Quad

jayenram

Being a bit short on balance these days and with parking being more of a problem in town (Surin), I'm looking to buy an ATV quad bike. I've located a second hand one in Pattaya but it's American made and getting spares locally would be a problem. Can anyone recommend a dealer who stocks new or used quads, preferably of Japanese manufacture?

• 2 years later...
<font color='#000000'>Being a bit short on balance these days and with parking being more of a problem in town (Surin), I'm looking to buy an ATV quad bike. I've located a second hand one in Pattaya but it's American made and getting spares locally would be a problem. Can anyone recommend a dealer who stocks new or used quads, preferably of Japanese manufacture?</font>

I'm too looking for a dealer when next in Phuket, Mid-July 05. But I believe it's not possible to register quad bikes ('ATVs') in Thailand, so you can't use one on the roads. I want mine just to go down some steep hills in Surin to the beach and back, and for carrying heavy building materials up the hill to my house. I suspect I can get away with a few yards on the roads but not into town. Does anyone else have experience of using a quad bike discretely on the road for short trips? :o

<font color='#000000'>Being a bit short on balance these days and with parking being more of a problem in town (Surin), I'm looking to buy an ATV quad bike. I've located a second hand one in Pattaya but it's American made and getting spares locally would be a problem. Can anyone recommend a dealer who stocks new or used quads, preferably of Japanese manufacture?</font>

I'm too looking for a dealer when next in Phuket, Mid-July 05. But I believe it's not possible to register quad bikes ('ATVs') in Thailand, so you can't use one on the roads. I want mine just to go down some steep hills in Surin to the beach and back, and for carrying heavy building materials up the hill to my house. I suspect I can get away with a few yards on the roads but not into town. Does anyone else have experience of using a quad bike discretely on the road for short trips? :o

Yep, they are not road legal here, you cant register them, but then again you cant register the small "kubuta" style tractors but everyone uses them on the roads. I looked into one for the farm but as you can't use it on the road it would really just be an expensive toy. I'll convince myself I need one one day :D

It wasn't a Japanese brand, perhaps Canadian Bombardier if I remember correctly, but I've seen an ATV sold at a shop in Sukhumvit soi 24 next to Davis Hotel, across the street from President Park high-rise luxury condominium. I forgot the name of the store but it's on the 2nd floor of the 'Davis Camp' (Starbucks on the other side), on road side, a shop full of Oakley and Boblbee outdoor products.

I saw the small Kubuta style quad for sale (new) in Ubon in January. I fancy one for farm use too but they didn't look equipped for road use. Don't know the name of the shop but it was on the main road from Central Ubon to Tescos.

For balance perhaps the double rear tire type scooters would fit the bill? See them on the road here in Bangkok (not main roads) and they don't seem to require balance. Not as much room for goodies as a quad but with baskets might work out.

Not as much room for goodies as a quad but with baskets might work out.

I am very sorry Lopburi but I have to disagree with you.

There is plenty of room on a scooter.

I reckon Jaye could get all his mia noi's on one.

gallery_624_101_6816.jpeg

I bought a Chinese bike last year in the UK - it's had quite a fair bashing, but no problems yet.

This is the blurb about the manufacurer - maybe you can contact them and see if they have a distributer in LOS?

"We are dealers for the Jinlun range of EEC approved motorbikes and scooters. Jinlun is part of one of the leading large companies in China, the group is comprised of over 40 subsidiaries, now employs 12,000 personnel, and holds total assets worth in excess of USD360,000,000.

The Company is involved in research, development and manufacturing of motorcycles. Boasting advanced technology, equipment and management standards, we are carrying out all operations in line with ISO9001 stipulations, fully adhering to the principle of "Progress through excellent products".

Having built up close cooperation with such famous domestic educational establishments as Zhejiang University, Chongqing University and Tianjin University, we have developed a number of new products with support from these entities.

Some Of The bikes have 4-stroke engines which have passed strict evaluation conducted by relevant national agencies, these products have been commended as "First Rate Products". Furthermore, in 2002, all of our motorcycles and engines passed testing for Chinese "CCC" quality and safety certification, thereby providing further testament to our consistently high standards.

This is the link to the UK distrubuter - with photographs and specifications:

http://www.relcol.com/quads.htm

Not as much room for goodies as a quad but with baskets might work out.

I am very sorry Lopburi but I have to disagree with you.

There is plenty of room on a scooter.

I reckon Jaye could get all his mia noi's on one.

Not safely as no tinted windows. Of course there is the Tuk Tuk but that would probably not have much class.

"Being a bit short on balance...."

I hear that Jaye. I could have used one last week when I made it to my drive way on the motorcycle, only to fall over at the stop. :o

Jay, why not a custom Tuktuk? No worries on parts (just carry a bit of chewing gum and duct tape;) also you can customise it to fit even BFG's who may wish to ponce a ride :o Plus, you stay dry and can carry the shopping or extended family around! :D

There are a few outfits around, HERE's one

Jay, why not a custom Tuktuk? No worries on parts (just carry a bit of chewing gum and duct tape;) also you can customise it to fit even BFG's who may wish to ponce a ride :o Plus, you stay dry and can carry the shopping or extended family around!  :D

There are a few outfits around, HERE's one

A Dutch mate of mine (up here in Surin) bought one last year. Daft bugger drove it up from Bangkok after never having driven one before. He has a problem licensing it though as, of course, he doesn't have a taxi license.

I still prefer 4 wheels if at all available.

This was pointed out to me in the Bangkok Post on Sunday. Given a bit of weather-proofing and a few lights and it may be ideal. Whether it is street legal or not, I don't know. Unfortunately, they don't appear to have a website or contact eMail address.

post-123-1121135093_thumb.jpg

post-123-1121135173_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the link Tyim but I really wanted 4 wheels. Also a maximum speed of 15 km/hr is a bit on the slow side for getting around town. Near enuf for golf though.

I think you are stuck then.

As far as I can tell Thailand does not have a catagory for them and so you cannot register it.

I found two gas powered golf carts for sale and wanted to buy one as a shopping car for the wife, but I cannot register it.

I do not want to be easy prey for the local bobby to relieve me of 200baht every time we use it.

I do not want to be easy prey for the local bobby to relieve me of 200baht every time we use it.

As far as I know, my mate with the tuk-tuk has never been fined by the police for it not being licensed. And it's not that it isn't obvious being virtually new with a fat old farang (sorry Fred) driving it! Maybe the Surin BIB just don't know how to deal with it. :o

OK Jaye, I have found the website that I mentioned in my PM

www.gemcarasia.com/eng/gallery.html

65kph, 70km range, 4 seats, electric

Office : 999/2 Moo 6 Teparak Rd., Tepark, Samutprakarn 10270. THAILAND

Showroom : 1023 TPS Building, Pattanakan Rd., Suanluang, Suanluang

Bangkok 10250 THAILAND

Tel: 0-2717-8100-4 Fax: 0-2717-8105-6

It's a subsidery of Daimler Chrysler

Don't ask the price, I know it's going to be expensive.

I have just emailed them to ask if they are street legal and how much.

Edited by Thetyim

Get a yamaha raptor or Banshee racing quad, about 5 to 6 gran in the uk, they go like stink, i have just bought one and hope to get it shipped to Buriram, as i have said in a previous post, got some spare land, shail banks etc, thought about making a track.

Big boys toys..