Med Exam For Us K-1 Visa

Gumballl

I am in the process of applying for a K-1 (fiance) visa for my TGF to come to the US. She has received the Packet-3 forms, and also instructions for getting the required medical checkup.

Does anyone know how long such a checkup take? My TGF is from Korat, and she will be required to have this checkup in BKK. Just in travel time (roundtrip), she is looking at 7-8 hours. Each minute away from home, is a minute away from our baby daughter (which is 6 months old).

I've suggested to my GF to bring our daughter with her, but she worries about the "travel stress" on such a young child... and I tend to agree with her.

Anyhow, if anyone has a fiance (or spouse) that has gone thru the hassle of getting a medical checkup, please let me know how much time it took (at the hospital).

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Gumballl

I don't think the baby will be too stressed by the travel. The parent will be kind of stressed by it though. You could go with her and help in the baby's care or you could have a friend go with her to help if you can not. My experience is that the baby will probably sleep most of the way......but every baby is different and perhaps yours has problems with traveling in vehicles.

It took about 1-2 hours and my wife went to Bumrungrad hospital do get it done. How long was it from the time you sent in the initial paperwork to get the K-1 started until the US Embassy sent her the packet of papers in Thailand? I am just curious to see how long it is taking right now.

It took about 1-2 hours and my wife went to Bumrungrad hospital do get it done.  How long was it from the time you sent in the initial paperwork to get the K-1 started until the  US Embassy sent her the packet of papers in Thailand?  I am just curious to see how long it is taking right now.

TRIPxCORE -

Thanks for the reply... I will forward this info to my TGF. I think she will be happy to know that the med exam only takes a short time.

As for your query, the USCIS received my initial application (the I-129F) on 07-Apr-2005, and by 05-May-2005, they notified me that it had been approved, and that the petition had been forwarded to the Visa Section at the US Embassy in BKK.

As for when my fiance received the "Packet 3" forms, I think that it was sometime in early June. Then she had to forward them to me, to have me fill out the infinite quantity of forms, which surprisingly appear almost identical to the forms associated with the I-129F.

Sort of pissed me off, that the forms are all in "formal" english, something that the average Thai person is not going to be able to comprehend. Hence trying to explain over the phone, to my TGF, that she needs to get a Police Certificate, and prepare photos of certain dimensions for the Med Exam, is like trying to teach a construction worker how to perform brain surgery.

It is easier to smuggle an illegal alien into the US, than it is to complete the paperwork... and a lot less costly. I am here in the US right now, and I am trying to get my TGF to complete the remaining tasks ahead, so that she can notify the embassy that she is ready for her appointment (and for "Packet 4"). It's a slow process. Anyhow, I've heard that getting the K-1 generally takes about 12 weeks, but in my case, it might be about 20.

When she has her appointment, I will return to Thailand to accompany her to the embassy, and of course, to help with our baby daughter.

As for our baby... I am debating which is easier... to follow thru and get her a visa as well, or just apply for a US passport. The latter requires more leg work, more money, and more forms, and appointment... a lot of hassle.

Hey Gumball,

I know your frustration with the whole process. It sucks to go through all the paperwork and cost to get someone to this country legally while illegals are pouring over our southern borders in record numbers, fast and free. You are lucky on the time it took for the approval from USCIS, though. It took 9 months for them to approve my wife's application.

She told me that the packet 3 lists 2 places where the med exam can be performed. One is Bumrungrad and the other is BNH (Bangkok Nursing Home). She said that BNH is cheaper and it took her 2-3 hours to complete.

Good luck

Q9