Hospital With No Passport?

tngtng

Anyone ever get a broken bone taken care of in a Chiang Mai hospital without showing a passport or is it always required? Left mine down south (doh) and would rather not wait until I can get it. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

James

As long as you have means of payment, there should be no need for a passport. Why would they require a passport anyway?

Thanks for quick responses--I saw another thread in the health forum where the OP asked about privacy to keep it from his insurance company and was told it was required every time. Figured the local forum might know better...guess I was right.

Cheers

Why would anyone think it wise to travel about in a foreign country without some legally recognized form of identification? Obviously the passport for a foreigner is the best form. Does the OP not even keek a copy on him at all times ?

I seem to recall some posts maybe years back, that stated that foreigners were obliged to keep their passports on them at all times..... and that a copy was not considered acceptable..

Maybe a copy would suffice in your home city , if you are living here, but when traveling to another part of Thailand, I would say it is most unwise not to have your passport with you...

As a foreigner when checking into a hotel or other accommodation, it is required by law that you provide passport, visa, and port of entry , information..... The innkeeper is required to forward this to the immigration office within a number of hours....

as to the hospital question, to this day, after living many years in this country, and being on an insurance roll, with the Lanna Hospital, I am still asked for passport to verify my identity with each visit.

Edited by ThePunPun

Why would anyone think it wise to travel about in a foreign country without some legally recognized form of identification? Obviously the passport for a foreigner is the best form. Does the OP not even keek a copy on him at all times ?

I seem to recall some posts maybe years back, that stated that foreigners were obliged to keep their passports on them at all times..... and that a copy was not considered acceptable..

Maybe a copy would suffice in your home city , if you are living here, but when traveling to another part of Thailand, I would say it is most unwise not to have your passport with you...

As a foreigner when checking into a hotel or other accommodation, it is required by law that you provide passport, visa, and port of entry , information..... The innkeeper is required to forward this to the immigration office within a number of hours....

as to the hospital question, to this day, after living many years in this country, and being on an insurance roll, with the Lanna Hospital, I am still asked for passport to verify my identity with each visit.

I've stayed in plenty of nice hotels with no passport, but trust me, my bones completely agree with you right now. No argument there. Thanks for your input. And yes, you're correct about the law as well.

Most will want to see a passport when you register as a patient there. After having been registered there is no more need for a passport, your hospital card will be enough. But that is only my experience. Don't now what they will do if you don't have a passport. As said, showing cash will do wonders.

Edit: try someone to fax or email a copy of the ID-page of your passport.

And get well soon.

I've stayed in plenty of nice hotels with no passport, but trust me, my bones completely agree with you right now. No argument there. Thanks for your input. And yes, you're correct about the law as well.

Every hotel I've ever stayed in, either in Thailand or in Europe or anywhere else in the world I have traveled, required my passport upon check-in. I can't think of a single exception - maybe Mexico?. They are required to ask for it. I can't comment on the hospital as I've never been hospitalized in any country.

I am surprised that, if you have a fracture, you are taking the time to post and read about hospitals.

It isn't a major fracture or you would have gone to a hopsital immediately. So, how do you know it is fractured as you haven't had an x-ray? Many bones will heal without major intervention, some people believe they have a fracture when they have a sprain. A minor fracture of such as a phalanx needs litle more than a supportive strapping to the adjacent one.

Every hotel I've ever stayed in, either in Thailand or in Europe or anywhere else in the world I have traveled, required my passport upon check-in. I can't think of a single exception - maybe Mexico?. They are required to ask for it. I can't comment on the hospital as I've never been hospitalized in any country.

Ok--thanks for sharing your travel experiences.

I am surprised that, if you have a fracture, you are taking the time to post and read about hospitals.

It isn't a major fracture or you would have gone to a hopsital immediately. So, how do you know it is fractured as you haven't had an x-ray? Many bones will heal without major intervention, some people believe they have a fracture when they have a sprain. A minor fracture of such as a phalanx needs litle more than a supportive strapping to the adjacent one.

