Motorbike Insurance - English License With Internation Permit

mallmagician

A dog just ran out on me as I was on my bike, and I came off the bike. I am fine, but the bike is not.

Various bits broken on it.

* Bike is bought on credit, and they had us take out insurance at the point of purchase. If I remember rightly, it cost about 2000 baht.

* Credit is in my wifes name (as the bike will be once paid off fully)

* My wife was on the back of the bike. Cut her hand, she is ok.

Anyway, it happened right in my moobahn this morning, and I was about to call the insurance company, then my friend said to me that because I do not have an actual thai motorbike license, I am not covered.

My wife has no license, so its not like I could claim she was driving.

Would we be covered on my UK license with International Permit?

I shudder to think of the repair costs.

Thanks

Phil

Well, with car insurance, from personal experience, you DO NOT NEED TO HAVE A THAI DRIVERS LICENSE. INSURANCE WILL PAY YOU, NO PROBLEM.. :)

again, from my experience (in a car)

I would assume it is he same with bike insurance, but I have no experience with that :)

At SuanDork I was recently treated for couple if broken fingers. They paid out 14500 baht which covered the whole bill. My wife was too honest and told the police I had no licence they said never mind and that they hope I get well soon.

Phil, sorry to hear of the accident but good to hear you're both ok physically.

Without seeing the policy we obviously cannot say what the full benefits are but, for only 2,000 Baht, you will not be covered for damage to your bike.

If you wish to email Thai Visa Insurance with a copy of the policy we can tell you exactly : [email protected]

Legal bits : you are covered legally if you hold a (legal) license in your own country to ride the bike - do not be afraid of talking to your insurance company.

At SuanDork I was recently treated for couple if broken fingers. They paid out 14500 baht which covered the whole bill. My wife was too honest and told the police I had no licence they said never mind and that they hope I get well soon.

Excuse me for asking the obvious, but your wife? You're still with her after that?

Excuse me for asking the obvious, but your wife? You're still with her after that?

Of course....they did pay up :rolleyes: The cops didn't even want money for the report.

Find someone with a thai MC license, bung them 500baht and get them to say they were driving, to avoid a walkaway from the insurance company....

Good idea. Commit a crime to defraud the insurance company.

Sure way for Insurance company to drop you like a hot potatoe, especially when Somchai's story falls apart.

It's unbelievable that a TV member is suggesting that someone commit insurance fraud which if caught, is punishable by jail time in almost any country that I can think of...especially over a few grand in property damage.

Edited by elektrified

It's unbelievable that a TV member is suggesting that someone commit insurance fraud which if caught, is punishable by jail time in almost any country that I can think of...especially over a few grand in property damage.

And imagine the joy you would feel being turned in by your own wife because she was "too honest." Sometimes loyalty is more important than honesty.