“Farang’ Behavior On A Thai Golf Course.

thaigolfer

As a golfer I would like to respond to all of this none sense with a couple of points to this thread. And yes I do not try to put up my count but do receive all emails alerts and read everyday!

Golf is supposed to be played "in the spirit of the game" (R & A 2008 – 2011 Rules of Golf – section 1 page 26 ) The game relies on the integrity of the individual to show consideration for other players and abide by the rules.  All players should conduct themselves in a disciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times, irrespective of how competitive they may be.

Safety – Players should not play until the players in front are out of range.

No disturbance or distraction – Players should always show consideration for other players on the course and should not disturb their play by moving, talking or making unnecessary noise.

Priority on the course – Unless otherwise determined by the committee, priority on the course is determined by a group's pace of play. Any group playing a whole round is entitled to pass a group playing a shorter round. The "term" group includes a single player.

Slow play – It is the responsibility to keep up with the group in front. If it losers a clear hole and it is delaying the group behind, it should invite the group behind to play through irrespective of the number of the players in that group.

1.       Firstly Mr golfer I feel you are not telling the whole truth – are you?

2.       Why do try to infer you are Thai – when you are clearly NOT – what nationality are you? Heck it must be catching I sound like you now – asking questions!

3.       If you have been playing for 30 years you should show more consideration

4.       The group on the first occasion did recognize you URGENCY to proceed and did invite you to play through

5.       The man walking across the fairway was attempting to get out of the way and I don't understand why a player has to stand on the left hand side of the fairway, even if that is where his ball is. He has admitted he is an older gentleman and I do not feel that it took 20 seconds for anyone playing golf to walk 70 yds – statistically he would he to be using a zimmer frame and each pace of over 3 seconds – ha ha ha – ridiculous!

6.       If that was your first bad shot of the day – well done you exceed us all and some of the professionals and we should be watching you on the television – NOT!

7.       Who really cares what tee you were playing off!!

8.       Why did you walk up to the group on the 17th tee – whilst they were teeing off and started to speak – of course there was no comment they were teeing off!!

9.       You asked if you could finish the last two holes together and the answer was NO – what is wrong with that??? - they were clearly playing a game together – DO YOU ALWAYS GET YOUR OWN WAY – I WONDER?

10.   As pointed out and you have not disagreed – they were following a 5 ball and were keeping up with the pace of play in front – THEY DO NOT have to invite you to play through – however you didn't want to play through you wanted to join

11.   Who are you to approach anyone and ask for names?????? – was there an accident?

12.   "Those big courageous farangs" – very aggressive talk! Do you think that by not entertaining your stupid questions they were being REAL GENTLEMEN and diffusing the situation?

13.   Did you really speak to the caddies – TELL THE TRUTH! Ha ha ha I think ridiculous – if there was such a big problem to you why didn't you talk to the MANAGEMENT or the starter! I wonder???? The caddies cannot do anything!

14.   It was your pride that was hurt because of YOUR attitude that they didn't want you to play with them.

15.   BTW; when you notice I am ready to hit and all of your  5 ball waived me to play, YOU NOT START CROSSING THE FAIRWAY ANYMORE. You just wait on the left side where you were, until I finish my shot. Capito? - Heck! are you shouting here - YOU NOT START CROSSING THE FAIRWAY ANYMORE – sounds like a threat and to tell someone to stand in any spot – again I wonder if you are the police, or just an aggressive, arrogant person who has to have his own way?

16.   If you are a real calm stand up pillar of the community who is caring and considerate to others and just had a BAD DAY! We all have them.

17.   Sounds like – someone has spat their dummy out! – had their toy taken off them – dropped their teddy out of the pram!

18.   The 19th hole is open to everyone – there is no problem with anyone having a beer after a round of golf! THOUSANDS DO!

19.   To the very stupid uploaded comments re: send a zinger over their heads – just play through them – just hit the ball – what absolute stupidity!!!!! Safety at all times

20.   Really loved the youtube video – made me laugh!

Further observation to all the threads I read daily – WHAT difference does it make to anyone if they have only 1 post as long as it benefits all who read it – there is NO POINT in posting one or two word idiotic comments just to put up your count, who really cares if you want to be a super super super grandfather member (must be a face thing) – benefit us all with some intelligent comments!

Have a good day – Gentlemen!!

-----------------------------

@ rich54321

Ok, Mister “rich54321”, I will try to answer until I gettired of it. I spent more time in front of my PC since I signed up Thaivisa 2days ago, as normally in a whole month.

