Isuzu Mu-7 Or Toyota Fortuner

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 months later...
The Petrol Fortuner has far more power than the MU-7.

Petrol Fortuner has 160hp, less than engine in MU-7, and about 220Nm torque compared to about 360 for Isuzu.

What's Flex ride? Is it still springs?

MU-7 has 163HP, 360Nm Torque from 1800-2800rpm for the manual and 333Nm from 1600-3200rpm for the auto. Auto has a lower torque value but it has a far wider rev range 1600rpm compared to 1000rpm in the manual for its optimum torque. I pick mine up on Tuesday :o

Edited by Sidewindr

For looks, the MU-7 isn't too bad. The Fortuner doesn't look very stable and body roll is always an issue with SUV's. I don't see many MU-7's but I do see a TON of Fortuners. I'd be curious is to which one has better stability/handling, although if I had the money, I'd just go for a pickup.

I had decided to go for the 3.0 Fortuner but I am putting that on hold to consider this new Isuzu SUV (Alterra) MU-7 Gold Series Diesel 4x4. Does anyone have any head-to-head spec comparisons? Though I don't particularly like the plain, boxy (what were those designers thinking? This is the 21st century!) exterior styling, I am impressed with the more spaciousness(?) of the interior and other extras. Does anyone know how these cars and this Diesel engine stands up for the long run and compares directly with the Fortuner? Is there adequate after-market and repair support for this car and its engine?

Edited by Ahnsahn

.....also, has anyone compared the 3ard row seats of the Fortuner and MU-7? While the Fortuner's 3ard row seat can be nicely stored to the side wall(?), what about the 3ard row seat of Isuzu's MU-7?

.....also, has anyone compared the 3ard row seats of the Fortuner and MU-7? While the Fortuner's 3ard row seat can be nicely stored to the side wall(?), what about the 3ard row seat of Isuzu's MU-7?

I took the third row seats out of my Fortuner, put them in storage, I would use them very rarely and taking them out completely really gave me a lot of carrrying capacity. And if I have lots of people in my motor, they can sit in that area, ( Had 10 people in the car New Years Eve! ) :o

In Isuzu's MU-7 Gold Series SUV, does anyone have any idea whether or not the ceiling mounted DVD monitor can be replaced with (2) DVD monitors installed in the back of each of the head-rests of the front row seats, instead?

Edited by Ahnsahn

• 4 months later...
In Isuzu's MU-7 Gold Series SUV, does anyone have any idea whether or not the ceiling mounted DVD monitor can be replaced with (2) DVD monitors installed in the back of each of the head-rests of the front row seats, instead?

You can do anything you want to do. It just costs money, however this is not a factory option, some dealers may offer it but it will be a 3rd party install not an Isuzu factory install.

• 2 months later...
what about the fuel economy of the mu-7?

strong point?

or the only strong point of the car?

well I got over 14 k/l from my MU7 when taking it easy. Break the speed limits and you should still get 12-13

I'm so happy with my 2 months old MU7 4x4. Engine is absolutely no noisy, with big power and very efficient turbo.

The interiors are much better than the fatty Fortuner (Toyota made a new model 2008 to compare the accessories of the MU7, but overpriced).

Fuel consumption is better than Toyota, suspensions are good enough for thai highways. Very good 4x4 on the fly (pushbutton for 4x2-4x4H-4x4L). Very good price (1.170.000 baht for the 4x4 model, manual gear)

CONS.

Steering radius not so big

Reverse sight not so good (I understand why they put a rear camera!)

i used to really like the looks of the fortuner, but there are just so many on the roads today.

its too bad we have such small choice of vehicles here (regular priced that is).

a recent trip to the US, hadn't been in years, and i couldn't believe how many different and new vehicles there were. i felt like i was driving thru a concept car show.

Had my Fortuner for 3 years and loved it, but time to sell it.

Bit of a dissapointment in petrol usage - on avg get about 6.7 km/l in mostly city driving(originally expected 10km/l). Only put 31K km on it in a little over 3 years.

Put a bid in on an 2 year old Alphard Hybrid and got it. Hope I'll get 11 km/l with it. Can't believe you got 14 km/l on the MU7

• 8 months later...

Have just bought latest mu7 platinum and took the family to kanchanaburi. It drove like a dream over all surfaces. It's so spacious inside without being 'pumped up like the fortuner'. It also looks great from just about all angles especially in the all white livery which we have.

the engine is so quiet for a deisel, very torquey, and economical... currently overall fuel economy is 13.2 kl per litre. The seats are comfortable..... I have back trouble and not even a twinge during the drive to Kanchanaburi.

We also have the latest Honda CRV which is great around town but is not as comfortable as the mu7 on long distance and has an average fuel economy of 8.2 kl per litre ( petrol ).

The Fortuner is also too high to park in some underground parking lots, looks like it's on steroids and will not have the resale value of an Isuzu. We traded in our 5 year old Isuzu DMax which we bought for a little over 800,000 and got 400,000 for it.

