union, like a civil union or partnership, qualify as family members along with either partner's children, and so do those who have been living as partners for a significant amount of time but do not have the option of legal marriage.

I have not heard of this and will believe it when I see the directive. Then I will check with the embassy whether this applies for Thailand and if so, how do they want to determine whether your boyfy is your family or you just met him last night in a bar?