Where To Get Cheap But Good Quality Prescription Glasses In Bangkok

Dublin01

Hi All,

i've searched the site but seems a lot of conflicting messages so I'm posting here in hopes of finding some advice.

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy prescription glasses and sunglasses here in Bangkok area . I know there are many opticians like Charoen etc but they seem on epensive side .

Any advice would be appreciated, I have a very simple short sighted prescription.

Thanks in Advance,

N

If you go to Chinatown you can find the shops that sell glasses wholesale to the street traders. They include prescription (reading) glasses etc. I doubt if you will pay more than 100 baht for a pair or about 50 baht if you buy in bulk. Try Charoen Krung Road near the Worachak Road junction.

If you go to Chinatown you can find the shops that sell glasses wholesale to the street traders. They include prescription (reading) glasses etc. I doubt if you will pay more than 100 baht for a pair or about 50 baht if you buy in bulk. Try Charoen Krung Road near the Worachak Road junction.

Thanks a lot , I'll try that but I also was hoping for recommendation for cheap opticians with good frames etc. I have prescription through Rutnick eye hospital already.

If anyone has good quality reasonable priced optician would be most grateful for your recommendation

again , appreciate you taking time to respond,

Thanks,

Neal

The most economical option is an old-styled family run optical shop as opposed to the many chains.

These often double as watch-sellers and are a vanishing breed but can still be found in the provinces and in outlying areas of Bangkok, but probably not downtown. Best to just wander about a middle class Thai neighborhood until you find one, unless another member can advise a specific location..

Because these are family run and owned (and often the shop is also the family residence), they have much more flexibility in terms of sales price and if they like you (key to successful bargaining in Thailand!), you may get a very good deal. I was recently able to get a very nice pair of bifocals for my sister at total price of just a little over 1,500 Baht(frame included) at such a shop in Prachinburi.

Forget the chains shop in malls etc. They are all pricey, try to push expensive imported frames and anyway the sales staff have limited power to discount.

The "mom and pop" shops are also much faster as they do all their own work while the optical franchise shops send out for the grinding and fitting iof the lenses. My sisters glasses were made right there in front of us in about 1 hour.

• Like 1

Another option is to buy it online. I ordered 3 weeks ago a eyeglasses from a german company who work together with a Hongkong and Thai company. They have a very big range of frames with the option of a lot of different colors of glasses. You can upload your photo and checkout what frame fit to your face. Than you order it. You must pay first.

For me it had need 3 days that they received my payment. I get a email for notification. Then they sent the frame from germany to a thai company who produce the glasses. All together it had need 10 days from my ordering to get the frame with post.

Thats all for a fixprice from £39.90 & a worldwide deliverycharge from £5. This included:

- High-quality spectacle frames

- Extra-slim plasticlenses

- Individually made prescription glasses

- Anti-reflection coating

- Scratch resistant hard coating

- EMI Anti-Radiation coating

- UV protection

- Hydrophobic easy-clean coating

- Tinted lenses if required

You can take a look at: Brille24.co.uk

You can become a £5 Discount, but they don't have a couponservice. For this I must go in my Brille24-Account and send a email to a friend. This friend discount is not transferable. So, if somebody interested send me a pm with your name and email and I will send you a discount email.

Edited by snowgard

I ordered from here www.zennioptical.com

Delivered up north in a week,I picked the cheapest frame,very good quality for around a 1000thb

get your eyes tested first and ask them for a print out of the results and you need the PD

(The PD or Pupillary Distance is the distance between the pupils of the eyes, center to center, in Millimeters)

The wife and I have been using Nice Optic for years. It's a small what appears to be family run place on a soi leading into Siam Square. The address is 198 Siam Square Soi 1 Rama 1 Prathumwan.

They have a good selection of frames and lenses. Eye tests are free and the glasses are ready in an hour.

The last couple we bought cost less than 2,000 a pair and that included clip-on sunglasses for one pair.

As for Charoen I've had bad experiences with them.(poorly shaped lenses that kept falling out plus incorrect PG)