Soi Reggae

the best ever bar in Soi reggae was eye 90, no where in Samui evercame a close second, Angie was a legend as were here staff, i live in Pattaya now but eye 90 knocks spots off anything here. think SE might agree.

Gin Queen they seem to be talking on facebook as they are both on mine, that is Char and Pat not sure Pat is an ex.

Is the bar called Safiara bar now?

the best ever bar in Soi reggae was eye 90, no where in Samui evercame a close second, Angie was a legend as were here staff, i live in Pattaya now but eye 90 knocks spots off anything here. think SE might agree.

Gin Queen they seem to be talking on facebook as they are both on mine, that is Char and Pat not sure Pat is an ex.

Is the bar called Safiara bar now?

Yes

I wish!!!!!!!!!!

Don Screamingeagle.

More like Don't Screamingeagle.

What's with all the google ads inside your posts? Is anyone else seeing them?

[edit - I wasn't logged in when I saw them. After logging in to reply, I don't see them anymore. That's a benefit of membership I guess - less ads.]

Edited by koheesti

i was out and about last night friday the 13th of aug; so it would be safe to say that it is now high season. at 11:30 soi reggae looked like it was ready to close, as did the beach road in chewang. If i was a bar owner i would truley be missing the days just a few yrs ago when things were just starting to roll at that hour.

Doors Pub - long gone, but it was by far the best ever!

i was out and about last night friday the 13th of aug; so it would be safe to say that it is now high season. at 11:30 soi reggae looked like it was ready to close, as did the beach road in chewang. If i was a bar owner i would truley be missing the days just a few yrs ago when things were just starting to roll at that hour.

So is Soi Green Mango.... yes it's a really bad year... wonder where all the punters have gone? Did they all end up married? :rolleyes:

Edited by Samuian

So is Soi Green Mango.... yes it's a really bad year... wonder where all the punters have gone? Did they all end up married? :rolleyes:

That's it Samuian, you hit the nail on the head, you found the ever elusive answer. Need a fresh shipment.

My favourites are;

D&N Nixer Bar - Char and Pat are the best hosts you could want in a bar, many nice regulars, always a good party, and great for watching the football too.

Blue Hawaii - nice chilled out little place, with 50 baht vodka, and the owner - Kai is a lovely lady

Sunshine Bar - see Blue Hawaii

Ostaria - Abo, the owner, is a good friend and a great guy. Plus the "PC dukebox" allows you to choose your own music

F.U.B.A.R. - cos my girlfirend works in there

• 2 weeks later...

Da & nut what bar they in the girls who look like sisters?

I agree. Angie at the Eye90 before she changed it from a bit of a dive where you had to step down, bang your head on the roof and struggle to get to the bar because it was so busy!!! Then she tried to go upmarket and enlarged it so it looked like all the other bars in Soi Reggae. Even all her ladies wearing the same outfit (nurses was my favorerite!) didn't help. I miss Angie but I think she sold the bar at exactly the right time.....

she did not exactly sell but ran overnight, still ring her now and again she is in Phuket. poor gay lads that took it over ended up paying off a few of her debts. Da is till with her Nut is across the road owner of 69 bar, gawd knows where the rest went. SE, it was great when it was the old shack, toilet was always busy though, cant imagine why, store room seemed to get a lot of visits as did the house down the side of the bar. never did quite work out why. wish she would come to Pattaya and liven the place up. the classic time was when Johhny the DJ was there RIP, doing his freddie mecury impression. i hear gregg(dead man walking as we called him) is back from Pattalung. no suprise there.

Holy Moly....is is really THAT BAD ? :o

Where are all the tourists? I mean if the beach road of Chaweng, Soi Reggae and Soi Green Mango are deserted...what's happening ?

Sure, there is a crisis floating around the world but young people still go on holiday and party...don't they ? :unsure:

If it's so bad in August how on earth are the small shop owners, bars, restaurants going to survive till Xmas ?