You never know who posts so it might be, you are one of the5-ball, trying to defend their actions. I don’t know.

-Golf is supposed to be played “in the spirit of thegame” (R & A 2008 – 2011 Rules of Golf – section 1 page 26 ) The gamerelies on the integrity of the individual to show consideration for otherplayers and abide by the rules. All players should conduct themselves in adisciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times,irrespective of how competitive they may be

That’s the reason I posted the OP.

-Safety – Players should not play until the players infront are out of range.

That’s why I did not played and had to wait, being ready tohit, for 20 seconds.

-No disturbance or distraction – Players should alwaysshow consideration for other players on the course and should not disturb theirplay by moving, talking or making unnecessary noise.

“Skill32” started moving by crossing the fairway very slowly(at half the pace of a slow Thai player) while pretentious and provocative lookingat me, when the others waived me to hit and I was ready to do so.

-Priority on the course – Unless otherwise determined bythe committee, priority on the course is determined by a group’s pace of play.Any group playing a whole round is entitled to pass a group playing a shorterround. The “term” group includes a single player.

I was behind the 5-ball from the 10 th on. First waiting anddistract myself a bit but as they moved on so slowly, I decided to ask to playtrough as nobody was in front of them.

-Slow play – It is the responsibility to keep up with thegroup in front. If it losers a clear hole and it is delaying the group behind,it should invite the group behind to play through irrespective of the number ofthe players in that group.

They didn’t catch up with the group in front as there was agap of 3 holes in between. They did not invite me to play trough; I had to makea sign to request permission from them.

-1. Firstly Mr golfer I feel you are not telling thewhole truth – are you?

Why you think you feel I am not telling the truth? I have noreason at all by not telling the truth. Of course I am telling the truth anddozens of golfers in CM know me as an honest and respectful man. I wanted topost what happened on the course only and was hoping some people would realizethey not alone on the course and have to respect others. It was hope only; I realizeafter reading most of the posts, it will not happen.

-2. Why do try to infer you are Thai – when you areclearly NOT – what nationality are you? Heck it must be catching I sound likeyou now – asking questions!

I never intended to be Thai! Where do you get that? I had tofind a name while signing up at Thaivisa and Thaigolfer was coming in my head. Doyou think Thaivisa is managed by Thai? I live in Thailand for many months ayear so, why not? I don’t understand your comment on this. I come from a countrywhere we speak a completely different language and not too many of us are inThailand. Many of the posters here will know me immediately and this topic is becomingout of control. So, you have to search my posts and think.

-3. If you have been playing for 30 years you should showmore consideration

Why? What has the 30 years to do with it? They are holdingme up for 1 hour and have to let me play trough if they play with the rightspirit. Everybody playing golf knows that. The second time, I ask to join whichis fully normal. They refuse which is not normal. Everybody playing golf knowthat as well.

-4. The group on the first occasion did recognize youURGENCY to proceed and did invite you to play through

The 5-ball on the first occasion is of course the same asthe 4-ball on the second. Only one player less. I had to ask for permissionafter being 1 hour behind.

-5. The man walking across the fairway was attempting toget out of the way and I don’t understand why a player has to stand on the lefthand side of the fairway, even if that is where his ball is. He has admitted heis an older gentleman and I do not feel that it took 20 seconds for anyoneplaying golf to walk 70 yds – statistically he would he to be using a zimmerframe and each pace of over 3 seconds – ha ha ha – ridiculous!

He was NOT attempting to get out of the way at all. He wasstanding on the left of the fairway while all waived me to hit my shot. Youstand somewhere on the course, right? So he was standing at that moment at theleft. He not HAS to stand there. It just happens you are there at thatparticular moment in time. By then only (when I had to hit my shot) he started walking(instead of waiting until I finish my shot) at the pace I told you, andcrossing the fairway from left to right. It is not that difficult to understandif you want to understand of course. If this sounds ridiculous to you, then youare not a golfer I guess.

-6. If that was your first bad shot of the day – welldone you exceed us all and some of the professionals and we should be watchingyou on the television – NOT!

Yes, sometimes I play well and I defeat pro’s already. Itold you ‘sometimes”, OK.

-7. Who really cares what tee you were playing off!!

Nobody but I stand behind them on the tee-off so they HAVEto see me.

-8. Why did you walk up to the group on the 17th tee –whilst they were teeing off and started to speak – of course there was nocomment they were teeing off!!

