Good Restaurant For Thai 'Family' In Udon Thani

KBTexas

Ok, the last time I took my wife's family out to dinner in Udon Thani, we went to the Chinese restaurant in the <snip> Hotel. It was ok, but way overpriced for the quality. I am going to be in Udon Thani in October, and once again get to host a dinner for mom, sisters and friends. I would like to recommend a few places to the mom that may provide both excellent food and good atmosphere. Price is not a huge issue (as long as it is not like $100 a person), but somewhere where a middle class Thai lady can be comfortable with her family is an issue. I think it will be a party of 7 or 8 people.

Any ideas? Mom enjoys Chinese fish dishes, which is why we went where we did last time. The daughters will find something they like where mom is happy, and I can eat anything that does not eat me first, but I do enjoy good food, whether it is Thai, Western, or ???.

Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Edited by toptuan
According to Thai law, if a business suffers because of adverse public announcement, then the forum is exposed to defamation lawsuits, even if the accusations are true.

My favorite family style restaurant in Udon is Meh Yaa: 042-223-889. Excellent food, A/C, parking, and reasonably priced.

Easy to find, but difficult for me to give you directions in writing. Best to have your wife telephone and get directions from the staff. If your wife is from Udon, she may already know it.

Thanks guys...I will recommend Mae Yaa to the mom and see if she would like to go there. I appreciate the replies. :D

I will ask my wife is she knows the place. The mom is a bit opinionated, so we will see. ;)

Best Regards,

This post has been edited by toptuan: Yesterday, 20:54

Reason for edit: According to Thai law, if a business suffers because of adverse public announcement, then the forum is exposed to defamation lawsuits, even if the accusations are true.

Wow...I did not know that. My apologies. Even if you do not NAME the restaurant? Heh, I guess I will have to learn to be a bit less opinionated in Thailand. :whistling:

Best Regards,

• 4 weeks later...

Politcally correct nonsense.. there is nothing to say you cannot RECOMMEND a restaraunt or business .......

.....Top recommend for restaraunt .. unique 4 level layout.. huge choice.. parking opposite tho' you might get lucky on the street.

it is in a side street best, google up udonmap.. Follow Srisuk rd west (or on the map left to right) past Udon Prison (!) on the right.. next left turn -with post office on the corner - is their street .. however..it is one way so .. left at the lights .. left again.. voila ! .off road parking opposite ..

Also have a look at some the restaraunts along the road at the top of Nong Prajak Park/Lake on Supakit Chanya Rd.

Politcally correct nonsense.. there is nothing to say you cannot RECOMMEND a restaraunt or business .......

.....Top recommend for restaraunt .. unique 4 level layout.. huge choice.. parking opposite tho' you might get lucky on the street.

it is in a side street best, google up udonmap.. Follow Srisuk rd west (or on the map left to right) past Udon Prison (!) on the right.. next left turn -with post office on the corner - is their street .. however..it is one way so .. left at the lights .. left again.. voila ! .off road parking opposite ..

Also have a look at some the restaraunts along the road at the top of Nong Prajak Park/Lake on Supakit Chanya Rd.

Thank you for the directions in2fridge. My mother in law is familiar with the restaurant, and it is not one of her favorites. :o So we are back to letting her chose wherever she wishes to go. ;)

Does anyone know of a place that has chocolate fondue in Udon Thani? My wife had it for the first time here in the States last spring, and thinks her mom would like it a lot. She certainly enjoyed it! For those of you who are unfamiliar with it, it is melted chocolate ganache served with cut fruit and small cakes or biscotti that you dip into the chocolate. It is quite tasty, and for those who like chocolate, it is heaven.

Best Regards,

The Centara had one on their breakfast buffet (yup breakfast) at Songkran this year when we were there, but on other - less crowded - times of year I've not seen it in action.

Thanks for the info Going....that at least gives me hope that I can arrange for it to be present, since the MiL wishes to eat there. :) Heheh, we offered many places, but she decided she would like to eat at the Centara, so that is where we will go.

Best Regards,

My dear KBTexas, it doesn't matter which restaurant you suggest .. there will be something wrong with it!!

My best suggestion to you would be to get M.i.L to suggest a venue ... her favourite ... then everyone will be happy. :)

Good luck

Heh, it sounds like you have experience. ;)

That is exactly what we did...we told her is was up to her. She chose the Centara, and Going said that they saw a chocolate fondue at Songkran, so maybe I can arrange to have it brought out for dessert. It should make mom happy. :D I am optimistic.

Best Regards,

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update...I spoke with Centara, and indeed they do have Chocolate Fondue, though inexpensive it is not. We are going to order it for a surprise dessert for the MiL. I will update with quality, etc. after the meal, but expect that it will be quite nice. At the price they ask (33% more than what it costs here in the US), it should be quite good.