Changing Ed Visa To Retirement

Hi Guys,

Has anyone had experience changing from an ED visa to a retirement visa? My wife and I, both Australians, are in our second year on an ED Visa and have decided we want to live here long term. A couple of questions:

1. Can we convert from an ED to a retirement visa without leaving Thailand?

2. Are there any links we can go to to find out the procedure?

I checked the immi site but couldn't find anything specific to our situation.

Kind Regards,

Richard

Also are you each going to obtain a retirement extension of stay or just use one and the other obtains a dependent extension of stay? Procedures and financial requirements would be different (only one needs to meet for dependent option).

Also are you each going to obtain a retirement extension of stay or just use one and the other obtains a dependent extension of stay? Procedures and financial requirements would be different (only one needs to meet for dependent option).

Hi Lopburi,

I will be applying for the visa with my wife and child as dependents.

Kind Regards,

R

You need to take action first. You are over age 50? That will be your extension of stay for one year. Once you have that wife/child can obtain non immigrant O visas with proof of your extension of stay and then extend. Child can only use this to age 20 and must be living with you and wife.

You need to take action first. You are over age 50? That will be your extension of stay for one year. Once you have that wife/child can obtain non immigrant O visas with proof of your extension of stay and then extend. Child can only use this to age 20 and must be living with you and wife.

Thanks Lopburi,

Yes- I'm well past 50! I'm assuming from Mario's post that the extension of stay can only be obtained outside of Thailand? Our child is 5-weeks old.

R

FWIW; when I had an ED visa and tried to convert it to a Non-Immigrant Type O based on retirement the immigrations officer at Suan Plu told me I couldn't do it :( . I didn't believe him and went 'further up the food chain' :o , but was still told I couldn't do it inside the country.

I ended up going to Vientiane Lao PDR and obtaining a single entry Non-O visa based on retirement. Then when there was about a month left on it I went to Suan Plu and applied for the yearly extension of stay. :)