Error 813

Johnniey

Every time I close my laptop computer then open later I get this message when trying to connect to the internet which is rather annoying. I have to shut down then restart to get my connection.

“Error 813 you have attempted to establish a second broadband connection while a previous broadband connection is already established using the same device or port. Please disconnect the earlier connection and then reestablish the connection.”

Can anyone suggest what I may do to stop having to do this? I have tried disabling the connection then enabling it but still end up having to restart.

I use Windows Vista. When I got to ‘Control Panel’ >’Network Connections’ the status of the Broadband Connection says “Disconected”/

How is your modem connected to your PC? Do you use ADSL or CDMA?

I assume that the modem hardware drivers cannot handle the standby/hibernation mode properly which - I assume - the laptop is entering when you close the lid.

Possible solutions:

• Go to Power Options and change what happens when you close the laptop lid.
  • I prefer to disable any action when closing the lid and use 'hibernation' mode when the power button is pressed. Hibernation will take longer to power down than 'standby' mode but will have the laptop consume zero power.
  • If your ADSL modem is connected via USB, connect it via Ethernet (network cable) if possible - there will be no special driver required for the modem in this mode since your PC uses standard network drivers to connect to the modem. This is the preferred connection method anyway since it has other advantages as well.
  • If you have a USB modem (CDMA or GPRS/EDGE), try updating your drivers.
  • You might also check the energy options of you modem device (in case of a USB connection) in the Device Manager and disable energy saving options (Allow this device to be turned off to save power).

welo

I don't mean to bang the drum for MS products, but when I upgraded to Win7 from Vista nearly all the little annoyances were suddenly gone. It was like taking off a pair of shoes a few sizes too small.