Partnering With An Organic Farmer

I have always had an interest in living healthy. One of the components of that is eating healthy products. There are many other components of course, but I am interested in organic farming and admits that I lack the technical skills for farming.

I wonder if there is someone out there looking for a business partner (Thai local, regional or national scale - I am not starting out with an international scale, but who knows?)

I do a lot of advisory and direct own-investment work in developing countries and always marvel at the local populations knowledge of natures good and bad cycles in farming.

I have lived here for 15+ years and have always wanted to get into this field of work. Write or PM me on this issue on partnering. But I would welcome a public discussion on how technical and business knowledge could be married to achieve better yields for local farmers focusing on organic farming.

I suggest that you get in touch with my friend Jeff of Fair Earth Farm; he is a member of this forum, 'tjrutherford' although does not post frequently. Jeff is doing just that, networking with organic farmers and pooling resources and knowledge; he's a hel_l of a nice guy, knowledgeable and community service oriented. He speaks and reads fluent Thai and Chinese and is well connected in organic farming circles in northern Thailand and beyond. He is in Indonesia right now giving a training course, but will return soon. http://www.fairearthfarm.com/

I suggest that you get in touch with my friend Jeff of Fair Earth Farm; he is a member of this forum, 'tjrutherford' although does not post frequently. Jeff is doing just that, networking with organic farmers and pooling resources and knowledge; he's a hel_l of a nice guy, knowledgeable and community service oriented. He speaks and reads fluent Thai and Chinese and is well connected in organic farming circles in northern Thailand and beyond. He is in Indonesia right now giving a training course, but will return soon. http://www.fairearthfarm.com/

Thanks for the input. I will make sure to have a look at the website. Will let you know of any development out of that. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested in how things turn out with your thoughts too.

I am in a similar position - I want to be involved in developing a sustainable life for my family and assisting local interested people to do the same.

I've worked a bit with a local Thai NGO, but really I believe that communities need to build their own sustainable life, not rely on handouts from outsiders.

But... I need to make some money, pay back some debts and buy some land first, so my plans are on hold.

But I'm interested.

My wife has a farming background and understands my thinking and supports organic farming - if that helps.

We are in Chiang Rai if you happen to be up this way, we could talk.