LaoPo

Where are all the tourists? I mean if the beach road of Chaweng, Soi Reggae and Soi Green Mango are deserted...what's happening ?

Sure, there is a crisis floating around the world but young people still go on holiday and party...don't they ? :unsure:

If it's so bad in August how on earth are the small shop owners, bars, restaurants going to survive till Xmas ?

LaoPo

Perhaps of the BKK air fairs as opposed to fares to other Thai destinations might have A LOT to do with it. Phuket is busy and BKK prices are crucifying this island.

Sorry off topic slightly, but for anyone not living here is does answer the question as to why young people are comong to Thailand but avoiding Samui. EG. Afriend of mine is going to Phuket for a week to meet his sister and her family. They are not overdone for money a what with the HUGE saving made on the Phuket flight for them, he's driving down there to meet them.

Just another example, but the reason our tourism is down on this island id DIRECTLY down the Bangkok Aiways and anybody that thinks otherwise has there head firmly routed in the sand or is simply deluded.

LaoPo

Perhaps of the BKK air fairs as opposed to fares to other Thai destinations might have A LOT to do with it. Phuket is busy and BKK prices are crucifying this island.

Sorry off topic slightly, but for anyone not living here is does answer the question as to why young people are comong to Thailand but avoiding Samui. EG. Afriend of mine is going to Phuket for a week to meet his sister and her family. They are not overdone for money a what with the HUGE saving made on the Phuket flight for them, he's driving down there to meet them.

Just another example, but the reason our tourism is down on this island id DIRECTLY down the Bangkok Aiways and anybody that thinks otherwise has there head firmly routed in the sand or is simply deluded.

i agree 110% my friends flew from bali to bkk for less than it cost them to get from bkk to samui :blink: buyers theses days are also shoppers and they will go where their money gets best value, samui already has a reputation as being more costly for food and bev add outragious air fares and it is another straw on the back.

As a bar owner, I can confirm it's quiet. However, it's better than this time last year when the world economic crisis exploded! There seem to be more couples and families visiting the island now. I miss the good old days when the island was full os single visitors with cash to spend!!!!

LaoPo

i agree 110% my friends flew from bali to bkk for less than it cost them to get from bkk to samui :blink: buyers theses days are also shoppers and they will go where their money gets best value, samui already has a reputation as being more costly for food and bev add outragious air fares and it is another straw on the back.

Also agree. It's cheaper going elsewhere in Thailand because of BKK Airways. The young people that use to frequent Soi Reggae and the other amusement parlor soi's on the island are now going anywhere but Samui.....THANKS BKK AIRWAYS (AND YOUR OVER PRICED HOSPITALS). :angry:

I find it very depressing when I go to Soi Reggae now. So few people and half the bars closed. I used to own a bar there 6 years ago and the road was full of happy revellers. Ther bars were full and it was great. Now the Soi just looks desperate!!!

I used to own a bar there 6 years ago also - I only had it for a few months but I sold it to an old friend of mine who ran it under the same name for about a year. This soi used to be such a laugh.... Remember Benny Kings? The original Shooters? Parrots? The old PFC before it was extended? Coco Bongos just on the corner of the Soi? For me that soi was a top crack. Loved it. I spent 5 nights out of 7 there for 3 years and only checked in on Soi Mango once in a while. It used to be known as 'The Darkside". I went back for the first time in a few years after I left the island and I was gutted at just how desperate the soi had become.

The amount of times I have stumbled out of Benny Kings at 10am.... Brilliant times.

The killer pool comps at Shooters.

Mad John, the Scottish guy who had the first bar on the right as you turn into the soi....... For a crazy mad man who one burried a meat cleaver in a Germans head . The last I heard I was put into a coma whilst working on a Thai building site at 150 Baht a day. No idea how true that is but it would not suprise me.

Wingnut Eddies on the corner.