They were standing on the tee-off but not ready to play. Theyhad a chat together when I arrived. I would never say something approaching atee while people playing. I said “Good afternoon young man”. No comment cameand also no comment when I asked to finish the last 2 holes together. There wasa group in front of them so I could not ask to play trough on this occasion.This situation was different as the week before they had nobody in front.

-9. You asked if you could finish the last two holestogether and the answer was NO – what is wrong with that??? - they were clearlyplaying a game together – DO YOU ALWAYS GET YOUR OWN WAY – I WONDER?

They do what they want of course, but it is completely againstall spirits, fair play and etiquette of golf. Many times, being in a 3 or4-ball even Thai people will ask to finish together if there is a group just infront, even if they are in a 4-5-6 ball. Yes, they were playing a gametogether; but you mean, when you play a game together, you don’t have torespect anything anymore? Strange thinking.

-10. As pointed out and you have not disagreed – theywere following a 5 ball and were keeping up with the pace of play in front –THEY DO NOT have to invite you to play through – however you didn’t want toplay through you wanted to join

2 weeks and 2 different situations. First week; they play a 5-ball,1 hour behind them, a gap of 3 holes in front of them, ask to play trough a fewtimes.  Second week; they play a 4-ball,standing together on the tee-off 17th, Thai 4-ball in front of them, 2 holes toplay, starts raining, ask to finish together.

-11. Who are you to approach anyone and ask fornames?????? – was there an accident?

We met, once again, at the 18th after I finishedthe 17th. My wife was really shocked because she thinks that all “farangs”are better than Thai. We had 2 weeks in a row problem with them. The first weekhaving a caddy, the second week not. I told them I would post some comments onthe net as they behave no good. I told dozens of golfers about this already and95% agree with me. 5% have no opinion (don’t want to have an opinion). So,after announcing them my own name I asked for a name of them. Nothing wrong tome with that. Every time I go out, people have been asking for my name, everytime they get my name. Why not? Oh yes, when you have something to hide may be?When you did something wrong may be?

-13. Did you really speak to the caddies – TELL THETRUTH! Ha ha ha I think ridiculous – if there was such a big problem to you whydidn’t you talk to the MANAGEMENT or the starter! I wonder???? The caddiescannot do anything!

You think the starter will do something in Thailand? Come on…..The management is never around at Gassan. At the good courses in the US yes.Going to the starter there they would have no excuse anymore. The first week hewould told them already long time to move on and let me play trough. The secondweek he would have told them “If he cannot finish the last two holes with you,being behind a 4-ball, you cannot play anymore, go home and never come back.Finish. I lived near some of the best courses and I know what I am talkingabout; they NOT laughing with slow play or playing against the etiquette.

-14. It was your pride that was hurt because of YOURattitude that they didn’t want you to play with them.

Hahaha, time to stop, I am really tired of this.

-15. BTW; when you notice I am ready to hit and all ofyour 5 ball waived me to play, YOU NOT START CROSSING THE FAIRWAY ANYMORE. Youjust wait on the left side where you were, until I finish my shot. Capito? -Heck! are you shouting here - YOU NOT START CROSSING THE FAIRWAY ANYMORE –sounds like a threat and to tell someone to stand in any spot – again I wonderif you are the police, or just an aggressive, arrogant person who has to havehis own way?

Sir, with all my respects but I think you are NOT a golfer. However,If you really are, you better should play a 6-ball with them.

Bye bye and have a nice weekend.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone REALLY want to take this thread any further?

I think its run its course,(excuse the pun) and I don't really think the issues between the two individuals can be reconciled. at least not on this forum.

They could take a swing and a drive at one and other, only in a fair-way of course, I am sure everyone could putt up with that. ;)

I read an interview with a sportswriter who told about his interviews with various athletes.

He said baseball players tell the best stories,

football (US) players are the drama queens,

golfers are the biggest whiners.

Can't disagree.

so many posts. Did anyone ever figure out what country or culture the OP Thaigolfer is from?

He cryptically say's

"I come from a countrywhere we speak a completely different language and not too many of us are inThailand"

I would be interested to know his point of view from cultural origin. It might explain a lot about his expectations and social interaction.

any informed guesses? should we start a lottery?

I think its run its course,(excuse the pun) and I don't really think the issues between the two individuals can be reconciled. at least not on this forum.

Well yes, I do. I was a member of the original 5-ball.

As you can see I have created a new name today. Here is why. If I didn't I would be afraid for my safety.

