Bringing Cash Into Thailand

lennya12threh

Yep, and better still, if you have web access to your account, SWIFT it to your newly-acquired Thai account, easy peasy. You guys must be nuts carrying through such dosh, whether it's a small amount to you or not.

You get a much better exchange rate bringing cash into Thailand , no rip off swift fees or balls ups saying you wanted to send £ and then the UK bank converting it to Thai baht by mistake before they send it (oh really) I often bring cash.

Not necessarily, depends if you've already exchanged the other end. I really don't get this kind of thinking; people bringing in cash to save a negligible amount, yet willing to take all the risks. Just bad advice all round.

Yep, and better still, if you have web access to your account, SWIFT it to your newly-acquired Thai account, easy peasy. You guys must be nuts carrying through such dosh, whether it's a small amount to you or not.

You get a much better exchange rate bringing cash into Thailand , no rip off swift fees or balls ups saying you wanted to send £ and then the UK bank converting it to Thai baht by mistake before they send it (oh really) I often bring cash.

Not necessarily, depends if you've already exchanged the other end. I really don't get this kind of thinking; people bringing in cash to save a negligible amount, yet willing to take all the risks. Just bad advice all round.

The limit is €10000 EUROS not £s in the UK and the difference is not negligible, example I go up the roads to my post office and change cash the rate will be abysmal and the same at my bank who really dont understand that I want to send £'s to Thailand and always want to convert it to Thai baht here in the UK. Last time I used a UK bank the difference in exchange rates on £10k cost me about £800. Despite me asking them to send £s they didnt they converted it to Thai baht first, I no longer bank with them.

On top of that I DONT want the govt to know what Im doing with MY money and where MY money is going and what purpose its being used for, they can keep their stinking noses out of it and keep throwing away OTHER peoples money on bailing out idiots who cant control how they take care of OTHER people money ie the banks.

There is no problem carrying £9000 in Sterling thru customs I have been stopped once in 5 years and asked if I was carying money, they dont know what your carrying they rely on tip offs for the most part and scare tactics to make you think they know more than they really do, new airport scanners will probably show I have the cash on me now but as yet I havent seen these introduced at the airport I fly from.

£9000 in £50 notes is quite easy to conceal it doesnt take up huge amounts of room €€500 notes are much easier I only wish the UK like Scotland used to have £100 notes.

Todays rate Siam commercial bank 47.53625 superrich 49.2 24000 baht difference on 10k£ 16638 baht difference. Id rather have the £338 difference in my pocket than the banks thanks.

Edited by yabaaaa

• 2 months later...

Why carry that kind of cash anyway?

As Jingthing suggested, open a bank account here - very easy to do on just about any kind of visa - and have someone SWIFT the money to it for you.

Carry only the amount of cash you'll need for maybe a week.

Safest, and most efficient.

I did some research today - there is a company called Super Rich in bkk and the rate in AUD was 29.2 baht - the bank rates in australia were around 26 baht - for 10 k that is saving of a thousand dollars - its not chump change. I will bring the cash and throw it in the bank after I visit Super Rich.

Leaving out of Los Angeles a few years ago, when the banks still had the restriction in force about transferring more than $10,00 to Thai banks without a 6 month hold, I brought $150,000 in cash to Thailand.

Once in Thailand, things were easy...However, I notified my bank of wanting to make a cash withdrawal 2 weeks prior. Asked for new bill. Took a few hours to do the count, and then sign a US Treasury form for the money. At LAX it took about 15 minutes to locate the little closet type office to file my Treasury form for leaving the country with more than $10,000 in cash. Once I found the little office I handed him the form, he glanced at it put a red stamp on it, and I was off the the line for inspection. I had the money in my leather computer bag. No eyes were raised going through the bag check. I have used the same driver in Thailand for 10 years and arranged for him to meet me at the airport at midnight and take me to my hotel on Sumkumvit. Next morning he drove me to Super Rich, got a very good rate, declined the count, and kept it bundled in million baht packs.

I have 2 banks in Thailand. Neither blinked an eye when I went to deposit 1 million baht in my account in cash. Nor have they asked any questions when making large wit drawls.

If you decided to carry large amounts of cash into Thailand, the following should be done.

1. Plan well ahead.

a. Declare (if you country has those laws), to not do so will put you in danger of confiscation.

b. Choose a good hotel, that has a separate room for the lock box area.

c. Hire your transportation ahead of time and for the time you need to move your money around.

d. Be very aware of your surroundings. If you start to get any bad vibes, move to a more secure area. (Time is your friend)

e. If you do not have the personal capabilities of self defense, consider hiring a body guard. (Cheap insurance).

f. Never discuss with anyone how much money you have!!! Don't care how well you know/trust them...

g. Never allow the driver to come into the bank or money exchange when you are changing/depositing money..make him stay in the car!

h. Before you leave the bank/money exchange call the driver on the cell phone and have him drive to the door!

The above works for me. I do take my Thai wife with me, and instruct her on being a 2nd set of eyes.

• Like 1