Londoner Soi 33

The drinks prices at the Londoner are really expensive!

They are on par with many places in Covent Garden, only the Londoner is a plastic "Weatherspoons" pub in a red light district in Bangkok.

They are so arrogant. Why would people pay such outragous prices (they do)?

Also Orileys and Irish Exchange on/near Silom road also charge crazy prices - although I have to admit they arent as tacky as the Londoner - which actually more closely resembles an American style bar. Its a far cry from a good British style pub.

You can drink in the Oriental for the same price as Londoner.

I have to admit that the sunday carvery at Londoner for 400B is reasonable value and the food is good.

I have to admit that the sunday carvery at Londoner for 400B is reasonable value and the food is good.

Reminds me, it's sunday and I'll be starving around 8pm, might hit it! :D

Regarding pricing- Bkk top 'nosh' pubs can seem a bit outrageous pricewise but that's to be the norm, for Bkk. Everytime I'm in Pattaya for example, I drop by say, The Pig n Whistle (or any # of 'higher end' type brit pubs) and the food prices are at least 30% (or less) cheaper for larger portions of similar quality fare. (I don't drink beer, so can't compare prices). I wish someone would open a decent grub n grog place like this in bkk- there would be a lineup to get in... :o

Edited by bahtandsold

They are on par with many places in Covent Garden, only the Londoner is a plastic "Weatherspoons" pub in a red light district in Bangkok.

Also Orileys and Irish Exchange on/near Silom road also charge crazy prices - although I have to admit they arent as tacky as the Londoner - which actually more closely resembles an American style bar. Its a far cry from a good British style pub.

wasnt it PT Barnum that said there is a sucker born every minute ?

so they are just catering to suckers?

I have to say they also do a very good xmas dinner in there. For Sunday roast i always go to jools bar :D

DB, I had no idea Jools does a sunday roast- what's the skinny? (fare & trimmings, quality etc) Might just give that a try :D Did the Londoner tonight 420 bt, nice quality carvery on offer, included choice of salad and desert. Dropped by Suk One afterwards and ran into the new board advertiser. Looks quite alright actually, especially the furthest bar back (no mention of sunday roast there as yet tho) :o

Edited by bahtandsold

Never been in the Londoner until yesterday. The end of footy season awards and pissup. I thought it was ok. Dont know about prices though. Everything was free when we were there. Free booze and free nibbles(finger food.) Might try again when i need to pay. :o

IMO, I don't think drinks at Londoner are that expensive (but not a bargain either). Food is reasonably priced for the quality.

Maybe you should try going there on a Wednesday night when drinks are

"2 for 1". :o

I have to say they also do a very good xmas dinner in there. For Sunday roast i always go to jools bar :D

DB, I had no idea Jools does a sunday roast- what's the skinny? (fare & trimmings, quality etc) Might just give that a try :D Did the Londoner tonight 420 bt, nice quality carvery on offer, included choice of salad and desert. Dropped by Suk One afterwards and ran into the new board advertiser. Looks quite alright actually, especially the furthest bar back (no mention of sunday roast there as yet tho) :D

When i say SUNDAY roast they actually cook it everyday. The standard of food is pretty good, obviously not quite as good as the U.K but then you aint in the U.K the 299 chon quoted is about right. They have all the trimmings including English mustard, apple pie etc. The only thing i didnt particularly enjoy about the roast was the yorkshire puddings, they were ok but a little bit stoddgy. Overall i would probably give them a 8/10. They also do some other very nice English food for when you just cant take rice for the 50th time this week. :D

And whats with this riff raff business? Are you saying us people on tv are riff raff :o

Edited by daleyboy

Jools quality is good IMO. Haven't been there a while but the Sunday Dinner used to be 299 baht ( give or take a few )

:o

Went to Jools a few times many years ago (with some of the regulars) and it always stuck in my mind as being the "cliquiest" place I ever found in Bangkok......has it changed at all....?

Jools quality is good IMO. Haven't been there a while but the Sunday Dinner used to be 299 baht ( give or take a few )

:o

Went to Jools a few times many years ago (with some of the regulars) and it always stuck in my mind as being the "cliquiest" place I ever found in Bangkok......has it changed at all....?

