Neep Help,want To By New Computer

hardy1943

Bought new HP PAVILION a 1051L with Windows Pro installed,the store set up everthing in my house,only problem was it refused to download anything,they finally took it back, now they are trying to set up another one seem to have the same problem,I am ready to tell them to install the XP Home,but I understand XP Home here in Thailand is not the same then in the U S. Does anyone have any suggestions?

No, the XP Home here is the same. There's another XP version available here that's not available in the US, a basic version, and that version you don't want.

However, I don't see how using XP home instead of Pro will help things... more likely add more problems rather than solve the current one.

No, the XP Home here is the same.  There's another XP version available here that's not available in the US, a basic version, and that version you don't want.

However, I don't see how using XP home instead of Pro will help things... more likely add more problems rather than solve the current one.

Do you mean windows xp for thailand only

Definitely insist on XP Pro. It offers a lot of extra features such as speech recognition, advanced security / policy editor, better networking etc. Even if you don't ever use these things, it is nice to know that they are available to you.

Your download problem isn't caused by having XP Pro... it works for me and lots of other users as well. More likely that the installation (or the disc) is corrupted. Get them to try clean installing another Win XP Pro CD.

There are three versions available for Thailand

XP Home Edition

XP Pro Edition

XP Starter Edition (Thai Language Only)

Up until XP, Microsoft did have a Domestic and Export version of it's operating systems, this was due to the USA government having restrictions on the Export of (what was then) strong encryption, and Export versions were limited to DES encryption whereas the Domestic version (USA & Canada) used Triple DES encryption.

hardy1943 - According to HP specifications, the model 1051L is a desktop tower, sold only in Thailand and has the following factory specifications:

. P4(515) 2.93GHs Processor (533 FSB)

. 256MB RAM

. Motherboard: Asus PTGD1-LA

. HDD: 80GB, 7200rpm, SATA

. 16x DVD(+/-)R/RW Dual Layer drive

. Operating System: FreeDOS

Were you aware the 1051L comes with FreeDOS as the factory installed operating system? (More info here HP 1051L and FreeDOS)

Was the Windows XP Pro installed the only OS or was the system set up as a "dual-boot" (XP and FreeDOS)?

When you say it won't "download anything", could you expand on that a little. For example:

1. Was the version of Windows XP Pro installed, SP1 or SP2?

2. What additional software did that computer have installed? (Antivirus? Anti-Spyware? Firewall? etc.)

3. Were you able to read, install programs using the computers CD or DVD-ROM drive?

4. Is your internet connection dialup or broadband?

5. Is your internet connection wired or wireless?

6. Using that computer, were you able to connect to the internet and surf?

cheers :o