Pee Sen and all his mad little workers from the boxing stadium having a beer with you in the afternoon. I used to love getting them steaming and then watch them struggle with a hangover all night when the boxing was on.

Anne and her little cute birds at Eye 90. Most days you would nip in there for a chilled afternoon beer .

Ahhh. That Soi used to be the nuts. Its been dead in the water for years now though. Shame.

I had a wicked little bar that looked real nice. Most nights there would still be a dozen people at the bar at 4am. Eventualy Thai's took it over, ripped half of the bar away, took all the nice lighting and decor out and filled the place with minging isarn munchkins dancing like your drunken mum at a wedding to "Barbie Girl". They even called it a <deleted> name.... "My Friend Me Friend You Bar" or something dodgy like that.

Good times.

Edited by Rooo
Removed racist & sexual remark.Rooo.

I find it very depressing when I go to Soi Reggae now. So few people and half the bars closed. I used to own a bar there 6 years ago and the road was full of happy revellers. Ther bars were full and it was great. Now the Soi just looks desperate!!!

I used to own a bar there 6 years ago also - I only had it for a few months but I sold it to an old friend of mine who ran it under the same name for about a year. This soi used to be such a laugh.... Remember Benny Kings? The original Shooters? Parrots? The old PFC before it was extended? Coco Bongos just on the corner of the Soi? For me that soi was a top crack. Loved it. I spent 5 nights out of 7 there for 3 years and only checked in on Soi Mango once in a while. It used to be known as 'The Darkside". I went back for the first time in a few years after I left the island and I was gutted at just how desperate the soi had become.

The amount of times I have stumbled out of Benny Kings at 10am.... Brilliant times.

The killer pool comps at Shooters.

Mad John, the Scottish guy who had the first bar on the right as you turn into the soi....... For a crazy mad man who one burried a meat cleaver in a Germans head . The last I heard I was put into a coma whilst working on a Thai building site at 150 Baht a day. No idea how true that is but it would not suprise me.

Wingnut Eddies on the corner.

Pee Sen and all his mad little workers from the boxing stadium having a beer with you in the afternoon. I used to love getting them steaming and then watch them struggle with a hangover all night when the boxing was on.

Anne and her little cute birds at Eye 90. Most days you would nip in there for a chilled afternoon beer .

Ahhh. That Soi used to be the nuts. Its been dead in the water for years now though. Shame.

I had a wicked little bar that looked real nice. Most nights there would still be a dozen people at the bar at 4am. Eventualy Thai's took it over, ripped half of the bar away, took all the nice lighting and decor out and filled the place with minging isarn munchkins dancing like your drunken mum at a wedding to "Barbie Girl". They even called it a <deleted> name.... "My Friend Me Friend You Bar" or something dodgy like that.

Good times.

your bar was on the corner where the Soi reggae boxing stadium is?????

Lol. That was not me. Like I said in an earlier post, I sold the bar on to a guy kept the name of the bar and had it for a year or two before a Thai eventualy took it over. I started the bar but only had it for a few months. I do know if he later sold it, lost it to a ladyboy as you suggested or whatever, thats none of my business and not for me to comment on realy

Lol. That was not me. Like I said in an earlier post, I sold the bar on to a guy kept the name of the bar and had it for a year or two before a Thai eventualy took it over. I started the bar but only had it for a few months. I do know if he later sold it, lost it to a ladyboy as you suggested or whatever, thats none of my business and not for me to comment on realy

Sorry, that the guy before you!!! Apologies!!!!!!

Sorry, that the guy before you!!! Apologies!!!!!!

No worries

What I want to ask: What are "NOW" the busiest bars in Soi Reggae ?

In July, i think 69 Bar and Safiara Bar had more costumers then the other bars ?

what you think ?

Best Regards

Depends what you mean by busy, these days... A bar with more than 3 customers is now very busy!!!!!!!!!!!