Thaigolfer claims he was behind us for 3-4 holes, waiting on every shot. Simply not true! His recollection of what happened on the 13th hole is pretty good, so here is the challenge thaigolfer, tell the forum what happened on the 12th hole. If you were watching and waiting so impatiently, you would have seen a memorable sequence of events. Much more interesting than the 13th fairway, especially for such a great golfer. I would be happy to pm the events ahead of time to the poster I am responding to. Seems like a random selection to me. If your recollection of the events matches even somewhat to what I pm ahead, I will apologize profusely. It will confirm I did not see you standing on the tee, alone and ready to go.

As soon as we did see you, we said, "let's call this guy through". Our caddies said "NO". As true gentlemen of the game we over ruled the caddies and called you on. I have to wonder why the caddies said "NO", as I have never seen this from them before. A simple lapse of concentration and communication occurred after that. One of our players did not stand still, but he was watching you. Is that worth a federal case? I suspect you needed someone to blame your bad shot on, as you never make mistakes.

If we see you on the course again, we will let you play through, if it is appropriate. Please don't ask to join us. The answer will be the same. We came to the course as a five-some, because we enjoy each others company. You came as a single for whatever reason. First time we saw you we let you play through. You lectured every one of us at length about one guy who was not a "statue" as you played your tee-shot--not a gentlemanly act. This even as one of our guys was saying, in a very friendly manner, "sorry for the distraction, just put a birdie on your card."

Second time they saw you you were somewhat friendly. I guess because it suited your needs. Not because it is your nature.

Yes we will be there Monday, but we are going to have a discussion with management about your behaviour and our safety on the course. You are welcome to do the same.

Finally, I have posted this not because I think I can get Thaigolfer to be reasonable, but because I was concerned more about the members that sympathized with him after only hearing one side of the story. Please think critically, otherwise if you have a gripe you just get on here, and start throwing crap against the wall, and some of it will stick. First thrower has the most credibility. Shouldn't be that way.

Thaigolfer, if you ever are not so obnoxious and so aggressive, I am sure there is room for compromise. Life is too short. Maybe someday we will look back, laugh and play the last 4-5 holes in together.

Perhaps we can even match skills, if you don't mind such "easy pickins".

so many posts. Did anyone ever figure out what country or culture the OP Thaigolfer is from?

He cryptically say's

"I come from a countrywhere we speak a completely different language and not too many of us are inThailand"

I would be interested to know his point of view from cultural origin. It might explain a lot about his expectations and social interaction.

I would guess Klingon but simply pure spockulation.

He cryptically say's

I would guess Klingon but simply pure spockulation.

Very heavy accent, maybe Belgian. And BTW, to all those American bashers out there, the kindest guy in our group that was suggesting he take a birdie was American. Yes the very worst of any culture can stereotype the rest, but most good deeds go unnoticed.

First of all I did not read all the posts but Cardinal Blue and a few others make good points. I have been playing golf for 45 years and have run into all sorts on the golf course and also in life!!!! I played last week and my wife rode along in the buggy, played in 2 hours flat and I only had to play through one foursome but.....I made sure that I was in a position to play through at a tee box. They gladly let me hit and were very kind, I rushed my shot (a poor one) and they said to just take my time. Bottom line sometimes it's how you approach things...I only had about 5 holes to go when I played through....even if I would have had to wait I would of finished in 3 hours. A 4 hour round is usually the norm according to most guidelines but as most golfers know this is sometimes a stretch on a busy day (or even on a not so busy day). Golf is a game where you can watch people play and learn about integrity and sportsmanship....if they cheat, who are they cheating...you play against the course. This also applies to this situation on the character of the person(s).

My 2, 3 and 4 cents....

Mike

Exactly right. No need to create a mountain from a molehill. Sorry for even responding in a way, but we all have our pride. To be painted with a tar brush for an innocent omission, just needed to be defended. We are not a group of golfers that need education or lecturing. Do we make some mistakes--of course. But we correct them as soon as we are aware of them, smile and go on. Thaigolfer, just relax. Did you come to Thailand to get worked up about such trivialities? If so maybe you should go back home.

He cryptically say's

Is he Colin Montgomery?

• Like 1

First of all I did not read all the posts but Cardinal Blue and a few others make good points. I have been playing golf for 45 years and have run into all sorts on the golf course and also in life!!!! I played last week and my wife rode along in the buggy, played in 2 hours flat and I only had to play through one foursome but.....I made sure that I was in a position to play through at a tee box. They gladly let me hit and were very kind, I rushed my shot (a poor one) and they said to just take my time. Bottom line sometimes it's how you approach things...I only had about 5 holes to go when I played through....even if I would have had to wait I would of finished in 3 hours. A 4 hour round is usually the norm according to most guidelines but as most golfers know this is sometimes a stretch on a busy day (or even on a not so busy day). Golf is a game where you can watch people play and learn about integrity and sportsmanship....if they cheat, who are they cheating...you play against the course. This also applies to this situation on the character of the person(s).

