Best Location In Asia For Offshore Oil Worker With Kids

jellymeister

Any ideas on best overall location?

Including housings, livng costs, quality housing safety, local international school costs....

Thailand seems too expensive(especially schooling at international level) and dangerous but Malaysia seems to be a viable alternative?

Probably best where your kids have family, if possible (Thai in Thailand etc.).

International schools average around 600k ($20,000) per child over school ages. Other countries are unlikely to be less.

Where are your kids from ?

A few years back I read that the best place to raise kids in Asia was Singapore. The article quoted the safety, the quality schools, the international atmosphere etc. If I had kids and needed to be in Asia I would consider Singapore at the top of the list as the most important thing would be for me to give the kids the best chance for their future.

TheWalkingMan

I have a few friends who have done this and they were not impressed with KL nor Malaysia. They live here in Pattaya now. Our village is about 1/2 full with oil/gas workers! The international school vans are here every morning picking up the kids.

We live south of Pattaya towards Sattahip. You might want to come check out this area. Close enough to Pattaya for shopping, but far enough way from the craziness...

This one is easy...Pattaya for sure...abundant housing options, same with restos, lots of nitelife for when you want to step-out on the wiffey...and many good schools for the rug-rats. Also, international airport 1.5 hours up the road...fine hospitals...lots of other foreigners for you and wiffey and kids to hang with...lots of other stuff I forgot as well...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. I am in the process of moving back to Thailand. I work offshore around Asia and want to set up base in Thailand again. It's been a few years since I have been here. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of complexes or apartments that they would recommend. I have a wife and young child, so obviously want it be secure and have good local amenities. I want to be south of Bangkok so Rayong, Chonburi, Pattaya etc..... Suggestions please.

Edited by thaiphoon
Font size reduced for better reading

Thanks for feedback....finally decided on Singapore when all factors considered.....leaving shortly....good luck to all!

Hello. Good luck with the move, I have been lucky enough to have been working/living here in Singapore for about 8 years now.

Have two kids in school here.

http://www.guidemesingapore.com/

Check this web site out for info.

My vote would be for Singapore.

As for you looking here in Thailand. Maybe Hua Hin? I don't think the east coast is very nice although you might have a look at Ban Sare north of Sattahip. Lovely village getting ready to take off.

No International school in HH, or even remotely close, as far as i'm aware.

The OP opted for Singapore. Must mean he has loadsa cash no? There's no debate that the schools are better and infrastructure is second to none and the shopping is great (for those that rate shopping) but I worked there in the mid 90's and after a month, I was bored sh!tless. There's wasn't a lot of diversity and no matter where you went, everyone else was there already!

When I said Pattaya, that takes in Ban Chang which has been alluded to in earlier posts. Ban Sare is nice but doomed to become South Jomtien. There's some nice places on the other side of Rayong though.

Not sure this comparison is so simple. For cheap goods, flea market style shopping, local street food, friendly people, etc Thailand wins hands down. For international standard goods, services, (based on quality/value), Singapore might beat Thailand in many areas. For education, safety, security, political stability, lack of crime, general infrastructure, Singapore is better, especially if there are children to consider. Personally, I would not want to live there as it seems too insular, but it may be suitable for some.

Thailand seems too expensive (especially schooling at international level)

Thailand is too expensive so the OP chooses Singapore?

Strange logic.

• 2 weeks later...

As for you looking here in Thailand. Maybe Hua Hin? I don't think the east coast is very nice although you might have a look at Ban Sare north of Sattahip. Lovely village getting ready to take off.

I second that vote for Singapore, would have been my first choice but we chose Phuket to reside. Good schools much better than Bangkok, they mostly follow the british ciriculum here. My 2 are in a kindergarten run by a Mancurian and his thai wife and they are doing great; my oldest will be moving up to HeadStart once I'm happy we've got all of Sarasas schooling out of here and she is ready to tackle the proper schooling.

I hate to say but although Hua Hin is a great place to be (visited many times whilst living in BKK) the schools there are not very good. Read to many negative comments about them all there on a forum for Hua Hin.

Also we lived in KL and Cuckai for a while and we were not impressed with the places at all. KL is fine if you want your kids all to speak with American accents (no offence meant to our US cousins) but it used to make me laugh when we were out with frinds from Aberdeen and their kids sitting there yacking away with strong american accents which they picked up from the school.

Best of luck

Edited by ScottishThai

A few years back I read that the best place to raise kids in Asia was Singapore. The article quoted the safety, the quality schools, the international atmosphere etc. If I had kids and needed to be in Asia I would consider Singapore at the top of the list as the most important thing would be for me to give the kids the best chance for their future.

if op thinks thailand is expensive ,

then singapore is way over the top.

i would agree , with safety in singapore ,

and you rarely see a police officer ,

until ,,,

Occhhh wee laddie……the irony of a Scotsman complaining about another's accent will not be lost on some .….

I second that vote for Singapore, would have been my first choice but we chose Phuket to reside. Good schools much better than Bangkok, they mostly follow the british ciriculum here. My 2 are in a kindergarten run by a Mancurian and his thai wife and they are doing great; my oldest will be moving up to HeadStart once I'm happy we've got all of Sarasas schooling out of here and she is ready to tackle the proper schooling.

I hate to say but although Hua Hin is a great place to be (visited many times whilst living in BKK) the schools there are not very good. Read to many negative comments about them all there on a forum for Hua Hin.

Also we lived in KL and Cuckai for a while and we were not impressed with the places at all. KL is fine if you want your kids all to speak with American accents (no offence meant to our US cousins) but it used to make me laugh when we were out with frinds from Aberdeen and their kids sitting there yacking away with strong american accents which they picked up from the school.

Best of luck

Thanks for feedback....finally decided on Singapore when all factors considered.....leaving shortly....good luck to all!

Positively a good choice. You will never regret this. The quality of life there is superb; the quantity has improved (quantity as to what's available in terms of night life, day life and extra curricular activites). Congrat. But, as a single person or one without kids, I choose Thailand.

Edited by exterminator

• 3 weeks later...

Phuket,

Major airport with Direct flights to most asian countries

international hospitals

2 bedroom homes from 10,000 to 120,000 baht

3 international schools BIS, QSI, PIA 340,000-475,000 baht/year depending on age of your kids

4-5 Bi-lingual schools 65,000-120,000/year

good shopping

plenty of expats in same sitauation, (Many Farang familes)

if ur kids are in International school one parent can get a 1 year visa

Unlike Pattaya has a good reputation

Phuket,

Major airport with Direct flights to most asian countries

international hospitals

2 bedroom homes from 10,000 to 120,000 baht

3 international schools BIS, QSI, PIA 340,000-475,000 baht/year depending on age of your kids

4-5 Bi-lingual schools 65,000-120,000/year

good shopping

plenty of expats in same sitauation, (Many Farang familes)

if ur kids are in International school one parent can get a 1 year visa

Unlike Pattaya has a good reputation

Most families live nowhere near Pattaya. My village is probably 1/2 full of oil workers. Airport is only 90 minutes away...more golf courses than you can shake a stick at.

We had a small party last night as one guy is leaving for his 5 week stint...we laughed that people feel sorry for us living in Pattaya...but they really have no idea what the areas outside of town are really like. Huge difference. Kinda like comparing Patong with Bang Tao...