Banks, Bank Letter(S) & Best Interest Rates

For extensions to Visas based upon a Thai wife is it possible to:-

1. Have the Baht 400,000 partly in a current Savings Account but preferably the major part in a Term Deposit Account to gain maximum interest on ones Savings?

2. Could the money be deposited at two separate Banks?

3. If acceptable will this require two Bank letters and how much would usually? be charged for the Letters?

4. Any recommendations?

yes to the first 3 questions but would the interest from 2 banks cover the cost of the 2 letters

simply put the necessary cash required into a fixed deposit account with one bank

Sorry my Post wasn't quite clear enough.

The reason for my questions is that my Current Bank pays lousy interest but processes my pension cheque clearance faster than the others can offer. 20 days versus 35 to 45 days.

Hence allowing for minimum balance Bank charges it would seem beneficial to move some of the money to another Bank to gain maximum interest on a Term Deposit and then move it back later. Even better would be to leave it where it is to gain even more interest if the Immigration will accept two Banks. Of course I would need to know how much each Bank charges for their letters? For example I believe the Bangkok Bank charge Baht 1,000.-which is rather high.

I also wondered if anyone could offer a better solution?

Thanks for the input. Anybody use two banks and two Bank letters for the Bangkok Immigration?

Of the major Banks it seems that Bangkok Bank have the best deal on Term Deposit interest rates especially for 2 to 3 years which would be nice in my specific case.

While my experience is related to securing a yearly extension of stay based on retirement not marriage. Mostly due to marriage extensions be a paperwork pain in the proverbial ass for me to do for people :( . It still shows that it’s at least, in theory, possible to use multiple accounts from banks in thailand to secure a yearly extension :) .

You’d need bank letters from BOTH banks, and passbooks updated on the day or very close to the day you try to secure your yearly extension of stay ;) .

Here's the link to my response to another post:

Good luck and do post whether you were successful or not in your endeavor.

While my experience is related to securing a yearly extension of stay based on retirement not marriage. Mostly due to marriage extensions be a paperwork pain in the proverbial ass for me to do for people :( . It still shows that it’s at least, in theory, possible to use multiple accounts from banks in thailand to secure a yearly extension :) .

You’d need bank letters from BOTH banks, and passbooks updated on the day or very close to the day you try to secure your yearly extension of stay ;) .

Here's the link to my response to another post:

Good luck and do post whether you were successful or not in your endeavor.

[/quote

I have recently obtained my years extension based on marriage. I am just trying to find a solution for next year where I can use the Bangkok Bank, for example, for better interest rates and retain my existing Bank which pays a lousy interest rate but clears my Pension cheque quickly. Thai Banks require 35 to 45 days for foreign cheques which is crazy in this electronic age! Basically if I have around Baht 400,000:- tied up in a Bank the interest rate should at least be reasonable :unsure: :unsure:

I have recently obtained my years extension based on marriage. I am just trying to find a solution for next year where I can use the Bangkok Bank, for example, for better interest rates and retain my existing Bank which pays a lousy interest rate but clears my Pension cheque quickly. Thai Banks require 35 to 45 days for foreign cheques which is crazy in this electronic age! Basically if I have around Baht 400,000:- tied up in a Bank the interest rate should at least be reasonable :unsure: :unsure:

Cheques from abroad take endless time as they will be returned to the issueing bank abroad. Try if your pension fund can TT the amount or cash the cheque abroad and TT yourself.

Actually the US as it has electronic systems in place for such and do not require the actual check be presented. But they are banks and the more time with your money the better for them and supply/demand do not require they change there old ways.

A few years back I was refused an annual extention of my retirement visa (in Huahin) because I had money (total over 800kb) in two different accounts at the same bank.

I had to transfer into one acc then they only gave me a 6 month extention because I had been a naughty boy, had to go through the process again in 6 months.

Now I have my pension and intrest from investments paid into a bank acc in home country and make bulk transfers about every 6 months that way I pay less transfer fees and get good interest at home.

In spite of the UK Pensions Office telling me four years ago that they expected soon to pay Pensions electronically to Thailand, they still issue paper cheques :rolleyes:

They have a Contract with Air France to deliver taking 2 to 3 weeks to arrive here, the Bank sends the cheque back to the UK for clearance and I guess send the money back electronically. All Thai Banks that I have checked with require 35 to 45 days for clearance so I presume it's all done by horse and cart. :o :o

Two to three weeks is probably sensible but Bangkok Bank this week were still telling me 35 to 45 days. SCB, K Bank and Ayuthya are all quoting the same period. HSBC can do it in about 12 days but extended it to 21 days for security reasons. Customer Service failed to explain what the security reasons were?

HSBC interest rates are ridiculously low which also prompted my Thread and whether it is acceptable to have two Banks for the Visa extension?