My 2, 3 and 4 cents....

Mike

I didn't read all the posts in detail but did anyone bring up the use/purpose of the marshal? At least in America, they settle all disputes and the better the course, the better the marshal. Now in Thailand, we would be asking a Thai to problem-solve applying the interpretation of the universal golf rules as well as local rules within a foreign language/culture. My expectations would below low so wondering if anyone has used them for issues in question in thailand?

There really is never a reason to directly confront another golfer on the course; call the marshal as that is his job. While i have never had to use the marshal, they are there as a mediator and judge. I have seen many times golfers confront other golfers usually out of emotion letting them get the best of themselves. What is ironic is usually they wish to bitch or complain (right or wrong) about another's action of not knowing the rules when they completely omit the use of the marshal. Kind of like not knowing the rules themselves and what is the proper ettiquite on the course.....

I did get a chuckle ffrom the poster's "caddy Mot" remark. Heavens, please don't consume them like food or shower towels; "Caddies bpai laew" I will accept...

CB

About using a marshall, the ones I have came across are less than useless. One time out we were a 3-ball behind a 5-ball of old farts, older than us anyway (one of these old fellas was a member there). There was nobody in front of them, they saw us behind them, at the end of the first par 3, there is a drink stand, nope, they didn't sit down and have a drink, they diligently went about teeing off. So we sat down had a drink before we teed off. Needless to say we were back up behind them rather quick like, and before the next drink stand a marshall came by, we pointed to them and the caddies explained the situation. Nothing changed, they played on, holding us up. My take is maybe they think it would be a loss of face thing to let somebody play through, especially as one of them was a member.

@  OzGolferInCM

Thaigolfer, if you ever are not so obnoxious and soaggressive, I am sure there is room for compromise. Life is too short. Maybesomeday we will look back, laugh and play the last 4-5 holes in together.

Perhaps we can even match skills, if you don't mind such"easy pickins".

This sounds much better already. We (will play a 3-ball) will be there on Monday (if the weather is decent). If we play faster, get stuck behind, and nobody in front of you, just let us go. We can be the best friends.

I think, one day, somewhere, we own each other a beer. I hope your friend can say sorry by that time.

BTW; I have learned more about golfers in 2 days Thaivisa then in all my rounds on the course together.Thanks to your 5-ball. It was for sure an enlightening experience.

Bye bye Thaivisa, I might not look at you for a while.

Playing by yourself is kinda like playing with yourself. Nobody gets to see if you hit a great shot.

This has become a personal problem, and, really, has nothing to do with golf. Chill! You can't play when you can't relax.

The Jackass video reminded me how my brother drives a cart. He was driving fast, hit a bump, made a sharp right, and, next thing I knew I was airborne. I landed right on a tree stump, on my ass, and wanted to kill him. He still drives trhe same way, and I love him dearly, but I never take my eye off of him.

What's the hurry?

A very entertaining thread. Who would have thought such a dull & boring activity would offer more twists and cattiness than a Thai soap opera. Next time, you ladies should go for the hair pulling or slapping. I keep thinking of that Dynasty episode where Alexis and the blonde babe start going at it and fall into the pool. Any chance you can shoot some video and upload it?

Actually its been a very entertaining thread. Perhaps these boys could meet again in a boxing ring or something for a finale. :lol:

A very entertaining thread. Who would have thought such a dull & boring activity would offer more twists and cattiness than a Thai soap opera.

Bite your tongue, 'dull & boring', what are you talking about. Golf is a bit like Cricket, its a thinking mans sport, one when the brain plays as much importance as the broan.

Let me guess geri, you get ur kicks out of jumping off cliffs and tall buildings with a small parachute strapped to ur back? :lol: Madman !

Thanks for the entertainment gentlemen, Im going to plan my next trip to CM & make sure I throw the golf clubs in.....what day was that, Mondays? :drunk:

We can be the best friends.I think, one day, somewhere, we own each other a beer. I hope your friend can say sorry by that time. BTW; I have learned more about golfers in 2 days Thaivisa then in all my rounds on the course together. Thanks to your 5-ball. It was for sure an enlightening experience.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Farang Golf-Gladiators,

Forgiveness and compassion have been launched off the tee powerfully: may it be a holy-in-one for all of you !

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37