You're right--not major...just my hand. Been broken a few days already so is probably already healing. I've broken bones about nine times before, including this one, and know exactly what it feels like--both pain-wise and when inspecting the bone. The last time the doctor wanted to do surgery and I wouldn't let them--and this time I feel the same which is why I haven't and may still not go. I've already set it myself and wrapped it up--just figure a doc could do a better job even if I refused surgery. The human body is much more durable than given credit for (well maybe not mine lol), and from my perspective either way is not the end of the world by any means...cheers.

you don't need your passport for medical service. in my experience

all you'll need is a method of payment. you'll be asked to sign in,

fill out a form, but no-one will check your id.

this has been true at ram, sripat, medical associates and family

health (both in the sripat compound). even when getting a health

certificate with the official embossed seal, id was not required.

In my 26 years here, I have NEVER carried my passport, and I have NEVER needed to have a passport. :)

You're right--not major...just my hand. Been broken a few days already so is probably already healing. I've broken bones about nine times before, including this one, and know exactly what it feels like--both pain-wise and when inspecting the bone. The last time the doctor wanted to do surgery and I wouldn't let them--and this time I feel the same which is why I haven't and may still not go. I've already set it myself and wrapped it up--just figure a doc could do a better job even if I refused surgery. The human body is much more durable than given credit for (well maybe not mine lol), and from my perspective either way is not the end of the world by any means...cheers.

Okay, now I probably know which bone, one of your metacarpals. Unless it is displaced, i.e. clearly showing some displacement and misalignment, then it is sorted by bandaging the hand, try to include the relevant finger and the adjacent one to give the affeceted bone more rest.

It only needs surgery if it is clearly displaced.

Yes, before you ask, my job for years. Save your money, it will heal just the same.

Edited by BWPattaya

In my 26 years here, I have NEVER carried my passport, and I have NEVER needed to have a passport. :)

Good for you....

But the law is the law..... and there is a requirement that you show your Passport and entry documents when checking in to a hotel type accommodation.....

There are people driving in a reckless fashion, too fast for conditions, and breaking the law every day...... and they have not been killed ..... Yet.....

So whether you have needed your passport is not exactly the point.... you've just never been called to task

Good for you....

But the law is the law..... and there is a requirement that you show your Passport and entry documents when checking in to a hotel type accommodation.....

There are people driving in a reckless fashion, too fast for conditions, and breaking the law every day...... and they have not been killed ..... Yet.....

So whether you have needed your passport is not exactly the point.... you've just never been called to task

I must admit I never carry my passport on a daily basis, but I always have a copy and both my Thai driving licences on me. When I go on holiday or for a weekend away in Thailand, I take my passport just incase they won't accept my ID in the hotel. Usually the driving licence is ok though

I think you are wrong, the legal requirement in Thailand is to carry ID, that does not mean passport.

I don't carry my passport anywhere, when asked for ID (very rare), I produce my Thai driving licence which is accepted everywhere.

I think you are wrong, the legal requirement in Thailand is to carry ID, that does not mean passport.

I don't carry my passport anywhere, when asked for ID (very rare), I produce my Thai driving licence which is accepted everywhere.

According to an interview with LT. GEN. Wuthi Liptapallop Head of Immigration back in February 2010 by the Bangkok Post .All foreign nationals shale carry their Passport as their only form of ID As Thais have to have their ID cards. Thats the Law he said. You want to argue with immigration.?

<br><br>Okay, now I probably know which bone, one of your metacarpals. Unless it is displaced, i.e. clearly showing some displacement and misalignment, then it is sorted by bandaging the hand, try to include the relevant finger and the adjacent one to give the affeceted bone more rest.<br><br>It only needs surgery if it is clearly displaced.<br><br>Yes, before you ask, my job for years. Save your money, it will heal just the same.<br>
<br><br>Thanks a lot for your input.  Since I plan to opt out of surgery anyways and accepted that my hand is misaligned a long time ago, I've chosen just to deal with it myself again.  I appreciate you taking the time to offer advice.  <br><br>Cheers,<br>James<br><br>