Web Based Email

thainet

Hear this question a lot but can't seem to see a thread on it.

I have my local POP3 email acct, but with 3G, GPRS and much better Internet speeds these days (ie: 3bb) I am to open a web based email acct. So my question is to solicit comments (good and bad) on GMAIL (which seems the most popular), Hotmail (which seems to be getting better) and others such as Rocketmail, Yahoo etc etc before making my decision.

Thanks.....

You can use Yahoo and Gmail as pop mail also, check the websites they will tell you how, hotmail can be used with Outlook. Web mail is a pain to use compared to using your own pop mail program.

You can use Yahoo and Gmail as pop mail also, check the websites they will tell you how, hotmail can be used with Outlook. Web mail is a pain to use compared to using your own pop mail program.

I strongly disagree. I have used Gmail webmail for years and couldn't imagine not having the freedom to read my mail through any browser. Search instantly find me any mail I look for. Of course if you're restricted to a dial-up access you might be frustrated by the speed of the line but with any ADSL line it's as fast as using a pop mail program.

Probably mainly depends on what you're used to.

I have used Gmail for many years and been happy with it, but I primarily use the Gmail POP3 feature with Outlook to receive/send mail. I occasionally log onto my Gmail accounts and read/send via their web based interface, but personally I find the web based interface a little painful for various reasons as compared to just using a POP3 connection. A web based interface is a definite plus and OK for that quick read/send of email when you are not at your home computer, you are traveling, etc. I also have a Yahoo account that I rarely use as I like Gmail better.

Gmail is light years ahead of the competition. The archive is invaluable and the spam filtering is great, as others have said. For $10 you can also use it with your own domain, and if you end up buying an Android phone it integrates beautifully.

Another vote for Gmail, & you can easily tie into POP... (I managed to do it, so it quite easy...!!! although I don't use it, admittedly).

I've used on several browers, currently Firefox, but also Safari, & IE, no problems

Yahoo has too many annoying pop ups, Hotmail I find annoying, it's too cluttered....... :annoyed:

Sometimes a case of what you get use too....

Gmail's spam filtering is enough of a reason to use it.

I support canadian vic's observation with regard to the spam filtering; I've had hotmail, yahoo and gmail accounts for years now and gmail is tops especially for ease of handling received and sent messages...useta haveta archive every outgoing message on a WORD backup with hotmail and yahoo before sending as it would be lost otherwise after sending...both hotmail and yahoo have now incorporated a 'sent messages' feature that gmail always had...

Edited by tutsiwarrior