So to sum up...... the complete package of the mu7 wins the day for me over all it's rivals and even the Honda CRV.

Grrr, when I got my MU7 the only choice was between champagne, black and silver, the white for 2WD only. White MU7 is a beauty!

And I agree with you about space, economy. What when you need some more power and the turbo push you on the seat?

Fortuner :):D

Sorry I am in the opposite corner on this one. :)

They are just so pig-ugly!!!, and every time I see one they remind me of a jacked up 1970's Ford Transit Van with windows down the sides.

How anyone can fork out 1,277,500 for the range topper (Isuzu's latest price list) beats me.

Back in the 'Land of Hope and Glory' we have a saying "fools and their money are easily parted"

I drive a Nissan cos the TW's from Issan- only joking!, PB really.

hope you get this upload of the mu 7. how can anyone say this is ugly ! it is a head turner.

maybe earlier versions didn't look as good but then neither did the early versions of the fortuner.

their latest version looks good though but in my and most others opinions the mu7 has the edge.

oh and don't forget that once again (this months figures) the dmax has outsold the vigo and i'm sure that isuzu will always be no 1 in thailand...... where they know a thing or two about pickups.

post-86664-1247581525_thumb.jpg

Bravo Timbos, it's a beauty. The white one is a head turner!

isuzu-mu7.jpg

MU7 in white pearl is really good looking, but the rear leaf springs, noisy and detuned engine with auto, 3 sensor ABS brakes and too small brakes is really outdated compared to Pajero Sport and Fortuner. Ok MU7 fans, please dont kill me now :)

I have the 4x4 manual and doesn't look detuned to me and yes, 4 discs brakes should be better than only 2.

Pajero, what a disappointing car! I was expecting a much better car. Look like a Thairung custom made Isuzu...

I can't imagine how people can get 13 - 14 km/l out of these monsters.

On a Camry / Accord your might get that figures, when rolling on a highway but not touching any city traffic! Ok it is not a Diesel, but.....I think those figures are exaggerated.

Toyota lovers will not believe the economy figures for Isuzu because the Toyota fuel economy is the worst of all the Diesel engines available in Thailand. I judge how advanced a diesel engine is by how economical it is, Isuzu being the best and Toyota being the worst.

ADDED - A diesel engine is always about 30 percent more efficient than a gasoline engine. My pickup is bigger, heavier and has a bigger engine than my car. It also gets more kilometers per liter than my car.

Edited by Gary A

I know I'm comparing a car to a truck and different brands, however I had a Mitsubishi Lancer 2000cc and for 1000 Baht of petrol I would get 300 Kilometres. I now have a D-Max 4x4 3.0 VGS Auto and for 1000 Baht of diesel I get between 450-500 kilometres.

I think the figues the guys quoted for the MU7 could be right.

13/14 maybe 5th gear 90 kmh, but on highway 120/140 sure 11 or little more

With an medium speed of 110 K on the highway the consumption is 9.4 l per 100 K;

this was so on my trip from BKK to CM by Uttaradit.

When 100k an hour he only use 7.4l per 100 k

At 120k an hour its 10.4L per 100k

at 60k its only 5.6L per 100K

In short I could drive to CM without filling my tank.(73l), and I have a rather heavy foot and a sportif driving style.

But in traffic jam the consumption go's up till 25l per 100K

And the power when go on on the mountains is amazing, Its an almost 3 ton heave SUV but its drive like a sedan. The GVS Turbo engine is very powerfull, its a pleasure to take him to his limits, you realy feel the torgue. I always against an automatic gear but this car changed my mind;

And the space is enormous, My wife is a very critical woman about seats, but she is very praising about the comfort and I don't know any car who have such spacious and comfortable back seats.

And the breaks and lights are far more better than the Fortuner, even my stepson who is a Fortuner fan admitted it. He drove my MU7 and was amazed about the driving comfort.

Needless to say that I'm very pleased with my MU7.

Edited by henryalleman

hope you get this upload of the mu 7. how can anyone say this is ugly ! it is a head turner.

maybe earlier versions didn't look as good but then neither did the early versions of the fortuner.

their latest version looks good though but in my and most others opinions the mu7 has the edge.

oh and don't forget that once again (this months figures) the dmax has outsold the vigo and i'm sure that isuzu will always be no 1 in thailand...... where they know a thing or two about pickups.

....I'm with you - your description of the car's ride and its good gas mileage is music to my ears! While having to decide between the CR-V, Fortuner and MU-7 (and having chose the Fortuner until finally settling on the MU-7), The only real negatives IMHO was its (original) exterior look and its brakes(?) But this 'new' exterior look is definitely a huge step in the right direction! Oh, I would prefer not to have the leaf suspension, too. But all things considered, this model does it for me!

I, too, am going with the diesel but also the 4x4 as I plan to keep this baby for many a year and take many trips around LOS. Do you know of a good place that can move the DVD screen from the ceiling and into the back of both of the front headrests? I wish this was an mfg. option!