First The Fortuner To Indonesia, Now The Camry To Malaysia

The news that Fortuner production was moving to Indonesia was incorrect - what's actually happening is that Indonesia are assembling Fortuners from Thai-made parts for sale in Indonesia and a couple of export markets. This makes sense as Indonesia already assembling the Innova which is based on the same (IMV) platform.

The Fortuner you buy in Thailand will continue to be Thai made, and there's no plans to shift out of Thailand as the primary production base.

Given the relatively small budget being cited by Paul Tan (~ USD $28M ) I can only imagine that Malaysia will be doing the same - i.e. assembling Camry's from Thai made parts, for local (and maybe Singapore) consumption. There's simply not enough money being spent to setup actual end-to-end manufacturing.

The news that Fortuner production was moving to Indonesia was incorrect - what's actually happening is that Indonesia are assembling Fortuners from Thai-made parts for sale in Indonesia and a couple of export markets. This makes sense as Indonesia already assembling the Innova which is based on the same (IMV) platform.

The Fortuner you buy in Thailand will continue to be Thai made, and there's no plans to shift out of Thailand as the primary production base.

Given the relatively small budget being cited by Paul Tan (~ USD $28M ) I can only imagine that Malaysia will be doing the same - i.e. assembling Camry's from Thai made parts, for local (and maybe Singapore) consumption. There's simply not enough money being spent to setup actual end-to-end manufacturing.

Malaysia has been assembling Camry for some years, from Thai made parts.

All LOS Toyota plants are running at 100% capacaty, and if investment is granted by Toyota Japan, it will take a year or two to increase the LOS output