Any Non-Native English Teachers Here?

Six months and non-native teacher, well there is one very specific case when someone with this background would be a godsend - if a teacher drops out during term, and an urgent replacement is needed, most schools lower their expectations a little. You just need to be in the right place at the right time.

Why do you think someone would need to lower their expectations to hire me for something which is my profession and I am good at?

If you want to go on the offensive, why not, I can only tell you what I see in everyday life around me for years and years.... if a principal has 2 months to hire a new teacher, they will be picky, they may prefer a certain age or accent or gender for example, if they have two hours, they will take the first applicant who looks reasonably ok.

I am a non-native teacher myself and I would have lots to tell, but you know what, I don't care if you swim or sink or whatever, because your attitude just stinks, it is not right for Thailand.... these reactions won't get you very far in a Thai school with its conservative hierarchy.

Good luck, anyway.

Which attitude and reactions?

I asked a serious question and every reply I get is offending.

Would you at least try to explain what went wrong?

Maybe it is the fact that you are not a native speaker of English that is causing the difference in how we view you and how you view yourself. But to the rest of us, everything you post screams you have an attitude. You have a superior attitude at that. It will not take long for that to cost you in Thailand. Thai administrators will not put up with it.

"Why do you think someone would need to lower their expectations to hire me for something which is my profession and I am good at?"

So, you think my reply, quoted here, is offensive. It is not my own opinion or preference or choice that Thai schools hire a native speaker with a degree in philosophy and no teaching experience whatsoever rather than a non-native with a degree in teaching English and years of experience. Debatable? Of course. Feels like hel_l? Certainly. You want to bang someone's head into a wall after the 10th interview? No doubt. But it does not change the facts. You can't start banging those heads and demanding an explanation like you did from me, quoted above. It is a valid question. But, for the sake of your mental sanity, just get used to the reality here. I was offering advice based on what I have seen over the years. Yes, if there is a hole to plug quickly, a non-native speaker who is only available for 6 months or so is more than invaluable. I got lucky, that's how I started, as a compromise, and then I was watched closely for a year before positive feedback from parents and colleagues convinced management that my accent can be overlooked after all, and I was allowed to stay on. There are some schools that are very strict, others are lenient, but we will never ever be considered the top choice.

"Why do you think someone would need to lower their expectations to hire me for something which is my profession and I am good at?"

So, you think my reply, quoted here, is offensive. It is not my own opinion or preference or choice that Thai schools hire a native speaker with a degree in philosophy and no teaching experience whatsoever rather than a non-native with a degree in teaching English and years of experience. Debatable? Of course. Feels like hel_l? Certainly. You want to bang someone's head into a wall after the 10th interview? No doubt. But it does not change the facts. You can't start banging those heads and demanding an explanation like you did from me, quoted above. It is a valid question. But, for the sake of your mental sanity, just get used to the reality here. I was offering advice based on what I have seen over the years. Yes, if there is a hole to plug quickly, a non-native speaker who is only available for 6 months or so is more than invaluable. I got lucky, that's how I started, as a compromise, and then I was watched closely for a year before positive feedback from parents and colleagues convinced management that my accent can be overlooked after all, and I was allowed to stay on. There are some schools that are very strict, others are lenient, but we will never ever be considered the top choice.

Thanks a lot for your comment - I was seriously interested in a reply :-)!

Do you think my having a British accent would make a difference, or is the mere label "native speaker" decisive?

Of course I've already made the experience that a picture of the perfect English teacher does exist in Thailand, however, it's always good to hear what people who have already gone through the hiring process think.

Jesus.. why is everyone so aggressive... give this girl a break. She asked a simple question and replied in a very polite way to all your attacks. I have a feeling that some people are feeling a bit threatened by someone who is obviously so well-qualified.

ragamuffin, you can definitely find a job as a non-native speaker if your English is really good, which I'm assuming it is since you lived and studied in England and judging by your experience and degree. The main deciding factors are: 1 - if the employer is a Thai or a Native Speaker of English (most Thais are not able to distinguish between accents or evaluate how good your English is, which is why they use one's nationality as the main selection criterion); 2 - what kind of institution you are applying to - if the place is more results-oriented, your passport is not so important, but rather what you can do; whereas if the place cares more about "image" then they need to be able to tell the parents that they have "British", "American" etc. teachers. (not to mention that even there... as everyone knows, just being female or blond or both helps tremendously...!!)

