Day Trips Outside Bangkok

happydays

My wife & I will be spending 5 days in Bangkok & we're thinking about things to do apart from shopping. For example I came across the Siam Winery near Hua Hin which does daily visits - has anyone been there & would they recommend it? Is it doable in 1 day?

We live in Thailand & have been to Bangkok many times so we've been to the obvious places like Ayutthaya. I'd like to see some traditional & less touristy places - do they still exist?

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

If you're interested in nature, then pay a very short visit to the Bridge Over The River Kwae in Kanchanaburi province. Then continue to the Sai Yok waterfall and the Erawan waterfall, also in Kanchanaburi province. All can be done in one day from Bangkok. Hope this helps. jap.gif

Edited by Microwave

a very beautiful place is the Ancient City at Samut Prakham (Sukumvit Road) . better  let your thai G/F buy the ticket (charge farand soo much) and after you park your Car ,take(rent) a Golf  Car and drive around .

If you're interested in nature, then pay a very short visit to the Bridge Over The River Kwae in Kanchanaburi province. Then continue to the Sai Yok waterfall and the Erawan waterfall, also in Kanchanaburi province. All can be done in one day from Bangkok. Hope this helps. jap.gif

1 very long day... Ya'd be better off staying overnight at one of the hotels on the way upto the waterfalls..

Perhaps a long day, depending on the person. My wife and I had no problem doing this trip in one day. If it is too much, then dropping the Sai Yok waterfall visit would be my advice. The Erawan waterfall and national park is the prettier of the 2 waterfalls imho.

You're most welcome for the suggestion.

Edited by Microwave

a shortish taxi ride from downtown will take you to the Thai Naval History Park at Chulachomklao Fortress, on the mouth of the Chao Praya River..

quite an educational place i thought, you can also board & explore H.T.M.S. Maeklong, a 60yr old veteran warship now preserved there.

there's also an extensive series of boardwalk trails through the mangrove forest (the main draw for me, looking for Mangrove Whistlers & other avians :) )

a restaurant is there so you can get a bite to eat too..

a recommended half-to-full day jaunt by the River, not far from hectic central Bangkok..

more info look .here.

If you want to go to a Winery I recommend Granmonte in Khao Yai. Its not too far away (much closer than Hua Hin) about 1.5 - 2 hrs depending on traffic (I take it slow once I get in amongst the mountains just to take in the scenery its a lovely drive.

Oh and of course, the wine is actually pretty good and they have a very nice Italian restaurant. Really a top day out.

You can do it in a day and that would be fine, but we just made a weekend of it, stayed up there and visited Chok Chai Farm on the way home, which is another nice day trip (if you have little ones). Beef eating adults will appreciate their marbled premium steaks and frankly the best ice cream I have had in Thailand.