This They Had A Go At Me At Mae Sai Today

Hey guys,

Entered Thailand In Jan this year on a multi-entry Education visa from England. Was given a 3 month stamp in Bangkok airport, then extended it at Chiang Mai immi 3 months ago no problem. Did my 90 reporting when i had too as well, but the extension expired today so made my way to mae sai for a 2 week add on (flight home in a few weeks).

When i went back into Thailand, after crossing over at Mae Sai today, i was given a bit of a telling off in Thai, and i can't figure out where i went wrong! The guy looked at my initial Education visa page, and commented that it expires in November this year (actually it was the validity period as i got it last november). I showed him the stamps to say i had extended it, and it was expired now. He passed it around a few guys and one of the guys in there told me i needed to put the Visa number on my entry form. I told him the visa had expired, then he gave me a blank stare, and pointed his finger at me, and told me i only get 15 days! I was like "Ok thanks" with big smiles (didnt feel like getting sent back in Burma) and went on my way. I now have the 15days which is what i thought i was entitled to anyway, but did i do anything wrong here?

My 15 day free stamp also was stamped WALK on top of it which i have never had before at Mae Sai, is that normal? (last Mae Sai trip was 2 years ago)

No worries as i got what i was after, just wanted to know if i made a mistake that i can eliminate for the future.

Cheers!

What exactly did you do when you extended at Chiang Mai immigration?

As far as I'm aware, an unlimited non-imm ED visa gives you unlimited 90 day entries to Thailand for a year from date of issue. You could have re-entered on your visa for another 90 days, but the 90 day extension in Chiang Mai confuses me.

Like many people before you, you are confused about visa and permission to stay. What does the visa expiration date mean?

The visa, which you received from a Thai consulate, allows you to travel to Thailand until one day before the "use before" date stamped on the visa. This is the validity of the visa. Because your visa is valid for multiple entries, ie an unlimited number of trips to Thailand, and expires only in November 2010, you could have used it for your entry at Mae Sai if you had followed the immigration officer's advice to write the visa number on the arrival card.

On arrival in Thailand, you received a permission to stay for a certain period, ie until the "until" date stamped in your passport. You must leave Thailand not later than this date, unless you receive an extension of stay from an immigration office. Contrary to what you argued with the immigration officer, your extension of stay was not a visa extension.

Next time you use your visa for a new entry into Thailand you will not be extending your visa and you will not be extending your permission to stay. You will receive a new permission to stay.

Ergo, it was not the immigration officer who had a go at you, it was you who had a go at him.

--

Maestro