As for the 6 months, yes that is indeed a problem and most places will not hire you for such a short time. So I would say your only option seems to be working freelance for a language school (teaching either young learners or adults or both).

Hope this helps.

Jesus.. why is everyone so aggressive... give this girl a break. She asked a simple question and replied in a very polite way to all your attacks. I have a feeling that some people are feeling a bit threatened by someone who is obviously so well-qualified.

ragamuffin, you can definitely find a job as a non-native speaker if your English is really good, which I'm assuming it is since you lived and studied in England and judging by your experience and degree. The main deciding factors are: 1 - if the employer is a Thai or a Native Speaker of English (most Thais are not able to distinguish between accents or evaluate how good your English is, which is why they use one's nationality as the main selection criterion); 2 - what kind of institution you are applying to - if the place is more results-oriented, your passport is not so important, but rather what you can do; whereas if the place cares more about "image" then they need to be able to tell the parents that they have "British", "American" etc. teachers. (not to mention that even there... as everyone knows, just being female or blond or both helps tremendously...!!)

As for the 6 months, yes that is indeed a problem and most places will not hire you for such a short time. So I would say your only option seems to be working freelance for a language school (teaching either young learners or adults or both).

Hope this helps.

It does indeed - all topics tackled. Thanks ;-)!

Dear all,

I completed the SIT Graduate Institute TESOL certificate hosted at AUA Language Centre recently, and since then I've been desperately looking for a TEFL position in Bangkok and elsewhere in Thailand. I have since returned to Singapore after the course, and have been sending e-mail after e-mail after e-mail, to no avail. Altogether I must have sent at least 40 e-mails in the past one week, with no more than 3 replies saying they would get back to me if something comes up.

I'm really desperate. I'm convinced I'm not getting any job offers because I'm not a white caucasian from a western country. I'm from Singapore, actually. I have a bachelor's degree from Australia, and, along with this TESOL certificate, should qualifiy me very well for at least an entry level TEFL position.

I don't know what to do. It's been suggested that it's best for me to be in Thailand when looking for a TEFL job. So what do I do? Do I go turning up at schools uninvited? Wouldn't that be an unproductive way of looking? Does being outside of Thailand lessen my chances of getting a position?

I really could do with some help here. Anyone working for an agency or school, please kindly help.

First, you are applying at a bad time. Most schools are already staffed for the year. There is/will be openings, but statistically you are unlikely to apply for one of those schools.

Second, openings that tend to occur now need to be filled immediately and that means local recruitment. For example, I had a teacher resign as of yesterday and will leave immediately, I will fill the position on Monday most likely--it's not for an English teacher though.

Finally, there is a difference in the pay scale at a lot of places for Asian teachers versus 'white' teachers. Because Singapore is a well developed city-state, our director has always been wary of Singaporian natives. The director only wants to pay them the same wage as a Filipino and if they accept, she's rather sure they won't stay. Parents also often want a 'white' face teaching English.

If you are of Chinese descent and a native speaker of Chinese, be sure and put that on your resume as well, since Chinese is a popular language and schools may need an English teacher who can fill in with Chinese classes (or vice versa).

In September and October there may be some openings at the semester time. There is some movement of teachers around then, although it doesn't amount to a lot of openings.

In September and October there may be some openings at the semester time. There is some movement of teachers around then, although it doesn't amount to a lot of openings.

Completely agreed on. The openings in September/ October amount perhaps 10-20 % of the opening at the beginning of the academic year which is May.

It's a bad timing, koralynne.

Granted it may be bad timing now, I still can't sit around in Singapore and wait. I will be arriving in Bangkok on Tuesday but can only stay for about 10 days. I have to do something. What can I do? Stop e-mailing and start calling? Go knocking on doors?

You can do email and go knocking on doors. Check the newspapers for ads, check language schools and start heading out to schools.

Best of luck and keep us posted. If anyone knows of any openings they can PM you.

There is a trilingual school in Bangna--English, Thai and Chinese, I believe. If you speak Chinese, it might be a place to start. Unfortunately, I don't know the address or contact information.