Don'T Buy A Belkin Adsl Modem/Router

sarahsbloke

I have a TOT 1mb down and 512up ADSL line, with the crappy old Billion modem I always got 91kbs torrent downloads

Just bought myself a new Belkin Wireless Modem Router N for 1,390bth from IT City

Setup was very easy BUT ..........

Download speed is now 50kbs for torrents.

I can't believe a new modem can actually work so badly.

Everything else appears to work fine, but modem is a pile of pooh.

1/2 speed, I can't believe it!

Edited by sarahsbloke

I bought a high end Billion modem a little while ago with 3G fallback. Turned out to be a total disaster as the Billion was not compatible with the DSLAM hardware used by Optus in Australia. Ended up going back to my old netgear that is still going strong. The billion would drop put about once every half hour and connected at 5 MB where the Netgear connected at 6.5. Billion swapped the modem twice and still no success, so I got a refund on it.

You should be able to read the modem connect speed on one of the modem pages I would think and that will confirm or not the 1mb connection. It may be less and that could be line/connection/or as little as the wire from modem to phone line. If connected at full speed check speed to provider and then to outside Thailand. Have you set up port forwarding properly? That would cut speed down for torrents.

When connected to the Billion modem .... connection 1024kbs d/ll, 512kbs u/l, torrents on the PC run at 91kBs

When connected to the Belkin modem .... connection 1024kbs d/l, frequent line disconnects, during the next 12 hours the modem negotiates with the ISP and ends up ..... connection 608kbs (stable) d/l, 512kbs u/l, torrents on the PC run at 50kBs.

I can swap the billion/belkin out in about 20 seconds, using same wiring on both and the line speeds and download speeds are consistently different.

Billiion connects at 1024kbs with 91kBs max download speed

Belkin connects at 608kbs with 50kBs max download speed

On exploring internet sites, everyone else seems to think the modem is garbage, so it goes back today.

@lopburi

I thought about port forwarding problems, but as the modem was negotiating a lower connection speed with the ISP, disregarded that thought.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Belkin connects at 608kbs with 50kBs max download speed

Well, that changes everything now doesn't it?

Seems there's a sync issue with the Belkin. Incompatible hardware perhaps?

I've found that ADSL modem/routers equipped with a broadcom chipset work best on Thai DSLAM's.

well I'm also using a Belkin Adsl modem/router and there is no

problem at all with True Internet.

Torrents and websites are working great. Maybe check your ports again and

do a port forwarding.

cheers

If you can't swap the Belkin for a different model, remember that you can create a setup where you use the Billion as modem and the Belkin as router. You will need to switch the Billion to 'brige mode' (wording might differ), that is disabling the router part to avoid double NAT. You might have to google how to do this on the Billion (which is a rebranded Zyxel, is it?) Otherwise the setup is pretty straight forward.

Only real downside is that you have 2 devices drawing power.

welo

well I'm also using a Belkin Adsl modem/router and there is no

problem at all with True Internet.

Torrents and websites are working great. Maybe check your ports again and

do a port forwarding.

cheers

I have one Belkin and mine is crap as well.

Whenever one computer drop the signal and reconnect, the modem would not give a new IP.

Solution is to reset the modem. Good exercise to walk up and down the stairs.

When I bought it, the internet connection would last 2 minutes only. Had to get an updated firmware to correct this.

Used to have a lot of ADSL deconnection, but it seems TRUE have done something and this problem has disappeared.

Solved the problem .... took the Belkin back, got a refund (IT City), and bought a Linksys WAG120N, wireless ADSL2+, n150kbs

Cost an extra 900bht

But connected at 896kbs and downloading at 75kBs, so a lot better than the Belkin.

TOT did tell me I'm right out on the edge, but I can have a free package upgrade next month when they upgrade the area.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Does your Modem / Router have a line quality monitor?

Something like Noise Margin, and Attenuation?

If so, please post the dB values.

As the line had full speed connects before, you should also check your phone cables. Also try bypassing the splitter, and monitor the dB values.

Noise Margin: The higher the better. Under 10: Troubles, 10-20 ok, over 20 good.

Attenuation: The lower the better.