That would be my comment as well, been in there a handful of times and not really liked the atmosphere. The same could be said of the Offshore in 23 except I know most of the regular peeps that go there.

:D

That would be my comment as well, been in there a handful of times and not really liked the atmosphere. The same could be said of the Offshore in 23 except I know most of the regular peeps that go there.

Not much 'elbow' room in jools (no offense to the big guy;) but will give the sunday (everyday) roast a go given the reports here.

Cliqueness is really quite amusing in any establishment. I've only ever popped into Offshore and Jools so haven't experienced this at either- they both seemed downright convivial in fact.

My feeling is, if you do come across this anywhere, just leave the clique alone to suffer themselves and they'll eventually cannabalise :D:o:D

Edited by bahtandsold

Not much 'elbow' room in jools (no offense to the big guy;) but will give the sunday (everyday) roast a go given the reports here.

Cliqueness is really quite amusing in any establishment. I've only ever popped into Offshore and Jools so haven't experienced this at either- they both seemed downright convivial in fact.

My feeling is, if you do come across this anywhere, just leave the clique alone to suffer themselves and they'll eventually cannabalise :D :D :D

Exactly i am not there for the clique i go for the food :o

They can charge outrageous prices because there are plenty of overweight cash laden expats willing to pay the markup and "atmosphere" you get in a cruddy pseudo british bar.

My feeling is, if you do come across this anywhere, just leave the clique alone to suffer themselves and they'll eventually cannabalise :D :D :D

I don't care much about the food but like the cliqueness specially in the Offshore which has a good atmosphere with lots of regulars who have either been living in LOS or coming to LOS for ages. Pity though that Preston didn't make it to the Premier League :D

I don't care much about the food but like the cliqueness specially in the Offshore which has a good atmosphere with lots of regulars who have either been living in LOS or coming to LOS for ages. Pity though that Preston didn't make it to the Premier League :D

PRSTON who are they? :D

I tried my hardest not to let Ray see my pleasure at that result :D

So to sum up what you've said about 'The Londoner' It's expensive, but reasonable & terrible but nice. I don't think I'll go there then. Twice. :o

Did he let you switch on the TV in the bar :D

Did he let you switch on the TV in the bar :D

......said with a Deepdale pronunciation 'only live sports and golf is not a sport'

A lot of riff raff in Jools bar!

DB, I had no idea Jools does a sunday roast- what's the skinny? (fare & trimmings, quality etc) Might just give that a try :D Did the Londoner tonight 420 bt, nice quality carvery on offer, included choice of salad and desert. Dropped by Suk One afterwards and ran into the new board advertiser. Looks quite alright actually, especially the furthest bar back (no mention of sunday roast there as yet tho) :D

When i say SUNDAY roast they actually cook it everyday. The standard of food is pretty good, obviously not quite as good as the U.K but then you aint in the U.K the 299 chon quoted is about right. They have all the trimmings including English mustard, apple pie etc. The only thing i didnt particularly enjoy about the roast was the yorkshire puddings, they were ok but a little bit stoddgy. Overall i would probably give them a 8/10. They also do some other very nice English food for when you just cant take rice for the 50th time this week. :D

And whats with this riff raff business? Are you saying us people on tv are riff raff :o

They can charge outrageous prices because there are plenty of overweight cash laden expats willing to pay the markup and "atmosphere" you get in a cruddy pseudo british bar.

I know the owner of The Londoner... a chap by the name of John Stamp.

He runs an emplyment agency business in Bangkok, specifically targeting the oil and gas market.

And most of the clique that regularly eat and drink there are oil and gas industry expats.

Clique my arse.

I know the owner of The Londoner... a chap by the name of John Stamp.

He runs an emplyment agency business in Bangkok, specifically targeting the oil and gas market.

And most of the clique that regularly eat and drink there are oil and gas industry expats.

The main problem with the Londoner is the lack of a decent pint. His 'English Bitter' would be banned under the trade descriptions act if he was in the UK. Positively awful.

But his nosh is pretty good and 5 quid for a decent meal isn't too bad. Some of the waitresses are pretty fit too....