Hotel Near Tapae Gate But Forget The Name...

homeseeker

I live in Thailand but last visited Chiang Mai about 5-6 years ago. On that last visit I stayed at a reasonable/budget hotel @ about 600-750 per night. The hotel is near Tapae Gate(ruined wall) . it has many floors as I remember staying on a high floor, perhaps 8th floor, and there is a small reception on the ground floor with safe boxes behind the counter. As part of or near to the hotel is a restaurant/coffee shop afronting the main road and has a cake shop.

I have racked my brain and researched the area on the net but I cannot remember or locate the name of the place.

Things may have changed since my last visit but can anyone familiar with CM tell me the name of the hotel?

Many thanks in advance!

I was not sure, but I had only heard that long term prices had gone up. I can not find any daily prices on the website (other than long term 800 baht per night - I was paying 333 a couple of years ago.)

The daily rate is probably there somewhere, but I can't be bothered to search the whole site further.

I was not sure, but I had only heard that long term prices had gone up. I can not find any daily prices on the website (other than long term 800 baht per night - I was paying 333 a couple of years ago.)

The daily rate is probably there somewhere, but I can't be bothered to search the whole site further.

The New place next to McDonlads opposite the gate is a real nice place stayed there a night when my bro was in town brand new and it was 900 baht including a nice buffet breakfast which I though was excellent value for the quality

Cant remember the name of it

The New place next to McDonlads opposite the gate is a real nice place stayed there a night when my bro was in town brand new and it was 900 baht including a nice buffet breakfast which I though was excellent value for the quality

I believe youre talking about Imm Hotel Thapae.

http://www.immhotel.com/thaphae/thaphae-home.html

http://www.immhotel....aphae-home.html

Don't think Imm has been open for 5 years! Maybe Top North Hotel?

http://www.immhotel....aphae-home.html

Don't think Imm has been open for 5 years! Maybe Top North Hotel?

..agree on Top North Hotel..it had Zest Restaurant out the front with quite a nice jungle garden then behind was bakery, restaurant inside with massage and small nightclub on 1st floor..this part has been demolished and new building under construction..basic hotel still operational behind that..identifiable still by one odd room door (the one the farang kicked the beejeezus out of trying to get into belt his Thai girlfiend)..

Everything about the Montri fits, but 5 floors.

Must be the Montri - safety boxes behind the counter is a dead giveaway.

The Montri is ancient - last time I stayed there, the rooms were just as ancient as they have been, the only thing renovated is the nice-looking bar/restaurant/breakfast area downstairs. The shower looks about 20 years old.

Therefore I'd recommend the Imm Hotel as mentioned above. It's brand new so no problems, price same as Montri. Might even get a discount pre-booking at Agoda etc. Or go away from Ta Pae gate down Ta Pae road and take the first or second soi on the right, there's many little nice guest houses hidden in there.

I used to love the Amora Tapae but time has not been kind to this building and it's now just yet another really old concrete building. Overpriced for what you get. Hence the rule in Asia: Stay in the new hotel. New vs old is much more important than price. They build it cheaply, and let it run until it falls down, and don't renovate or improve anything.

Top North is going through a major renovation, they seem to be open but they're building a brand new building so I would not stay there just now.

The Montri has been completely renovated since the new owners took over. If the price is similar, I prefer it to the Imm Hotel and the breakfast is better.

If one is looking for a swimming pool, the Top North Hotel is not a bad option, but more run down than the other two.

Is somethin amiss ?????

this thread goes from post # 1 to Post # 37 in 13 posts.....??

correction.... it seems that other threads are jumping post numbers also...

Known issue that is expected to be corrected in the next TV upgrade. Not a database issue but a display issue.

The rooms in the Montri are currently being renovated floor by floor.

I was there the other day, the rooms are looking good with all new furnishings including new beds and 32" LCD TV's. The bathrooms have also been completely stripped and redone.

They were saying the price is now Thb 1,100 per night but they are currently running a promotion at Thb 800 per night without breakfast.

Here it is.

Edit: The front rooms all have double glazing to keep the noise out.

Edited by Blinky Bill

The Montri has been completely renovated since the new owners took over. If the price is similar, I prefer it to the Imm Hotel and the breakfast is better.

If one is looking for a swimming pool, the Top North Hotel is not a bad option, but more run down than the other two.

Hey UG

Why do you prefer the Montri over the IMM I see a poster said its way noisy 24/7 at the Montri unless you get a back room The IMM was dead quiet when I stayed there cause its set way back from the road.

Breakfast was delivered to me so :whistling: so cant comment on the spread but what I got was pretty good. never stayed at the Montri but would seem to beleive the poster that it would be noisy with being right on the gate.

There are lots of rooms in the back of the Montri that are quiet, but the ones in the front don't bother me because they have double pane glass.

Unlike the Imm, the Montri has a refrigerator in every room, an elevator, ceiling fans and large beds - instead of two singles - a view of Doi Suthep (in the back) and the rooms are just as nice.

Also, the breakfast at the Imm Hotel is a do-it-yourself mini-buffet (at least it was last time that I checked) where the restaurant at the Montri is an American breakfast that is prepared by the kitchen staff.

Actually, either place is OK, but I prefer the Montri. :wai:

Edited by Ulysses G.

The hotel next to McDonalds is the Imm Hotel and is very nice according to my friends who have stayed there several times

Many thanks to everyone who has taken the trouble to reply to my question. Please take this general thank you as individualised.

Have to say the Montri rings a bell, so that surely is the place. Must be mistaken about being on perhaps the 8th floor as remember it was at least 5 or 6 + years ago my last trip to CM so my memory may be defective on the floor number. I do remember looking down on the traffic below so must of been the top floor i stayed in.

If I can get a room for 800 baht there now, that does not sound unreasonable.

That said from my internet research and talking with a few locals from CM here in Pattaya seems prices generally in Chiang Mai have increased a lot in the last few years?

Is that so?

And welcome any further input or recommendations on centrally located places to stay.

Whilst on the subject be glad for any ideas for day or night activities/place to see or visit, and be glad to know of any suggestions for a decent gym locally for a day or weeks membership.

Chok Dee!

smile.gif

Edited by homeseeker

Whilst on the subject be glad for any ideas for day or night activities/place to see or visit, and be glad to know of any suggestions for a decent gym locally for a day or weeks membership.

Chok Dee!

smile.gif

Have you considered a hotel with a gym (don't think the Montri has one).

The Duangtawan is a similar price (perhaps slightly more) and has a gym and pool.

If you do stay at the Montri, demand a room on the opposite side to the road, it's hideously noisy 24x7.

- Prices have gone up all over Thailand

- Montri is still good value. 333Baht a night 2 or 3 years ago? Unless i'm misunderstanding your words, this is not correct. I've stayed in Montri perhaps 20 times over 25 years. On first visit is was more than 333BAht.

- 'Hideously noisy' is a little over the top.

Edited by scorecard

- Montri is still good value. 333Baht a night 2 or 3 years ago? Unless i'm misunderstanding your words, this is not correct. I've stayed in Montri perhaps 20 times over 25 years. On first visit is was more than 333BAht.

- 'Hideously noisy' is a little over the top.

I spent nearly a year there about 18-19 years ago as I was getting my bearings and job hunting and it was around 450/night at that time. I stay there once in a while when I plan on having a drink or two. Also, never found it very noisy but I ask for the top floors preferably in the back. The front isn't that bad now actually noise wise.

I was referring to the "longterm" (monthly rate). It was 10,000 baht per month before the new owners took over. :jap:

Edited by Ulysses G.