Work In Thailand

falangaman

I am thinking of moving to Thailand and would like to ask if there are any employment agencies or similar organisations that would be able to assist me in looking for suitable employment.

Failing this does anyone know of a good publication that would advertise positions for farangs, maybe the Bagkok Post wouuld be a good start.

I am a UK resident however my wife is Thai so not a problem with the visa.

Thanks all.

I am thinking of moving to Thailand and would like to ask if there are any employment agencies or similar organisations that would be able to assist me in looking for suitable employment.

Failing this does anyone know of a good publication that would advertise positions for farangs, maybe the Bagkok Post wouuld be a good start.

Thanks all.

In what industry would you seek employment ? As an employee, many industrys are closed to non-thai nationals.

Thanks all.

Dont teach English your spelling is not to good.

Thanks all.

His spelling is not two bad....

I currently work in engineering, specifically cryogenic gases, ie liquid oxygen/nitrogen bulk instalations in hospitals, industrial companies etc.

Check-out some of the oil services companies such as Halliburton, BJ's or Schlumberger that provide nitrogen pumping services.

Other one that comes to mind is Air Liquide although I'm not sure if they operate in Thailand.

Thanks all.

His spelling is not two bad....

No its the same as yours

Falangaman,

There are thousands of farangs in the same boat as you. If I'm not mistaken, probably the largest group of farangs who are really serious about living full time in Thailand are in the 20-40 age group. Some, but NOT most, possess life's work or experience that provide adequate income in their respective country's but remember, please remember, that in Thailand, to be brief, NO farang can be given a work permit to work at ANY job that can be done by a Thai. PERIOD....

What that usually means is that those in the best and prime year's of their lives, will NOT be able to find employment legally in Thailand.

Now, the second most probable group wanting to live in Thailand full time are people like me (age 69) over age 65 and retired. We have the $$$ to live fairly comfortably in Thailand and would NOT accept work if offered, but we are well past our prime at enjoying the daily grind of say working on the Thai Railroad (laying Thais) or partying all night every nite.

There are some people in the middle group, age 40-65, who have saved enough, or have enough income to live part or full time in Thailand and these friends, IMHO, tend to be the happiest, most content, and luckiest of all.

My suggestion, for starters is to try the companies mentioned above to see if they can offer any work leading to a legal work permit being issued. Then check with your home country Embassy and Dept. of Commerce and get a list of ALL companies doing business in Thailand and check with each and every one of those companies to see if obtaining work is possible.

Failing that, you could put together enough to start your own business in Thailand and probably have a 10% of making it profitable enough to sustain you and you're wife and her family.

Ken Bower

San Antonio Texas (for 89 more days)

Chiayaphum Thailand (full retirement after that for however many years are left)

FM -

If you work for BOC Group (as I once did, many years ago), their subsidiary here is called TIG (Thai Industrial Gases) - you could try to get assigned here as a regional tech manager. See http://www.tig.co.th/defaulttig.php

But - it really is tough to get a decent job here as a foreign employee - meaning, a job that allows you to build personal wealth.

I came to Thailand as Asian Technical Manager for a US company - and after about two years (and a reorganization that placed me under the regional HQ in Penang), my employer decided I was too expensive - and I was shown the door.

I quickly determined that there ws little likelihood of finding a decent job as an employee. I was/am married to a Thai, and wanted to stay here. So - I created my own job, by starting my own business here. It is quite ............. intense ...... being an entrepreneur - and particularly when launching a business in a foreign country. Frightening, agonizing, frustrating, exhilarating, and - if you survive - rewarding. There is no safety net under you - at least in my case, I needed to have awfully deep pockets to survive the first couple of years - and I pretty much depleted my life savings - just to recah a point where I'm now earning about what I was earning 17 years ago, when I left the military (to go to work for the US arm of the BOC Group). But - I'm master of my own destiny now - no one can fire me (except my customers - and I'm well-enough diversified that loss of even a couple of my biggest customers would only be a minor setback).

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

... but remember, please remember, that in Thailand, to be brief, NO farang can be given a work permit to work at ANY job that can be done by a Thai...

This is not entirely correct. I would say it sometimes depends on luck and personal social network. As a foreigner, getting a job and working on it legally (i.e. with work permit) are not easy, but not impossible.

I'm doing exactly the same things that my thai colleagues are doing, but still... I'm granted a work permit.

Good luck!

There are some people in the middle group, age 40-65, who have saved enough, or have enough income to live part or full time in Thailand and these friends, IMHO, tend to be the happiest, most content, and luckiest of all.

Hi Kenandlat

I am one of the people who fit into this age group (40 y/o actually). Do you think having an income coming from outside Thailand of about 50 to 55,000 bht (after Aus tax is taken out) would make me happy, content and lucky in Thailand as a single man with no kids. I am not there yet but in the planning stage of it. :o

The figures above are based on current exchange rates (AUD to BHT)

Regards

Steve is right on the money and I hope to doing the same here within the next year. Save as much money as you can and when you feel secure enough that you can live for at least a few years and maybe own a condo and vehicle if you so desire to drive in that circus...you should be ok. Lack of planning and making a sudden move will be a nightmare and you'll probably be back at home within six months. Have a solid business idea and if possible a plan...Then roll on and you too can live life on your own terms!

Now if that lottery pays off...take me with you......PLEASE!!!!! :o